PDA

View Full Version : Devil's Agent Criticism allowed under this thread !

lgrohn
04-06-2005, 10:27 PM
It's always nice to hear words like GREAT, MARVELLOUS etc. It may be good for your ego but as such it doesn't help much one's development.

May I suggest that ALSO strong negative criticism will be allowedIN THIS THREAD for those pieces which are linked to this thread and for those pieces only.

The three rules are:
RULE 1: For every justified positive comment of a PIECE one negative justified comment of a PIECE is allowed.
RULE 2: For every justified positive comment of a COMMENT one negative justified comment of a COMMENT is allowed.
RULE 3: Mere bravos and jokes not allowed...

LG

PS. I hope the moderators will allow this kind of an arragement ?

amo
04-07-2005, 02:29 AM
Yes Boss ! :D
So nice, such a great idea, wonderfull !!!! ;)

hehehe.... sorry about that, PM me, if I need to delete my post, just wanting to joke a little....

Kind regards,

Amaury

lgrohn
04-07-2005, 10:19 AM
I tried to give constructive criticism on GPO forum, but they cancelled
my writing rights. LG

I e.g. mentioned that there was something wrong with the horns of the
GPO competition winner. They of course cancelled my message without notice.
Later it came out that the composer had put some horns on a wrong register
and they had to change the score. But what was funny: The people of GPO cult
don't trust on GPO listening. Why? My guess is that the quality of the GPO
sounds is not good enough for that!

LG

Scott Rogers
04-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Igrohn, I didn't realize they had removed a comment you had made about the problematic horn line. I was tempted to say something about it myself, but couldn't figure out the most diplomatic way to put it. The line was too high and for too long, and I knew it was going to be a problem with the real orchestra, but they didn't realize it until they heard it in rehearsal. And it still came off faulty and downright awkward in the performance - they didn't really fix it. In listening to the broadcast, it sounded like what they did was to simply double it with the 3rd horn, which of course didn't help. They were out of tune like Cher on a bad hair day.

As far as making constructive criticisms, I think part of the potential problems are cultural and language differences. It's good to be as diplomatic as possible, and to try to first make a positive comment if you can do it sincerely. I think as long as it sounds like you're trying to be genuinely helpful, rather than just critical, things work out better that way.

Cheers,

Scott Rogers

josejherring
04-07-2005, 11:12 PM
I tried to give constructive criticism on GPO forum, but they cancelled
my writing rights. LG

I e.g. mentioned that there was something wrong with the horns of the
GPO competition winner. They of course cancelled my message without notice.
Later it came out that the composer had put some horns on a wrong register
and they had to change the score. But what was funny: The people of GPO cult
don't trust on GPO listening. Why? My guess is that the quality of the GPO
sounds is not good enough for that!

LG

You where right Ingrohn. I noticed it even in the live performance. The horn tutti in the piece was written way too high at one point. Sounded really weak. Would have been better played by the trumpets I think. I personally thought that the brass writing in that piece wasn't as good as it should have been to be a competition winner. But the strings a ww were pretty decent.

Cheers,

Jose

lgrohn
04-08-2005, 08:16 AM
OK.

The other thread started by me that the GPO people deleted
was about the demos. I asked why GPO had put Beethoven's
fifth on their demo site. The quality of instruments in that
demo is so low that I couldn' stand more than a few bars of it.
I also asked of the morale of changing notes on Stravinsky's
Rite of Spring. Even without that the demo was absolute awful.

The ultimate test of any symphonic library would be a string quartet
demo. GPO has not a single one, I guess. Large string, wind and
horn sections are too easy. Of course not really but when listening
carelessly.
LG

Waywyn
04-08-2005, 09:30 AM
thats what i always say. gpo seems to be pretty okay, but only as a tool on your laptop and not as a highclass sample orchestra like gary always mentions that.

josejherring
04-08-2005, 11:19 AM
GPO has trememdous pontetial but Gary always seems to be moving off and doing other things rather than perfecting GPO. He's got ground breaking ideas he just doesn't seem very focused. Nick and Doug are focused. They get their products out. Gary just releases anouncements then the products take years to get out. I don't get it.

Jose

pappagheno
04-11-2005, 09:54 AM
well.. is so easy to criticize :)

a famous actor once said (when a jounalist asked him an opinion about what critics said about his plays) :

ask to a child what he would like to do when he will grow up... none will answer you..the Critic.. ;)

some minds are good to spot the problems others to find the silverline...

maybe we could do someting less ..aggressive.. a sort of voting the music that we like more... :D

banquo
04-17-2005, 01:12 PM
GPO has trememdous pontetial... He's got ground breaking ideas

just to make that a bit more prominent...

I would like to see a VSL-size GPO, but that's not really the point of GPO. I'm afraid that it would lose its charm and renowned intimacy if got too big. [i'd still buy it though]

I'm really looking forward to The Garritan Solo Stradavari Violin, too.