PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Live Instruments with Samples

GWStreicher
05-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Hi all!

I'm currently scoring a feature and I'm lucky enough to have been given a small budget to record LIVE soloists to augment (and sometimes replace) the samples orchestra.

I've had some luck getting the live recordings to sit with the samples, but in some cases it's proving to be tricky.

The live recordings are very dry, so there's lots of wiggle room for manipulation with EQ, reverb, etc.

I was wondering, does anyone out there had any tips on EQ-ing and mixing live soloists with the samples? (Example: layering a Trumpet or French Horn soloist over a sampled French Horn Section)

Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Gabriel_M
05-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Ooh, yeah! I am new to this stuff and would love to hear some thoughts on this as well!

dariusofwest
05-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Hi there GW!

I've done some mixing of live recordings and MIDI in the past, and I mostly found it helpful to pan the live recordings to match the samples and add some reverb to taste. Never really tried EQ'ing. Also for layering the soloists, I've found it's better to just get more live takes then layer those instead of just the soloist over the MIDI. (just sounded better, IMO)

Btw all of your music is awesome!

GWStreicher
05-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Hi there GW!

I've done some mixing of live recordings and MIDI in the past, and I mostly found it helpful to pan the live recordings to match the samples and add some reverb to taste. Never really tried EQ'ing. Also for layering the soloists, I've found it's better to just get more live takes then layer those instead of just the soloist over the MIDI. (just sounded better, IMO)

Btw all of your music is awesome!
Thanks for the input! It's definitely helped to move it back with the verb. I've actually been trying out pushing the live stuff more to the front as a kind of "close mic" layer and almost treating the samples as a kind of verb-y reflection. It helps give the live stuff some body.

EQ wise, I've just been warming up some of the live stuff and keep it from clashing with the other samples. It's been hard to get a clear, sharp sound to match the pro-libraries while not completely thinning out the live recordings.

And thanks for the kind words - glad you like the music!

dariusofwest
05-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Neat! Looking forward to hearing it. :)