PDA

View Full Version : HO Template - Legato

jamieboo
01-03-2016, 04:25 AM
Hello there - Happy New Year all!

Still so much fine tuning I'm having to do with my HO Diamond template!

I go for a separate track for each articulation approach in Cubase 8.
The main articulations I have for each instrument are Sustain, Legato and Short, (then a few more particular arts like trills, runs, etc).
For the Legatos I tend to go for the Leg Slur Accent articulations as they give a lot of possibility. But I'm finding that my phrases tend to include repeating notes which can causes glitches with the Legato articulations as they're not really designed for that.

So I'm wondering about the Leg Slur Repeat articulations. That they allow for repeated notes is their advantage, but what is their disadvantage compared to regular Leg Slurs? Are they pretty much exactly the same as Leg Slurs but with the additional advantage of Repeats? If so they'll become my go to Legato articulation.
The only slight downside is that I'd be using them instead of Leg Slur ACCENT articulations - so I'd be losing the accent. But since I have Short articulations on the track below does that really matter? I could blend in some short notes to create those accents if need be, right?

Of course I'm trying a lot this stuff anyway, but there's so much to get my head around it would be great if more savvy users could answer these questions and let me know if what I'm trying makes sense! :)

Thanks!

jamieboo
01-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
Thanks! :)

pmjbaumann
01-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
Thanks! :)

I'd also be interested in this. Sorry, haven't got an answer for you!

aptmusic9
01-11-2016, 12:24 AM
Ya I think they are the same, so I've always used the repeat legatos. I did test the Accent legatos, and they are the same with an accent added. I usually find things are more realistic when I avoid layering like that, so I stick to the regular and repeat legato patches.

pmjbaumann
01-11-2016, 03:13 AM
Ya I think they are the same, so I've always used the repeat legatos. I did test the Accent legatos, and they are the same with an accent added. I usually find things are more realistic when I avoid layering like that, so I stick to the regular and repeat legato patches.

Do you mean the accent ones are the same as the repeat legatos but with an accent, or that they are the same as the normal legato but with an accent? Why would one want to use the regular legato patches if there's the repeat ones? Is there a bad aspect of the rep patches that means the normal ones are better in certain situations?

arkogelul
01-11-2016, 04:15 AM
I'm not sure it can help, but I've found that binding 2 repeated notes together with the sustain controller (CC64) helps a bit.
I've never found a proper way to make repeated note properly with HS though (so far...).