PDA

View Full Version : How to use Spaces?

JC_Composer
04-20-2016, 02:35 PM
I watched a video on Spaces on YouTube and am excited to use this. I've just messed around with this in Cubase 8.5 Pro for a while and I just have no idea how to make this work with the other midi tracks.

I can get to it as an fx plug-in so I have it in Cubase. Now I just can't figure out how to do anything with it at all so input goes through it. Really n00bish post here, of course.

Thanks!

trumpoz
04-20-2016, 03:02 PM
Im on 8.03 so unless there is a major change in 8.5 it should still be fine.

In the mixer view above the faders there should be a sends field. Click on that, select the FX chan for the send, make sure you press the activate button on the left hand side of the field and then adjust the send amount.

Also check the wet/dry setting in spaces as well to make sure the FX chan is 100% wet and no dry signal.

LGK_Dude
04-20-2016, 06:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwHX297opsY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwZblWHh8Ec

JC_Composer
05-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Im on 8.03 so unless there is a major change in 8.5 it should still be fine.

In the mixer view above the faders there should be a sends field. Click on that, select the FX chan for the send, make sure you press the activate button on the left hand side of the field and then adjust the send amount.

Also check the wet/dry setting in spaces as well to make sure the FX chan is 100% wet and no dry signal.

I'm not figuring out how this should work . . . I'm not sure how the videos are directing me to the way to make this work.

I seem to be a bit slow at this. :( I haven't used FX channels before. I attached a screenshot of what I tried to work with if I could trouble someone to see what they think.

JC_Composer
05-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Okay, so after a lot of frustration I figured out to select the instrument track (like the one used for an instance of PLAY) and add the effect on that particular track, not by adding SPACES to its own FX track.

I don't know if I just didn't catch this in the video tutorials I looked over or what, but using an FX track was just not working for me.

peter5992
05-23-2016, 04:14 PM
Okay, so after a lot of frustration I figured out to select the instrument track (like the one used for an instance of PLAY) and add the effect on that particular track, not by adding SPACES to its own FX track.

I don't know if I just didn't catch this in the video tutorials I looked over or what, but using an FX track was just not working for me.

I don't know how this works in Cubase -- you might want to visit the Cubase forum on how to use effects -- but I use Reaper, and it's pretty straightforward, just add it as an additional effect to the instrument channel.

Conceptually there are three ways to go about this:

(1) add reverb per instrument, by insert
(2) add reverb to a group of instruments
(3) just use one general reverb for everything

Traditionally, you use "sends" to send the output of your instrument to an aux channel in which a reverb is inserted, and then you control the amount of reverb by the amount of signal send, the wet / dry settings, etc.

But nowadays most DAWs are so flexible, you can set it up however you like.

christerholm
05-24-2016, 03:03 AM
You have made your FX track, now you need to set the instances of your player, PLAY or Kontakt etc, to output into that FX track, and not to the default "Stereo Out". Then their sound goes through Spaces, and from there to Sterero out.

Or just slap Spaces on your master output track. Then you don't have to worry about any FX track routing.