PDA

View Full Version : Track or Rack Instruments for PLAY in Cubase?

jamieboo
04-24-2016, 04:04 AM
Used EWQLSO previously for many years, recently upgraded to Hollywood Orchestra. Using Cubase 8.
Through force of habit I have always set up my template using Rack Instruments in Cubase (as opposed to Track Instruments), but now that Track Instruments can accommodate multitimbral instances I'm wondering which would be best.
Basically it seems that there's now very little difference between Rack and Track instruments in Cubase, and that the Rack option continues now as more of a legacy choice.
Just wondering what you folks think on this issue?
I use PLAY (multitimbrally) pretty exclusively, so which is the best way to go - Track or Rack instruments?

Thanks folks!

Boberg
04-24-2016, 04:12 AM
I only own Cubase 7, so I have no experience with the multitimbral instrument tracks, but I think this mainly comes down to your own personal preference. What suits your workflow best?

jtay
04-24-2016, 06:21 AM
I go with track instruments for several reasons:
1. Fewer clicks to set up.
2. Can save track presets which include insert effects.
3. Track instruments can be renamed while rack instruments cannot.

trumpoz
04-25-2016, 11:59 PM
Note: I have a big template created so I just load everything from that and it is all set up.

I use rack instruments because that is the way I have always worked. Do instrument tracks accommodate multiple midi tracks on different chans? If it can't then the rack instruments make it easier to stack and layer articulations.

3. Track instruments can be renamed while rack instruments cannot.

Yes they can.

Press F11
Double click on the name of the rack instrument to re-name and type it in.

My Template (https://www.dropbox.com/s/43j71yhzvvktdtk/Rack%20Name%20Changes.jpg?dl=0)

jtay
04-26-2016, 01:30 AM
Yes they can.

Press F11
Double click on the name of the rack instrument to re-name and type it in.

My Template (https://www.dropbox.com/s/43j71yhzvvktdtk/Rack%20Name%20Changes.jpg?dl=0)

Good to know. I will remember that the next time I work with rack instruments.

Do instrument tracks accommodate multiple midi tracks on different chans? If it can't then the rack instruments make it easier to stack and layer articulations.

Yes they do. Right click on an instrument track and pick "New MIDI Track." The new MIDI track will be automatically routed to the instrument track you clicked on. Then you can pick its MIDI channel the same way you normally do. (You can also route a MIDI track to any instrument track by selecting it from the list of outputs, but right clicking is faster.)

LGK_Dude
05-07-2016, 02:51 PM
The main difference is an organizational one. For Instrument Racks, each new audio input is on its own track (defaults to the VST instruments folder), where Instrument Tracks, each new audio input is folded under the main track. If you only plan on using one audio input or one type of track, I would use Instrument Tracks as it makes things cleaner.