PDA

View Full Version : Loading samples on the fly

noiseboyuk
04-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Been a few years since I posted here, not really been using Play for a long time. But I heard on the grapevine that Play 4.1.8 had seen some real improvements, and very happy to report that I concur. The background loading is super-useful, and it's all playing very nicely in VEP.

One thing is missing that really would make the background loading super-super-useful. If there was a way to purge all samples and then load-on-the-fly as you play... that would be truly spectacular. It works so well in kontakt, and means you can load vastly more patches into available RAM. I guess the most powerful patches in particular on libraries like HS would be a challenge, but no harm in asking I figured.

Thanks all.

DynamicK
05-01-2014, 03:03 AM
+1 I would also find this an added bonus to my workflow.

ewig wanderer
05-01-2014, 03:22 AM
+1

Purge option like in Kontakt would help alot on loading times and the size of my template.

psmk31452
05-01-2014, 09:47 AM
+1 I too would love to see this option available in Play.

interpolate
05-01-2014, 12:26 PM
It does it's in one of the menus. It might be good to add next to the Add and Replace buttons for convenience.

wes bender
05-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Completely agree, I've been yearning for PLAY to implement this for ages now. It's a complete game-changer in Kontakt and allows for tremendously more robust templates, especially for those who don't have huge amounts of RAM.

I really can't think of any other feature PLAY is missing that would improve efficiency and general productivity like this one (when people take advantage of it, that is. I feel like most people aren't aware of how useful it could be, especially in the current SSD era).

It does it's in one of the menus. It might be good to add next to the Add and Replace buttons for convenience.

The current purge feature only purges notes that have been played, which doesn't really do much for those that want to load a large amount of instruments in a RAM-friendly manner.

You'd essentially need to have the entire part of a given instrument written and finalized before you can purge anything, defeating most of the purpose of purging in the first place.

noiseboyuk
05-01-2014, 03:15 PM

Yes, just as Wes says, you're referring to simple purging (which has been with us since Play 0). The feature request is for loading samples on the fly, which really makes use of the purging.

interpolate
05-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Maybe it's not so straight-forward especially when it comes to multi-timbral patches that go from one dynamic to another. Like VLS 14 mp ff mod xf for example, how would you separate the crossfaded from the mezzopiano samples.

With EWQLSO you can load keyswitches with some or all of the possible patches. How about if you could set a keyrange and purge the notes you never needed. Take a viola which spans 2.5 octaves (I think that's correct) and you only needed the second octave - so you set the range and purge the other samples.

I might be talking out of my ass or I might be onto something here. In the older EWQLSO Gold, I used to do that sometimes, so I could create multiple instruments on the same MIDI channel or using OMNI.

pkm
05-01-2014, 07:23 PM
In Kontakt, it will load whichever samples are played. So in the case of VLS 14 mp ff mod xf, it would load both mp and ff for whatever note you press.

tumeninote
05-01-2014, 09:03 PM
I would love this feature as well.

Mark Wind
05-03-2014, 05:16 AM
I would LOVE this option too. How life would change for me :).

HardyP
05-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Yepp, this will improve the workflow tremendously!!

Stringtheorist
08-25-2014, 01:52 PM
With EWQLSO you can load keyswitches with some or all of the possible patches. How about if you could set a keyrange and purge the notes you never needed. Take a viola which spans 2.5 octaves (I think that's correct) and you only needed the second octave - so you set the range and purge the other samples.

Also, being able to purge keyswitch articulations that aren't required.

Mark Wind
08-26-2014, 02:04 AM
Is there any interest from the Devs to develop this feature?

admin
08-29-2014, 07:16 AM
Is there any interest from the Devs to develop this feature?

We will do some tests, it's a good idea.

janila
10-28-2014, 06:01 AM
We will do some tests, it's a good idea.

Understatement of the year. :) It's not even an idea, it's an essential feature and the lack of it has made me stop buying EW products. As a template-based user I simply don't have a way to load more as I don't see building another dedicated PLAY slave as a reasonable option especially when the later addition of this feature would make that investment pointless.

Fredy
11-05-2014, 02:29 AM
Haha I have just asked if this feature exists somehow, or if there is something you automate using scripts and the like. This feature would be SO useful!

Especially I think if you had extra features such as;

Double Tap Keyswitch - to load articulation, but not switch to it, meaning you could premeditate a load when playing live!

Double tap and hold keyswitch- to load articulation and switch to it

Single tap keyswitch - switch articulation... obviously

I have build a touch OSC interface that works with osculator which names of all SO Keyswitch articulations (all with big named buttons) for quick access. It allows for switching easily on the fly, meaning you don't have to commit all articulations to memory, and it allows for step inputing when in Piano role as well, meaning very quick articulation edits.

If this feature was added, and I could do both these things from one interface, I would probably die of happiness before I could sit down and use it :) :D ... :(

Fredy
11-14-2014, 04:09 AM
Call me impatient, but is there any news on this front? At least a preliminary "Oh that would be a good idea, we will start testing it out" from the magical code gods at East West?

pkm
11-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Call me impatient, but is there any news on this front? At least a preliminary "Oh that would be a good idea, we will start testing it out" from the magical code gods at East West?

Like post #15?

Fredy
11-15-2014, 10:09 AM
No, as in since Admin's last post...

Fredy
11-15-2014, 10:12 AM
Just re read my second to last past, It meant to say "Apart from a preliminary"

pkm
11-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Understood! ;)

thehighnotes
12-05-2014, 04:04 AM
Any updates on this from the Devs? :)

feelingfaceform
12-13-2014, 06:08 AM
Thought a lot of times about that purge button. Always close the whole project, purge in terminal and then reopen. Dont know if this is the best workflow