PDA

View Full Version : Support for non-East West instruments

jfuchs23
04-01-2015, 11:45 AM
The Play engine might become much more popular if it was able to load .nki, soundfont and gigasampler files on top of the regular Play instruments.

Everything under one engine is a pretty dreamy thought but I'd love to be able to load the Hans Zimmer Percussion libraries below my Stormdrum 3 instruments instead of having to load multiple instrument engines in the same project.

Making Play engine a universal instrument player might be a massive task but it sure would increase the number of users of Play.
I like the all under one roof kind of idea.

JHMusic
04-03-2015, 08:38 PM
The Kontakt format is proprietary, Giga is a dead format, and most Soundfont players are incredibly lightweight anyways. Not worth one penny of the engineering time.

HardyP
04-04-2015, 03:00 AM
Whow, this seems to be a paradigm change: normally, everyone is complaining that ew left Kontakt, and request ew libraries in Konatkt format ;-)...

Karuno LeKarnal
04-04-2015, 08:52 AM
True. Everyone seems to think Kontakt was such a powerful sampler... Even though I'm not tweaking anything and don't really see why is kontakt better than play. Except maybe for the fact that Kontakt is cracked at every release in no time, and Play still resists !

I don't think EW should get back to Kontakt. Plus, now that EW Pro is coming, there's no real reason to go back to Kontakt. Really no reason.

trumpoz
04-05-2015, 06:07 AM
The only thing that could happen with Play Pro is the possibility of the .ewi format being opened for use.

Kontakt is a propriety sampler, just like UVI, Play Pro etc. In order for Play to be able to open .nki the two companies would have to work together. Why would Native instruments work with EW to render their own sampler less useful?

Karuno LeKarnal
04-05-2015, 11:15 AM
I see no reason either and that wasn't what I stated. I just said that Kontakt is easily cracked at each release, and that is probably the reason why EWQL left Kontakt, and why people want EWQL libraries back in Kontakt.

JHMusic
04-05-2015, 04:19 PM
PLAY, at least in its infancy, was less efficient than Kontakt at playback. If you have access to both PLAY and Kontakt SO, you can test this pretty easily yourself.

Jeff Hayat
04-05-2015, 04:31 PM
...and don't really see why is kontakt better than play.

Versatility and features. PLAY is comparable to the Kontakt player. It isn't comparable to the full blown vers. of Kontakt, as it doesn't have even a small percentage of the capability that Kontakt does.

Cheers.

Karuno LeKarnal
04-06-2015, 04:25 PM
it doesn't have even a small percentage of the capability that Kontakt does

I have no kontakt libraries, only tried some via a friend who use Cinesamples and ProjectSAM ; I only used playback from sequencer.

What are the features in Kontakt that Play doesn't allow (except for sample editing, I believe it's a feature)

pkm
04-06-2015, 10:46 PM
Effects, scripting, sample editing, creating your own libraries and editing your current ones however you want to, etc etc etc.

sururick
05-13-2015, 03:35 AM
I'm a new to play myself. I bought EWQLSO - Silver many years back when it used it's own customized Kontakt player. The only thing I'll give kontakt a plus on is the loading times. Kontakt does load instruments faster. However... Kontakt crashes and freezes on me quite often. Also, some instrument libraries end up getting stuck notes when stopping playback which is such a pain. I am not a fan of the UI of kontakt as well (that's a personal preference).

So far over the last couple of weeks using Play since I subscribed to the composer cloud I have to say overall I like it better than Kontakt. Sure, the loading times can be improved. There is also a glitch when it comes to setting reverbs but all in all I like it. It's a simple and innovative interface, and I haven't had it freeze or crash on me!

True. Everyone seems to think Kontakt was such a powerful sampler... Even though I'm not tweaking anything and don't really see why is kontakt better than play. Except maybe for the fact that Kontakt is cracked at every release in no time, and Play still resists !

I don't think EW should get back to Kontakt. Plus, now that EW Pro is coming, there's no real reason to go back to Kontakt. Really no reason.