PDA

View Full Version : Beginnings! New Composition!

Frederick
04-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Hi Fellas,

Great forum! To celebrate I thought I would post an mp3 of something I worked on at the first of the year. Hope you enjoy it - thanks.

Beginnings.mp3 (http://www.vi-control.net/mymusic/Beginning-Master.mp3)

As always, let me know what you think - thanks!

Frederick

MCS
04-07-2005, 01:43 AM
That sounds great to me! Rich and big.
Very well done!

Best,
Michael

Sean R. Beeson
04-07-2005, 06:40 AM
Sounds very nice. The french horn in the middle? Was the EWQLSO sounds? The Perfect fifth interval? Anyway. I would just make sure your staccatos aren't repeated at the same velocity level. Also I would lower the volume of the strings, just a small small bit. One other thing, when using patches that do not have instant attacks, makke sure intentionally that the MIDI notes do not line up. Offset them a little, because the ears can begin to predict the attacks of the sounds, or instead cover them in orchestration.

Overall a great and interesting piece, thanks for sharing!

Sean

Beach
04-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Great work,
I like your orchestration!
Keep on make music,
best,
Roberto

Frederick
04-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Sean, great idea regarding staggering times to make it sound a little less clinically precise and more real. Thanks!

BenwaRwa
04-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Very interesting what you've done. I'm new to EWQLSO too. A few questions:

1. Tell me, what sequencer program are you using?
2. We can use only 8 different instruments with Kompakt included in EWQLSO. How many tracks do yo use? If I need 12 tracks, I cannot use EWQLSO?
3. Do you use only your computer to make this music or you have some other hardware like, preamp, mixer and other sound devices?
4. Is there any books or website about making music with program like EWQLSO?

Thank you and continue to work on your own music.

Tkank you,
Benwa

Frederick
04-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Hi Benwa,

Thanks! Currently I'm using Logic on a Mac G5, and also a second computer (VisionDAW PC). Regarding track count in the Kompakt player, you can assign instance #1 to send midi tracks 1-8, instance #2 to send midi tracks 9-16.

On a Mac G5 with enough memory its possible to have many instances of kompakt. To do so you'll just need to configure your sequencer's midi to receive different midi instruments just like you would for more than one synth. So - instrument 1 can combine kompakt instance #1 and #2, instrument 2 can combine kompakt instance #3 and #4, etc.

Mixer, preamp, compression and eq are all virtual instruments used as a plug in within Logic's environment. Some come standard - others are third party.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Frederick

Neilfactory
04-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Good job>>>
Violons are beautiful.

Best,
Neil.

ChrisE
04-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Nice job on the demo :)

Just got my gold edition through this morning :D

In answer to Benwa, a good way of creating free midi channels is by mixing down tracks to wav files. Especially when you're using multiple patches for just one instrument. It depends on what system specs you have on your PC, but my 1 gig of ram does suffer with multiple instances.

BenwaRwa
04-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Thank you Frederik.

Step by step, I begin to understand how all this works together.

I use a G5 1.8Mhz, 1.5Go RAM, Digital Performer and EWQLSO-Silver.

Three questions:

1. Tell me, is it necessary to have a CPI card or is the Mac audio built-in good enough to make good audio with a Mac?

2. What is the advantage of using a CPI card?

3. So, with Digital Performer, I can find the "instance" your talking about? Maybe the word "instance" is just used for Logic? I will try to find.

Guys like you help us to become better "computer-musicians".
Benwa

BenwaRwa
04-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Thank you ChrisE.
Indeed, it is a good idea to mix down tracks that are already recorded... but we cannot work on them after.
Benwa

Frederick
04-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Thank you Frederik.

Step by step, I begin to understand how all this works together.

I use a G5 1.8Mhz, 1.5Go RAM, Digital Performer and EWQLSO-Silver.

Three questions:

1. Tell me, is it necessary to have a CPI card or is the Mac audio built-in good enough to make good audio with a Mac?

2. What is the advantage of using a CPI card?

3. So, with Digital Performer, I can find the "instance" your talking about? Maybe the word "instance" is just used for Logic? I will try to find.

Guys like you help us to become better "computer-musicians".
Benwa

Hey BenwaRwa,

Depends on your application. If you're writing music for your own enjoyment I guess the audio in Mac would work. Occasionally I route everything so I can hear sequencer output through the headphone jack. But if you're wanting to do this semi-professionally, you may want to look at some pro audio solutions. The Motu 828 firewire would be a good alternative, or possibly the Motu 2408MkIII since you're already using DP.

I haven't worked in DP for awhile. I assume you would open EWQLSO Silver as an AU plug-in (?) Best to talk to the Digital Performer talent here on this.

Best,

Frederick

Bernard
04-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Hi Frederick!

Some brass passages are very beautifull and others less (I think it's velocity problem). But the piece is overall well done. I've heard some vsl stuffs and they are well blended with the natural verb of SO. Good dynamic, contrast and creativity Frederick!

Regards,

Ben

Steve Karl
04-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Love it! Please post all you can.

Steve

lux
04-20-2005, 11:22 AM
very nice mood and orchestral texture Frederick.

Luca

Laurent JUILLET
04-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Really great atmospehre. Bravo.

Frederick
04-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Wow - thanks for the comments guys! Means a lot coming from you talented folks!

Best,

Frederick