PDA

View Full Version : Multiple mics in VE Pro

anthonym
11-25-2015, 01:14 AM
Hi

I was considering to get VE PRO 5 and using it with HS/HB diamond edition. I usually use multiple mic positions in my projects. I read an old post stating that switching/ or turning on additional mic positions in VE Pro is not possible... PLAY will hang?

Does this issue still exist? I have the latest version of PLAY.

And in case I want to re-lunch a project and continue working the next day...Do I have each time to turn on the additional mics? Does VE Pro memorize which mics were turned on in a project? Because each project is different...sometimes I write intimate chamber music with only close mics... and sometimes philharmonic stuff using multiple mics...

Off-topic issue:
Every time I hit save in a large orchestral template containing HS/HB diamond libraries...It takes 30 sec for Cubase 8 to respond. And when I close my projects...It takes over 40 sec to close...
Does VE Pro solve this problem?

I would be very appreciative for your feedbacks...

Regards,
Anthony

trumpoz
11-25-2015, 02:36 AM
Every time I hit save in a large orchestral template containing HS/HB diamond libraries...It takes 30 sec for Cubase 8 to respond. And when I close my projects...It takes over 40 sec to close...
Does VE Pro solve this problem?

Yes - so long as you use VE Pro in decouple mode (you will understand this if/when you get it). Hosting samples outside of Cubase means that the settings are not saved within the Cubase file = much quicker saving etc.

I don't have diamond so I can't comment on multiple mics.

pkm
11-25-2015, 05:17 AM
You have conflicting issues. If you want VEP to remember your mic settings, your loading times will be long, and if you want your loading times short, VEP won't remember your mic settings.

anthonym
11-25-2015, 01:44 PM
Yes - so long as you use VE Pro in decouple mode (you will understand this if/when you get it). Hosting samples outside of Cubase means that the settings are not saved within the Cubase file = much quicker saving etc.

I don't have diamond so I can't comment on multiple mics.

Thank you

anthonym
11-25-2015, 01:47 PM
You have conflicting issues. If you want VEP to remember your mic settings, your loading times will be long, and if you want your loading times short, VEP won't remember your mic settings.

So VE Pro can remember multiple mic positions in PLAY? the problem is solved?

And do you mean the loading times when you first lunch VE Pro at the beginning of each day? or the loading times of the "saves" and "closes" ?

And how much extra time? few minutes?

pkm
11-25-2015, 02:06 PM
If you want the samples to stay loaded between sessions, it will not remember your settings, and vice versa. So it's either loading them once and not saving the mic positions or loading them each time you open a session and remembering the settings.

You don't need VE Pro to recall mic settings by the way.

anthonym
11-25-2015, 11:46 PM
If you want the samples to stay loaded between sessions, it will not remember your settings, and vice versa. So it's either loading them once and not saving the mic positions or loading them each time you open a session and remembering the settings.

You don't need VE Pro to recall mic settings by the way.

Thank you

jtay
11-26-2015, 05:57 AM
pkm, your answers had me confused until I reread them a couple of times. If I understand you correctly, you mean that if the OP currently has an orchestra project open in VEPro and Cubase and wants to switch to a chamber ensemble project, he will either have to unload the contents of VEPro and reload them before working on the chamber ensemble project. Or, he will have to modify the contents of VEPro manually if he wishes to change projects and circumvent the long load time, and instead take on the risk of remembering all of the settings that need changing (personally, I wouldn't recommend this).

That is true, but the situation isn't unique to mic positions in Play. The same could be said if the chamber ensemble piece used a different company's libraries than the orchestra piece; when switching, the OP would have to unload/reload or else manually remove the old instruments and add the new ones.

And in case I want to re-lunch a project and continue working the next day...Do I have each time to turn on the additional mics?

My answer is no. VEPro remembers your mic settings. I assume that "re-launch a project and continue working the next day" implies that you closed VEPro or shut the machine off between days and didn't leave VEPro running overnight with the same instruments loaded before continuing working the next day. On a fresh project launch, i.e. with no prior projects open before launching, all saved settings are recalled. When launching a project over the top of a currently loaded prior project, the prior project's settings remain.

pkm
11-26-2015, 01:46 PM
Read up on running VE Pro coupled vs. decoupled and it will explain everything.

jtay
11-26-2015, 04:49 PM
But I have... If you run VEPro coupled, then when you save your DAW project, the information in VEPro is saved with your project. When you reopen the project later, it is all recalled, mics and all. If you run VEPro decoupled, then only the linking information—preserved name, IP address, etc.—is saved with the DAW, and no information about the VEPro instruments is saved. You have to save the VEPro metaframe separately.

Help me get on the same page as you, because I don't see how this explains everything...

pkm
11-26-2015, 05:38 PM
Sorry, jtay, I've been unclear. I think we are on the same page, but is there something I said that you disagree with?

So the two issues are 1. Loading times, and 2. Preserving settings.

Issue 1 is solved by running decoupled. Your session will stay loaded in VE Pro even when you close projects. However, the settings per project are not recalled. Each session will use the same VE Pro template with the same settings.

Issue 2 is solved by running coupled. All of your settings are saved with your sequencer and will be recalled. However, your samples cannot remain loaded between sessions, thereby not helping with the loading times.

You're right that it's not unique to PLAY and mic positions. It applies to any settings on any plugin hosted in VE Pro.

jtay
11-27-2015, 03:08 AM
Okay good, now I know we are on the same page. This is what I disagreed with:
If you want VEP to remember your mic settings, your loading times will be long, and if you want your loading times short, VEP won't remember your mic settings.

I took "won't remember your mic settings" to imply that VEPro would forget only modifications to the mic settings after opening. As if I could open a Cubase project with VEPro coupled and main mics loaded in Play, decouple it, add the mid and close mics, and save it; and then when I open it again, it would load only the main mics, as if VEPro lacked some functionality to remember the additional mic information but could remember everything else. But by my understanding, it would forget everything: mics, instruments, VEPro routing and mixer settings, etc.

I was afraid you knew of some feature or limitation of VEPro I didn't understand, since you seem like a guy who really knows his VEPro.

anthonym
11-27-2015, 03:11 AM
pkm, your answers had me confused until I reread them a couple of times. If I understand you correctly, you mean that if the OP currently has an orchestra project open in VEPro and Cubase and wants to switch to a chamber ensemble project, he will either have to unload the contents of VEPro and reload them before working on the chamber ensemble project. Or, he will have to modify the contents of VEPro manually if he wishes to change projects and circumvent the long load time, and instead take on the risk of remembering all of the settings that need changing (personally, I wouldn't recommend this).

That is true, but the situation isn't unique to mic positions in Play. The same could be said if the chamber ensemble piece used a different company's libraries than the orchestra piece; when switching, the OP would have to unload/reload or else manually remove the old instruments and add the new ones.

My answer is no. VEPro remembers your mic settings. I assume that "re-launch a project and continue working the next day" implies that you closed VEPro or shut the machine off between days and didn't leave VEPro running overnight with the same instruments loaded before continuing working the next day. On a fresh project launch, i.e. with no prior projects open before launching, all saved settings are recalled. When launching a project over the top of a currently loaded prior project, the prior project's settings remain.

Thank you jtay for the detailed explanation :)

anthonym
11-27-2015, 03:22 AM
So we conclude that VE Pro is mainly for libraries that were recorded with single mic position? Like VSL, LASS,... ?

I always use in my projects multiple/different mic positions whether using HS diamond or Kontakt libraries like Albion and Berlin woodwinds... So switching project will be the same as not having VE Pro...or maybe worth?

So the conclusion would be: buying VE Pro will only support my CPU performance and allow me to save faster in cubase...right?

And another question ... Does VE Pro allow me to create instruments tracks in Cubase? so I can EQ, add dynamic effects, send to buses...from within cubase? or I have to edit everything in VE Pro? (and create only MIDI tracks in cubase)?

jtay
11-27-2015, 04:22 AM
So we conclude that VE Pro is mainly for libraries that were recorded with single mic position? Like VSL, LASS,... ?
No, VEPro works with all libraries. It will save your mic positions and all other settings. If you decouple VEPro—which will decrease save times—remember to save and load the VEPro metaframe separately, because it will not be saved or loaded with Cubase.

And another question ... Does VE Pro allow me to create instruments tracks in Cubase? so I can EQ, add dynamic effects, send to buses...from within cubase? or I have to edit everything in VE Pro? (and create only MIDI tracks in cubase)?
You route MIDI tracks from Cubase to VEPro, and you route audio from VEPro to instrument outputs in Cubase. EQ and effects can be added in VEPro, Cubase, or both. You can use VEPro on an instrument track if you wish. There is a minor limitation that you can only have one such instrument track per VEPro vframe. If your vframes have multiple instruments—which they probably will—they will require separate MIDI tracks. Be sure to check out the "Event Inputs" in the VEPro manual if you are using multiple instruments per vframe.

anthonym
11-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Thank you jtay, that was very helpful