PDA

View Full Version : Simple Menuett - Silver

CeXzer
05-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Hi,

I wrote this simple menuett still as an exercise, and I orchestrated it for strings.
Here is the result: Strings (http://web.axelero.hu/ceze/phrase1.mp3)
I'm quite alright with this version. However I tried to orchestrate for a full Orchestra, and came up with this: Full Orchestra (http://web.axelero.hu/ceze/phrasefull.mp3)

Now, I'm not happy with this one at all, and in the process of reorchestrating it, however I'd be happy to hear any advice. Please, listen to the orchestra version first, because maybe it's not that bad, maybe I'm just expecting it to sound like the strings version :)

Thank you

Evan
05-29-2005, 03:47 AM
perhaps more brass would help and some woodwind countermelodies?

I really like the grace notes that add an almost pitch bend effect...cool :cool:

metrobot
05-29-2005, 09:13 AM
i like the full orchestrated version. Evan's right that if you added a brass line near the end, it might give this a bit more of a story arc. But if you want it to remain a subtler piece, it's good as is. The performance is a bit over quantized. I still can't decide if I like the silver string sounds in general.

nice theme, and well developed.

SergeD
05-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Cexzer,

It's far from hollywood sound and I really appreciate it. You show the versatility of Silver. Your strings have rich sounding. Perhaps should you try applying a lot of CC#11 to sculpt attacks and decreases. It's only an amateur suggestion. Are you using reverb ?

SergeD

CeXzer
05-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanx to all of you,

after studying some Wagner scores I created a new orchestration (not implying in any way that this is anywhere near Wagner's masterfull orchestrations, just got my inspiration from his works).
here (http://web.axelero.hu/ceze/phrasefullb.mp3)

As for the CC11, I'm not good at that, I tried, but I'm afraid my feeble attempts would only make it worse.
For the reverb: The previous version uses the built in reverb of kompakt. This one uses SIR with some free impulse response file found on the net. I feel it makes the different instruments a bit too blended, but I can't work on it tonight anymore, so I just post it, and maybe if you like this version better I'll go back later :)

{About the Silver strings sound:
I don't particulary like them neither, but it has to do a lot with the violas, since for violins I use the included gold patch, and I really like celli and basses. However Silver for some reason includes the expressive viola patch, which is extremely hard to blend. I really don't understand these choices. Not to complain, but IMHO if one wants to create a stripped version of a full product, which needs to be still usefull, it would be a good idea to use the most neutral instruments, and maybe include some others alongside them to show what else you can do with the higher version. Vibrato is fine, since in most cases strings play vibrato, you even need to write Non Vib. on the score, so that is default, but to give an important instrument, like the viola, which is impossible to leave out of a full orchestration, expressive play style, while all the other strings play normaly is really something I don't understand.
DOn't missunderstand me, I love Silver, and I would buy it any time again, and I can only recommend it, I'm just saying it could be better :) (Well actually I'm dying to get gold, but no money :( ) }

Thanx again