PDA

View Full Version : Improved flexibility/playability across EW Libraries (examples provided)

Arnaud.G.Music
04-21-2015, 06:35 AM
East West libraries are fantastic in the way that everything is sampled very deeply.
However, when it comes to playing things live, you're stuck with what comes out of the box. And I do believe that our worflow could be drastically improved by adding missing links in between all of the available patches.

(I'm using Hollywood Strings as an example):

1) Dynamic Keyswitches and CC assignment

- Allows the user to hold down the sustain pedal (cc64) to switch to a user-defined short articulation (i.e spiccato). When the sustain pedal is released, it switches back to a legato or sustain patch (user-defined through the Play interface)
- Allows the user to temporarily switch to a different articulation while a keyswitch is pressed down, once it is released, it goes back to the initial articulation. (this is similar to the sustain pedal, but this time with keyswitches)

2) Combining these methods to create extremely playable patches

2a) Example of a user made master patch for Hollywood Strings 1st Violins

- Condition A: Sustain Pedal untouched

- Keyswitches: C0: Legato
D0: Sustain
E0: Tremolo
F0: Trills H/S
G0: Trills W/S

- Dynamics: CC1
- Expression: CC11
- Articulation Crossfade: CCx (crossfading between Legato/Sustain and Tremolo)
- Velocity: Controls Bow attack intensity (strong attack with high velocities [user defined])

- Condition B: Sustain Pedal Held down

- Keyswitches: C0: Short tight bows (Staccatissimo, Staccato, Spiccato, Marcatto)
D0: Short tight Plucked (Pizzicato, Col Legno, Bartok Pizz)

- CC1: Switches between each articulation inside of the selected keyswitch articulation set

- Velocity: Controls Dynamics

3) Play Interface Visual Feedback

- Displays clearly which articulation is currently being played

4) The key being that everything should be customizable by the user

- Velocity range (i.e: from 1 to 50 I want spiccatos - From 51 to 127 I want marcatos) This is extremely important since all midi controllers have a difference velocity response.
- Adding or removing any articulation
- User defined CC

5) Final words

I believe this is what Play Pro will be about, and that's why I wanted to share my thoughts on how the current EW libraries could be improved.

Most but not all of what I described above is already possible with the free software transmidifier which gives you an absurd amount of flexibility, and it is a true game changer. However it does add a bit of latency and everything could be implemented natively in a much smoother way.

I have high hopes for Play Pro and I hope East West will take its chance to fly way above the competition.

Please feel free to add-on to the discussion if you have some features you'd like to see.

Have a great day !

Arnaud

mriley
07-06-2015, 12:18 PM
ABSOLUTELY!!! I agree with everything here. I'm a huge fan of the Spitfire Sable playable legato patches. They switch between 4 types of legato depending on how fast you play. SO useful and easy to use. I would love to see that type of thing in the Hollywood series.

Przemek
07-13-2015, 12:58 PM
Yes, definitely on my wishlist too.