PDA

View Full Version : Temple In The Sand

Brian Wardell
05-30-2005, 06:47 AM
Well, I figure I need to start throwing my stuff out there for more people to listen to, and I've been meaning to contribute here for a while so here goes. It's at a couple of places so choose your preference I guess.

http://www.funender.com/music/bands/5527/music.php

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/brianwardell_music.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~emeraldedge1/WardellMusic.htm

It's the only song on there now, so give it a listen and let me know what you think.

edit: just updated it with a newer version, tempo changes and fixed a few instruments. Always a work in progress I guess.

Brian Wardell
06-01-2005, 03:59 AM
No thoughts on this one? I'd appreciate any feedback anyone would like to give, even if it's negative. :D The feedback I get from people around here is mixed, they either love it or hate it, not much middle ground. I'm just gettin' into composing, mostly for fun. This is my third "full" piece, and it's not one of my more traditional pieces to be sure. Anyway, I'd really like to know what you all think, if you have the time.

neoTypic
06-01-2005, 04:18 AM
Overall I like it bud!

Some balance problems (the oboe/english horn? in the begining seems a bit too soft for instance). It seems a bit too even especially during the solo/duet sections. Try playing them in, you'll get a lot more freedom that way and it'll sound more natural. ;) The only other thing I can think of is to utilize your articulations, especially when you have repeated notes/phrases in a section. A player probably won't play everything that legato unless you really want them too ;)

Good job. :)

Brian Wardell
06-01-2005, 04:25 AM
Thanks, I kind of feel that way about the oboe in the opening as well, although I think I probably get too big with a lot of the instruments too fast, as it takes away from the ending, so I think I would probably be more inclined to reduce everything else to match it, but we'll see what I do when I have the time.

As for the articulations, well Scotty said it best "She canna' take much more of this captain!". ;) I've only got one gig of memory (all my aging motherboard will handle) and an AthlonXP 1700. Hardly big, but I could sqeeze more out of it I'm sure. I just kind of stopped, given one of my other compositions had memory issues and it was getting to be a headache to work around and I just wanted to get it done and see how it sounded. I'll have to give it the once over and work out those things. Also I was afraid I might over do it, as my first song I did with Gold I liked and then I kept going and by the time I was done it was just way overblown in so many ways, and I didn't want to repeat. It's a learning experience for sure.

Thanks for the comments! :D

edit: Oh, and by the way. Play them in? That would require the abiltiy to play the piano. ;) I'm working on learning that too though. I'm getting there, and am much better at improvising than I am at playing what's on the page. Until I can get my hands on a tuba that will send midi data to my comp I'm stuck wingin' it. I'll give it a try though.

neoTypic
06-01-2005, 04:34 AM
Oh trust me, I completely understand.

I'm feeling completely overwhelmed at this point by EWQLSO because my poor tanker of a PC starts crying even before I start THINKING about trying to load up more than a few patches. *laughs*