PDA

View Full Version : Questions about using VEP

MechaDino
04-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about buying VEP since I'd like to use my "old" computer to power my East West library (Just suscribed to composer's cloud, very satisfied btw). So my questions are :

1. Is there any known problem as for the compatibility of the PLAY engine 64 bit and VEP?

2. I understand that I need a Vienna key for each computer on which I'll use VEP. Can i use my eLicenser instead and do I need 3 license if I want to use 3 computer?

3. You link your computers via an ethernet cable. If I use 3 computer (1 master, 2 slaves), how would I set up the network? Do the 2 slaves needs to be connected to the master?

trumpoz
04-07-2016, 05:32 PM
The general idea of a master/slave computer setup is that the most powerful computer does the majority of the heavy lifting. My master is a 5 year old i7 950 and I added an i7 4790 earlier this year to do the heavy lifting of my play libraries. Just something to think about.

Anyways - to answer your questions.

1) There are no known issues. Occasionally there is a glitch, but VSL and EW have in the past worked together to solve them as it is in both their interests to ensure that the software works well with each other.

2) The Vienna key is the same as an eLicenser. You only need a license for each computer that you are running the VEPro server on. In my case I'm on Cubase so I needed one for the master computer and and for the slave computer.

3) You will need some sort of switch. I use this cheap one (https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26244&cPath=331&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=export_feed&gclid=CIGK1vHk_csCFYZjvAodENoMFQ&gclsrc=aw.ds#googlebase) and it works fine. All computers will need to be connected to it - I also have a separate line for a connection to the internet to update libraries/upload tracks etc.

MechaDino
04-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Thank you for your answers, very informative. To clarify :

2) I also use cubase, so I will need one elicenser for the master and one for the slave with vienna ensemble pro license on it? I don't need to pay twice for VEP but if I had two slave I would have to?

3) I still need to have a gigabyte port on master and slave even if I have a switch like the one you linked to, right? I'll have to update the network card of one of my computer if that is the case.

pkm
04-08-2016, 03:09 AM
2. VE Pro comes with 3 licenses, so you only need to pay for the extra viennakey.

3. You need Ethernet on all machines.

MechaDino
04-08-2016, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the answer,

I've been doing doing some research and I think I've found my setup. That being said, I have one last question : When using VEP, the slave machine handles the ram requirement, but does it also handle the "heavy lifting" of the cpu requirement? If my master computer has an ok processor, will a good slave machine handle the cpu requirement of the PLAY library?

jspencer
04-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Yes, the slave machine(s) will do all the "heavy lifting".

MechaDino
04-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Thank you everyone for your answers, I'll try to stick around and help others when the time comes :)

trumpoz
04-09-2016, 12:28 AM
I couldn't run the template I have without a slave computer....... some 350 tracks of Hollywood Orchestra. I would 1) Run out of RAM on my master very quickly and 2) Bring my 5-year old CPU on the master computer to its knees very quickly. I also run Kontakt and other libraries from the master computer as well.

trumpoz
04-09-2016, 12:29 AM
On a side note - when it comes to setting up the network, just follow the instructions that VSL provide...... I'm by no means an expert in networking but everything worked first go.