PDA

View Full Version : Question about QL Spaces

jonesmusic80
12-07-2015, 07:37 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing QL Spaces but I have a few basic questions so I know what to expect ...

Should I use Spaces *in addition to* the reverb in PLAY, or should I totally turn off the reverb settings in PLAY and only use Spaces?

How do you use Spaces with an orchestral mix? Do you apply reverb settings to each instrument section *separately* (one instance of Spaces for the woodwind section, one instance for the brass, one instance for the percussion, and one instance for the string section?) ..... OR do you use one instance of Spaces for the entire orchestra/ensemble rather than individual instrument sections?

Thanks!

christerholm
12-08-2015, 03:52 AM
I always disable the Play reverb with Spaces.

Spaces is amazing in the way that you can get stellar results simply by placing it on the master output. But of course, you can set one per section to get exactly the nuance you want.

C4L88
12-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Spaces is an amazing, high quality reverb well worth the price

As for using the reverb within Play, I only use it in particular situations. If I load up an instrument, say a Duduk from RA, and only THAT instrument is going to have a type of reverb (say a long, heavy church reverb) then I may apply it in Play.

As for how to apply it in an orchestral mix, it's a matter of preference and experimentation. Don't feel bound to feeling "this is the way it is done"

Many people like to set up many separate busses, one for each section (or even instruments) and send each instrument to their own personal reverb busses

I on the other hand, generally use one or 2 reverb busses and send every instrument to the same bus and just apply different amounts to each one. If I have a track that is not from Play (maybe some live vocals or guitar) and that is the only instrument using that reverb I will just put an instance of Spaces right on the track; no bus.
I then add a small master reverb on the master bus; maybe a short plate or small studio reverb at a pretty low level to add "glue"

jryser
12-08-2015, 03:02 PM
I use spaces for an aux buss. That way anything I assign to it will have that texture. Sometimes I may just use the effects in the instrument itself. Play around (sorry) with all kinds of ways and go with what sounds best to you. I've always been an ambience with a less is more feel. Spaces will allow u to do this perfectly.

Sent from my PT beating heart