PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here: EW with Cubase

JC_Composer
11-30-2015, 11:35 AM
Hi!

Browsing over the forums here led me to choosing Cubase for use with EastWest Orchestra. Previously, I wrote some compositions for a start-up company using MixCraft 6 and its built-in synth libraries.

So of course I'm finding that this is a different (and more complex) beast. First of all, seeing the features of different versions of Cubase, I would like to know how I will be limited by using the Elements (most basic) version.

The Elements version that I have does not have too many options with notation (no slurs, other articulation, dynamics). Does this have an effect on the kinds of sounds that I'll be able to produce?

Using a library like, say, EastWest Strings, I'll need to switch between libraries often and use midi control codes additionally. I guess this is done by duplicating a line of a strings section and deleting everything but the sections you need to be heard with that particular library, since the PLAY interface doesn't look like something that can modify anything mid-track.

Again . . . I'm trying to find the front-end as best I can for learning how best to use these libraries. Thanks!

christerholm
12-02-2015, 02:30 AM
The biggest limitation would be the 16 VST instance limit, so you won't be able to insert more than 16 instances of Play (or anything else)

Full Cubase has 64 instances

LMW
12-02-2015, 06:06 AM
Notation will be a problem for you. Elements isnīt very sophisticated.

And itīs 64 MIDI and 48 Audio tracks. Depending on your template, your workflow,
this wonīt be enough. IMO, this is the biggest drawback. The other options that
Artist and Pro offer are neat to have, but nothing is - to me - as important as
being able to load as many MIDI and audio tracks as I want.
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/line_up.html

You can download TransMIDIfier and create custom KS-patches.
http://www.bewaryprods.com/software/products/TransMIDIfier/

Check the Tips and Tricks link in my signature. Quite a lot of people have
found that very helpful. And the manuals, of course. ;)
http://www.soundsonline.com/Support?section=manuals&article=

lejmer
12-02-2015, 06:26 AM
With Cubase elements you don't get the two most important features. The first is as others have stated the limitations for VST instruments, MIDI, and audio tracks. The second is that you don't get VST expressions, a feature which is a huge time saver. With the Pro version of Cubase you can use VST expressions to basically do your own key switches without using actual (they also work in the score mode).

With Cubase elements it's best to do what LMW said and download TransMIDIfier to create custom keyswitch-patches, and then come up with a smart way to divide your instruments among the 16 Play instances that you can load.

JC_Composer
12-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks all for your helpful replies. It has helped us decide to upgrade to 8.5 pro. I'm looking forward to working with it.

LMW
12-02-2015, 03:26 PM
You wonīt regret it. ;)

jspencer
12-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Thanks all for your helpful replies. It has helped us decide to upgrade to 8.5 pro. I'm looking forward to working with it.

Good choice, it is incredible.

LMW
12-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Are you planing on upgrading to 8.5, Jeremy?

jspencer
12-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Updating to 8.5 tonight! I'm sure there will be a few bugs, but the updates look cool.

LMW
12-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Hmm, ok. From which version?
Iīm still unsure if itīs worth the €49.

jspencer
12-04-2015, 02:24 PM
From version 8, but I am holding off....tired of paying Steinberg for all of these updates! I am heavily into Logic X now, and have no issues with Cubase 8, so I'm happy.