PDA

View Full Version : Electronic or Dubstep synthesizer/library?

chongyunxiang
08-10-2014, 02:40 AM
It'll be really awesome to have an electronic or dubstep synthesizer/library. Maybe one that allows user to easily create their own sounds apart from using the pre-made sounds! I know 8dio has one, but its all pre-made if I'm not wrong.

And creating dubstep from scratch using a synthesizer isn't easy to people like me who aren't sound designers. :o

It's just a thought.

Thanks! :D

interpolate
08-10-2014, 04:20 AM
Dubstep, 2-Step and Trap are all the same thing to me. Trap sounds more old school in some respects. Native Instruments Komplete is a good place to look if that's the sort of thing you want to create.

Although there's no set rules.

I couldn't really see EWQL doing that as they seem to concentrate of capturing acoustic things not synthetic (with the exceptions of The Dark Side and Ghostwriter). Although I may be wrong.

I know the whole point of your post was because you're not a sound designer and this is what separates real musicians from tech heads. Synthesis takes time to learn and it's mostly experimentation. Some things like what I mentioned before act as a great starting point as you can learn how to change things to your will by experimenting.

springverb
08-16-2014, 09:49 AM
I don't create or listen to such music, but IMO having those unique synth sounds is a must when it comes to dubstep or its the same "wub wub wub". If EW creates such an instrument, it would be pretty limited in that aspect and there wont be much to create own sounds.

A drum library. Well maybe. But i dont think synths is a great idea.
Then ofcourse, this is my opinion.

DraperCompositions
08-17-2014, 12:10 PM
I think I get where you are coming from. However I would prefer them add those sounds either as a percussive element in the stormdrum 2 or 3, or part of Goliath because real dubstep, electronic music and sound design are entirely different than scoring acoustic instruments. If they gave us sample sound for dubstep and electronic music like they do for the other instruments, everything created from the software would probably be way too similar. However if EW found a way to do this well, I would totally enjoy having it!

interpolate
08-17-2014, 04:55 PM
You know that they could use waveform synthesis, sampled from high end moog.access virus, novation and the likes of clavia nord. Have an interface with oscillators, envelope followers so people could have a 64-bit synthesizer. Possibly that might require a bit more than the play engine although if they can sample real things why not synthetic.

The biggest challenge might be emulating the timbre or tone of some analogue synths.

C4L88
08-18-2014, 08:09 AM
Have an interface with oscillators, envelope followers so people could have a 64-bit synthesizer. Possibly that might require a bit more than the play engine although if they can sample real things why not synthetic.

Agreed

If done it would (or I feel should) have a lot of control over the sounds; not just a simple interface like most libraries. Perhaps similar to how Symphonic Choirs has a separate wordbuilder page, but in this case tons of synth controls

Annabelle
08-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Are you thinking of something along the lines of drum machines?

interpolate
08-18-2014, 05:23 PM
If you embed an effects section for ssl then you can dovthe same for envelope genetators. So you wiuld start with your initial sounds. Creating a new synth might be a better option.

chongyunxiang
08-21-2014, 07:46 AM
If they gave us sample sound for dubstep and electronic music like they do for the other instruments, everything created from the software would probably be way too similar. However if EW found a way to do this well, I would totally enjoy having it!

It'll be super awesome if EW provides samples of electronic sounds, then we can mix and match these sounds. Tweak it with Oscillators, Filters and ADSR, or maybe even create simple interfaces like a knob that when activated, pitch bends the sound down or up. Like those dubstep bass drops.

Maybe even glitching effects like Modulation, Gating, Reverse, Delay, Tape Stop, etc, like Illformed Glitch and Effectrix! :D

mrdsee
08-22-2014, 07:50 PM
This looks pretty cool and might fit the bill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ETpZ8CdDiw

C4L88
08-22-2014, 08:57 PM
I can say with libraries like this there is a tradeoff

More customizability (generally) means much more complex to learn

For instance, I have Komplete 9 and the synths are incredible...but can be so damn hard to learn! Especially the libraries in Reaktor
I'd be lost if they didn't have a bunch of good presets to get started with

So EW, if you take this up...if you can make it easy to learn AND customizable AND have some good presets...well then, long reign the kings! :D

chongyunxiang
08-23-2014, 01:31 AM
So EW, if you take this up...if you can make it easy to learn AND customizable AND have some good presets...well then, long reign the kings! :D

Precisely! Quite a lot of synthesizers and are customizable but too complex. It'll be really awesome if it's customizable and yet user friendly to use!

But I do understand that the more customizable it gets, the more complex it'll have to be. :o

jcrosby
12-18-2014, 04:58 AM
The two consistent "secret weapon" synths of dub step synth programming are NI Massive and Spectrasonics Omnisphere. Really any will do, but 8 out of 10 times those are the screechy stutter and wobbly synths you hear… There are a metric ton of preset libraries you can buy if programming the sounds is difficult for you… Also, Icnei would be a great orchestrally sourced alternative…