PDA

View Full Version : Velocity layering for live purposes

lidserter
08-15-2015, 07:13 AM
Hi, i'm a new owner of Hollywood Orchestra Diamond and i really love it. I mostly use my vst instruments live, and currently i'm using a Korg workstation to manage keyboard zones and velocity zones where I want my instruments to be played. For example I usually set cymbals to sound on the lowest octave keys and only when playing with velocity greater than 120, also I set timpani drums on the same octave but with velocity between 110-127. Another combination I use is a sustain and legato patch on lower velocities and stacatto's slurs and marcatto on high velocities.
At first I thought that min vel and max vel on the advanced instruments properties would cover this, but it don't. Also I would suggest to extend the transpose range, -60 to +60, in order to cover the full keyboard: I may want to sound a tiny upper violin doubled with the lowest bass using the same key...

Thank you!
JJ

miekwave
12-12-2015, 09:02 AM
I agree with your suggestions. If you're using Ableton live, you can insert an "Instrument Rack" - drop multiple instances of EWQL in there and then manually assign KB Range + KB X-Fade, Velocity Range + Velocity X-Fade and level output per articulation. At the end of the instrument rack, put a compressor to smooth things out.