PDA

View Full Version : Nosferatu Piano Score (Bosendorfer)

Mills2k
05-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Well, considering everything on here seems to be for orchestra, I figured I might as well post something piano solo :D . Technically, it's not all playable because it's in a short score format and I intend eventually to orchestrate it for probably a small ensemble (I was hoping to get some of my high school classmates to play it, but I certainly don't have enough time for that at this point).

The following is the first 38 minutes of an original score I'm writing for F.W. Murnau's silent film Nosferatu. I've been writing for the past 3 weeks as part of my Senior Project, and have two weeks left. I'm really looking for some feedback, but it is particularly difficult to get any, considering there's 38 minutes of music (and video) to listen to.

DivX encoded video file with audio:
Video + Audio (http://web.mit.edu/mrmiller/www/Nosferatu.avi) (78 MB)

Pure audio:
Audio (http://web.mit.edu/mrmiller/www/Nosferatu.mp3) (52 MB)

Eventually I'll put some real time into making the audio more "realistic" and nuanced, but right now I'm spending most of my time in Finale, writing as much music as I can. This project has almost doubled my output in my 2 years of composing, and just over the past 3 weeks... I love the Bosendorfer library though... best thing since sliced bread. I can't even go back to Finale's improved soft synth stuff. Curse you! Wonderful though, absolutely wonderful. Runs on my laptop. :D

Mills2k
05-27-2005, 10:30 AM
If you even only have time to listen to 5 minutes of it, feedback would be very lovely :D . The project's due date is end of next week, so I want to get it as refined as I can going into that. You, the audience, can affect how it turns out! So, in short: harsh constructive criticism please :D . Thanks!

MakeANote
05-27-2005, 09:19 PM
I'd love, as a pianist myself, to listen to your work but don't have a hope of being able to download something that large in one piece. Can you break it into the individual movements as you specify them?

Ian

Sicmu
06-04-2005, 10:43 AM
It would have been helpful if you posted a .m3u link.
I listened to the first 5 minutes and I like your piano writing. It seems that you tried to capture the harmonic moods of these 1920 movies instead of doing something more "modern" and I can understand your choice (it was maybe a request).
To me your piece can be enjoyed as a standalone : the standards of film music have changed a lot since the twenties, so sometimes the music sounds "out of place", but in the purpose of an acadmic exercise of scoring in a particular style,that makes sense and it's very good.
The piano sounds good and clear.

ChrisBouchard
06-05-2005, 04:14 AM
Had a listen. Great stuff! It's an incredible feat to compose something this long to picture. Congratulations, I enjoyed listening, it sounds very realistic and I can really hear the changes in pace, mood & expression which go with the film on screen.

great work, goodluck with recording it with the ensemble

Mills2k
06-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks a bunch for listening, both of you :D. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Actually, the .m3u is a good idea. I'll get around to that sometime soon :D.

Sicmu: in terms of the style, there wasn't actually much intentionally dated about the music :rolleyes: . Maybe I shouldn't be saying this after the fine compliment I received, but I tend to draw my roots back to the late Romantics, along with some modern Romantic-style influences. Some of the later stuff in the film should sound a little bit more modern... some odd meters, 13/8 most noticably. I tried to boil down some of the facets of atonal 12-tone music which really grate on me and used some of that for the creepy stuff, as well as some liberal use of the octatonic melodically (not harmonically). The first piece in the title sequence was actually composed right before I started this project, and not specifically for it, but I thought it would be a good fit... and I needed to fill as much time as I could :D .

Thanks again!