PDA

View Full Version : Question about how to get around how Legato Patches Work

Piano Pete
03-17-2016, 04:49 PM
Hello,

I have noticed that with some Legato patches you cannot have the patch play chords, would the transpose trick get around this since it would technically be multiple independent patches playing?

pkm
03-17-2016, 04:51 PM
If you're playing different notes, you don't need the transposition trick. Just separate patches will do.

Piano Pete
03-17-2016, 05:00 PM
Im asking about the legato slur patches in particular. If I have a melody harmonized, it will not play all the notes. Would I just reload the patch again?

pkm
03-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Yeah just add a new patch for each individual line you want to play

LMW
03-17-2016, 05:37 PM
Or duplicate. Thatīs what I do.

Piano Pete
03-17-2016, 09:57 PM
Lmw- I tried that, but since it is coming from the same instance, it still behaves as if it is still on the same track.

LMW
03-17-2016, 10:06 PM
Sorry, I meant I duplicate the instance. My legato writing rarely requires
more than line per instrument, which is why I donīt mind the extra track.

Oh, and moved this to General Discussion.

Piano Pete
03-19-2016, 12:42 PM
Thanks,

I swore I put it in the general forum.

For adding extra instances of Play in a VEP metaframe, on a project by project basis, do you constantly have to re-save the individual VEP instance files, or will VEP reload anything that the DAW had loaded previously?

widekeys
03-19-2016, 02:27 PM
You could also use CC22 to switch to poly legato.
The only problem is that PLAY will play legato sounds on chord initiation. One workaround is to use the expression CC to cut the unwanted sound on chord starting.

If you often need a second line for harmonization or counterpoint I'd suggest to use an legato patch for the main melody line and low ram sus patches for harmonization and counter melodies. If you use the CC22 trick, the individual lines always will use the same dynamic changes and vibrato changes which results in an organ type of soundimpression.

Good luck.

C4L88
03-19-2016, 07:21 PM
If you often need a second line for harmonization or counterpoint I'd suggest to use an legato patch for the main melody line and low ram sus patches for harmonization and counter melodies. If you use the CC22 trick, the individual lines always will use the same dynamic changes and vibrato changes which results in an organ type of soundimpression.

I often do this if the contrapuntal line isn't a "drastic" or major line. Otherwise I generally copy the legato patch I already have loaded

The CC22/polyphonic trigger, to my eyes, works fine on some patches, but on others not so much