PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Bowing

spyder
01-04-2016, 10:22 AM
I am using the Contrabass in SO Gold and need to bow over 2 bars (8 beats at 106bpm). Unfortunately the bowing lasts for around 6 beats but then it stops and starts again, (presumably replaying the sample), leaving a very noticeable interruption. I have tried all of the articulations but none can bow smoothly beyond the 6 beat limitation.

Obviously what I want is to mimic the player drawing the bow back over the strings to get a smooth continuous note, but I am not sure if I can do this with SO Gold. Is there a way to achieve what I need?

I have Portmanto, Repetition, Legato and Round Robin all set to on as per the default. Also AHDSE are on default settings. If it's relevant, I am using it in Cubase 8.

josephhaspel
01-05-2016, 08:53 PM
You could try overlapping notes - i use the piano roll in logic. I extend the note for as long as i want it to sound and a little before the sample will cut out i superimpose another note over the note already put down. You can add a 3rd note to extend the sound longer. I usually set the secondary notes a little softer than the primary note and weaken the attack using midi expression to optimize the blend. It can sound quite good, especially if the long note is embedded in the texture and not part of a solo.

Hope this helps

spyder
01-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Thanks, that's an interesting suggestion. However, overlapping the notes is not very real - if you see what I mean! Does Gold not have a "return bowing" sample, or maybe that is on platinum?

I certainly would have thought it was a very common problem that has been met many times by others. Unfortunately the long note is on the solo, so it is difficult to hide.

pkm
01-06-2016, 11:06 AM
A bass bow is pretty short and a solo bass cannot sustain a note for very long. I don't believe there are any looped samples in EWQLSO.

spyder
01-06-2016, 06:14 PM
OK, thanks for the clarification.