PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Percussion Vibraphone

jdmcox
10-03-2014, 07:47 AM
I like the new Hollywood Percussion (Platinum), BUT I think you made a mistake in requiring a MIDI sustain message to allow the Vibraphone to play longer than a very short note. WHY NOT allow the Vibraphone to play for the length of the musical note written for it?

C4L88
10-03-2014, 08:44 AM
The manual says to turn "on" CC64 for the long sustains

That's just the regular sustain pedal CC; do you not have one for your keyboard?

I can definitely understand the frustration if you don't, might be nice to include a 2nd patch option in that case

jdmcox
10-05-2014, 09:17 AM
I have a sustain pedal, but I'm not a pianist, so it's difficult for me to press it exactly when I play one note and release it at the end of that note and then press it again at exactly the beginning of the next note, particularly when the notes aren't separated by any rest (and I don't want the original note to continue along with the next note).

However, I altered my program PianoRollComposer to send a sustain on (MIDI CC 64) whenever I press a key on my keyboard, and then send a sustain off when I release that key, so my problem has gone away. Now the Vibraphone plays just like a piano for me.

Karuno LeKarnal
02-16-2015, 09:13 AM
The Vibraphone doesn't work like the Piano : either the pedal is up and dampers all "blades", resulting in a staccato sound whenever you hit them with mallets, or the pedal is down, letting every note sustained until pedal is up again. You cannot mute one or several notes without muting all the others, unless you damper it with the hand ; which requires skills and doesn't always work.

This vibraphone has been programmed the way a real vibraphone would play and this is what has been intended in the making of this library : a realistic responding instrument.

oleJoergensen
02-16-2015, 02:52 PM
A vibraphone player also damp with the mallets. A little before he hits a new tone he damps the other one with the mallet. It sometimes gives a sound which reminds a little of portamento. Im not sure if this technique is in Hollywood percussion.

One of our times great vibraphone player....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uok_WpjCTc

HardyP
02-16-2015, 05:13 PM
what a great performance, what a superb recording!!
I love this rumblin' thundering grand - kudos again to the sound engineers at Bayerischer Rundfunk! (and to Schoeps also, I guess…)

Karuno LeKarnal
02-18-2015, 07:11 AM
A vibraphone player also damp with the mallets. A little before he hits a new tone he damps the other one with the mallet.

Dude, that's insane. I can't imagine the dexterity required for that 0_o
Humans are awesome.