PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood vs Symphonic Orchestra?

Viegaard
04-13-2016, 08:39 AM
I have limited space on my SSDs.

Whats the major difference between the Hollywood series and Symphonic Orchestra? (Gold/Composer Cloud).

Are they two different beasts? Or is one better sounding than the other?

Im gonna use it for scoring.

jdrcomposer
04-13-2016, 09:46 AM
Two completely different. Hollywood has real recorded legato and is recorded on a sound stage often used for scoring. Symphonic orchestra is recorded in a hall, and has less advanced sampling techniques, although still sounds good. Listen to the demos and compare for yourself :)

jspencer
04-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Yes, they are completely different. I would definitely buy SO regardless, it has so many cool elements that aren't found in the Hollywood libraries.....whereas the Hollywood libraries contain big, lush patches; and the legato's in HS are wonderful.

Viegaard
04-14-2016, 07:56 AM
Two completely different. Hollywood has real recorded legato and is recorded on a sound stage often used for scoring. Symphonic orchestra is recorded in a hall, and has less advanced sampling techniques, although still sounds good. Listen to the demos and compare for yourself :)

So the Gold version of Hollywood is still more advanced than the Gold version of Orchestra?

jdrcomposer
04-14-2016, 08:17 AM
I would say so, yes, by a long shot.

Jay Asher
04-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Yes and no IMHO.

The Hollywood Orchestra has true legato, the QLSO does not. But apart from that, QLSO was recorded in a concert hall by a terrific Classical recording engineer while HO was recorded at EW studios by a terrific film score engineer.

It really comes down to what you want your music to sound like. I am an H.O. guy, but there is a reason the QLSO is the best selling orchestral library of all time.

Jonathan120
04-14-2016, 10:21 AM
It depends what you want to do and your budget. I've heard some fantastic mockups of classical pieces on this forum using SO (that will still be somewhere way back through the music cafe post from a year or two ago). If you have the dosh get Hollywood imo, and if you feel it's missing some things you can always take a look and see if other libraries have the things you're missing. I personally don't like SO these days.

As for best selling, it's been out a lot longer, costs a lot less, was the first leap back then of its kind (I think?) and there was less competition from other sample library developers compared to how many there are today, yeah? I wouldn't say it's the best selling based solely on the samples/programming comparing it to other sample libraries today. But it certainly had its time of being top and some patches are still very useful.

But the brass in SO has very weird dynamic programming with the layers (of which others also commented on.) It annoyed me so much when I first got SO that I picked up Hollywood Brass immediately and never looked back.

jspencer
04-14-2016, 12:10 PM
But the brass in SO has very weird dynamic programming with the layers (of which others also commented on.) It annoyed me so much when I first got SO that I picked up Hollywood Brass immediately and never looked back.

Lol! I'm the opposite, I use the brass in SO for most of my brass parts....and I love the solo brass. Still a huge lover of the French Horns "power" DXF patch!

Jonathan120
04-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Oh ha, well I can't recall the solo brass actually, the soundbyte in my mind was some form of staccato patch which I could never get to sound right. (Although probably 50/50 with my abysmal DAW skills then). :D I still like some of the staccato string patches in SO for the "bounce". But yeah, overall Hollywood series is awesome and gets my vote overall.

jggiano
05-13-2016, 08:05 AM
Are there actual instrument lists available (other than in the manual)? Does Hollywood Orchestra Gold offer Solo strings, as well as string and woodwind groups? Thanks for any help.

trumpoz
05-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Are there actual instrument lists available (other than in the manual)? Does Hollywood Orchestra Gold offer Solo strings, as well as string and woodwind groups? Thanks for any help.

Manual might be your best bet. Off the top of my head:

HS is divided by sections, vln 1 &2 vla vcl dbl bass

HB has some ensemble patches in them but they are generally divided per instrument ie 2 & 3 tpt, 2 & 6 FH, 2 Tenor and 1 Bass Trb, Low Brass Ens (huge sound)
HOW are all individual solo instruments
I think HOP are all individual instruments as well

Hollywood Solo Instruments (Violin Cello and Harp) are a separate bundle and not part of Hollywood Orchestra Gold.

jggiano
05-13-2016, 07:46 PM
Thanks for taking the time to help.