PDA

View Full Version : What will Play Pro be like?

yiminpang
11-28-2015, 12:15 AM
I wonder what will be improved in Play Pro engine. Will it support multiple articulation switch using cc value?

-Lawson-
11-28-2015, 09:03 AM
I don't know about multiple articulation switch, but it includes a built-in time machine! It's still buggy, though. For some reason whenever I want to play a note, I don't hear it until 10 years later. :D

wcreed51
11-28-2015, 09:44 AM
As I understand it, Play Pro is essentially what EW uses for programming their libraries, and just needs to be spiffed up a little for commercial release. Whether other things are being added, only they know.

action9000
11-28-2015, 09:01 PM
If anything, I'd only want Play Pro to fix some of the wrong-note errors that I've stumbled across using the Hollywood series (most notably Brass Diamond) since it seems that even years after reporting said bugs they still aren't fixed.

:p

Arnaud.G.Music
11-28-2015, 09:54 PM
Hopefully it'll allow us to customize any East West Library to fit our workflow and give us much more flexibility than what's currently available.

What I'm hoping to see are:
- CC remapping
- Custom Keyswitches
- Samples editing
- Round robin options (randomized, played in order, bypass 1 or more samples from a round robin pool, etc) + state recall
- Custom velocity tresholds to trigger any patch we want, or modify the ones currently available.
- Ability to access, modify, bypass, add some scripts. I'm thinking about the legato patches of Hollywood Strings.
- Create "master patches" with pretty much all the options mentioned above combined all together.

I hope everything went well for EW, and hopefully they'll be able to release Play Pro as planned in 2015. It is definitely the thing I'm the most excited about, considering how powerful it could be with the Hollywood Orchestra, and any library really.

pkm
11-28-2015, 11:46 PM
I imagine PLAY:PLAY Pro = Kontakt Player:Kontakt

yiminpang
11-29-2015, 12:21 AM
On this page http://www.soundsonline.com/Hollywood-Strings, that said hollywood string could response to custom python script, but I can not find any information in the user manual about it? Has anyone scripted any patch?

trumpoz
11-29-2015, 12:24 AM
On this page http://www.soundsonline.com/Hollywood-Strings, that said hollywood string could response to custom python script, but I can not find any information in the user manual about it? Has anyone scripted any patch?

that would require Play Pro to edit

trumpoz
11-29-2015, 12:32 AM
I imagine PLAY:PLAY Pro = Kontakt Player:Kontakt

+1

Raden Agung
11-30-2015, 04:48 PM
PLAY Pro? Really????

DonaldM
12-01-2015, 07:58 AM
I'd like to see at least 16 audio outputs instead of just 9. 32 would be even better! :p

Kabirdi
12-01-2015, 02:53 PM
I'd like to see at least 16 audio outputs instead of just 9. 32 would be even better! :p

Agree with you on that one! 16 midi channels = 16 stereo outs, it makes the most sense and doesn't waste midi channels then :).

sururick
12-03-2015, 02:50 AM
I am hoping Play Pro will be able to load samples as fast as Kontakt and also have that bug fixed with the Stereo Double. I love the guitars with Ministry of Rock and I love the EW specific stereo double, but unfortunately it makes artifacts in the sound when turned on. :( However, more importantly I think the load times should be similar to Kontakt, that would be a huge perk. On the other hand, I find myself using more of EWQLSO Gold these days anyways, and it doesn't take too long to load. However, I want to upgrade to the Platinum eventually and I know that will take a while to load! :) I like the Hollywood libraries but EWQLSO is more to my liking for the simplicity and the sound just seems to please my ears a little better even without the true legato.

jspencer
12-03-2015, 08:29 AM
We will all know when it's released in 2036.

Jedinhopy
12-03-2015, 10:25 AM
And i am wishing that Play Pro will make it possible to have note velocity only linked to change the volume and not switch between velocity samples.

I think that is impossible to do in Play4.

DonaldM
12-04-2015, 06:21 AM
We will all know when it's released in 2036.

That's a little pessimistic. Certainly by 2020! :p

jamcbride
05-18-2016, 06:44 PM
that would require Play Pro to edit

Waiting for Godot
Just in case the irony slips by unnoticed, I'm aiming to write about the eager anticipation of some folks on this forum for 'Play Pro': the scriptable, python driven Play engine promised "oh so long ago" by EastWestSounds. Plainly, I'm comparing our wait for Play Pro with one theme in the play by Samuel Beckett,*Waiting for Godot. Godot never arrives actually, however, the play explores a whole stack of personal relationships which are after all at the heart of the play.

Off topic??? Not so fast please...
Target: failure to deliver Play Pro as promised. My point in writing this has two aspects and both are relevant to anybody who really wants to script EastWest products like Hollywood Strings. Judging from posts in these forums, Play Pro was promised seven years ago, withdrawn from comment for a time and then re-promised very recently under articulations of the Hollywood orchestra components. Plainly, despite the promise in black and white on the product pages (sic), there is no way to script any of the libraries with Python. No way. Not without the 'foretold', fore-promised' Play Pro engine.

And so, I wonder whether or not Godot will ever arrive? Who cares actually, it's all about the journey isn't it? The polite winks and nods we exchange on the forums as we wait? And actually, I want to commend the uber politeness of the very knowledgeable folks on the Kontakt threads. The information passing past my eyes by men who have actually had books published on the topics of scripting Kontakt for instance is impressive. And so, I'll meet Godot on the Kontakt forums where scripting is for real.

Bye bye, lovely to meet some of you here, meet you over there maybe? And one final word to the moderator: this is a significant issue for various people, please don't delete the post just because you can.
James (purchased Hollywood Strings (Diamond 1/May 2016)

admin
05-19-2016, 05:16 AM
While we are not providing details because we have competitors, we can tell you we have been using an in house version of PLAY PRO for 10 years now to develop the collections, how do you think we did it otherwise? So it's not fiction. However, in house software and commercially available software are two different things, the latter requiring massive support, so a few years ago the company decided to release features periodically in PLAY updates. PLAY 4 introduced a lot of updates and new features, a mixer page, effects panels etc. Each component added had to meet our standards, we are not interested in adding sub-standard components. We are confident our sound shaping tools, SSL, reverbs, etc. etc. are higher quality than our competitors. PLAY is primarily play-back software for our instruments, it was never intended to be a Kontakt competitor, which btw, costs nearly $300, we are primarily focused on creating great virtual instruments.

wcreed51
05-19-2016, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the update...

thehighnotes
05-19-2016, 06:00 AM
That update made me giddy as all hell! :D

Jonathan120
05-19-2016, 08:31 AM
Waiting for Godot.

A George R.R. Martin "the dragons are coming" might have been a more contemporary reference.

Plainly, I'm comparing our wait for Play Pro.

You've only just came across the thread and bought the library this month. Spare us the righteous, feelings-hurt crusade, please.

Who cares actually, it's all about the journey isn't it? The polite winks and nods we exchange on the forums as we wait?

I think you mean "I", not we, unless you've been elected to speak on the behalf of the rest of us. Speaking for myself, I'm not waiting for some scripting thing (first I've heard of it is your revival of this thread actually). I personally care about improvements in the engine to have a faster and better workflow for composing/mockups, which although there are still bugs, are being worked on all the time.

If you're upset about your purchase and the lack of available Kontakt-style scripting - I actually have no idea what this play pro and promise stuff is all about - then perhaps it would have made sense to actually inquire about that stuff before buying? You could also apply for jobs as a programmer/scripter if that's what you're into.

Take care, and good luck with the programming/scripting!

jspencer
05-19-2016, 11:58 AM
Take care, and good luck with the programming/scripting!

LOL! For a guy who desperately wants "Play Pro", he didn't do his homework before buying Hollywood Strings.

jamcbride
05-19-2016, 08:17 PM
Product Puff, 1 May 2016
FYI: this text appeared on the U.S. web site proper, (1 May 2016) i.e., not the forums:
[Under Articulations tab]
"Sordino effect available for all patches
Release trails for everything
Custom Python scripting"

leading from that was a trail to checkout which I followed.

So, homework needed? None where you trust the product specs.
Refund in order? Definitely. Did I email for a refund? Yes, several different ways including registering a ticket. Have I got anything back about a refund? No way.

Jonathan120
05-20-2016, 03:53 AM
Regardless of whether or not it is your fault for misreading it, or EastWest's for having ambiguous text; do you think making snide high-school level literature remarks is somehow a tactful approach to get a refund? ^_^

As for product specs, when I read it I took it to mean it as something along the lines of listing the hall it was recorded in, or the microphones used and so on. I'm not sure how many others took it to mean access to the scripting.

admin
05-20-2016, 06:48 AM
Product Puff, 1 May 2016
FYI: this text appeared on the U.S. web site proper, (1 May 2016) i.e., not the forums:
[Under Articulations tab]
"Sordino effect available for all patches
Release trails for everything
Custom Python scripting"

It does not say "user custom python scripting", it does have "custom python scripting", the description is correct. Keep in mind, this is one of the most awarded orchestral collections in the industry, used on a daily basis by top composers, so even though it may not have the custom programming you wish for, you have a very powerful composing tool.