PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood strings articulations help

donnykaraoke
05-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Hello,

I have HS Gold and i'm playing a simple 4 bar loop. 2 notes, followed by 2 notes, followed by 2 notes, followed by 2 notes. I can't seem to find a string sound that makes it sound nice and realistic. I am looking in 1st violins - 01 Long, i have loaded every patch in that folder and they all pretty much sound the same. Even the keyswitches sound the same, i use the mod wheel i can hear some vibrato and thats about it.

I don't have an expression pedal so i'm having to draw it in, but when I'm scanning through the patches, i play a chord and they're all so load and harsh, so what am i supposed to do draw some expression in just so i can hear at a reasonable level?

What does NV NV NV NB RR actually mean? well i know its non vib non vib etc but does it mean when you push the mod wheel up it changes to these different articulations? cause they all sound the same to me. Also the RR has like 2 dynamic levels so just sounds awful.

So my question is, how do i make my simple 4 bar loop sound nice?

Thanks a lot!

Don

LGK_Dude
05-07-2016, 01:22 PM
This information is actually in the manual for the product, but simply put for the NV NV NV NB RR patch and similar, CC1 controls both vibrato and player volume (i.e. the player moving from soft to loud) while CC11 controls the patch volume. This is different from the other straight sus patches in which CC1 controls just the vibrato amount while CC11 controls the volume.

Hope this helps, and here is a link to the manual incase you need more details
http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/docs/EW-QL_Hollywood-Strings-Gold_Manual.pdf

donnykaraoke
05-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Thanks LGK! Appreciate that. i should have read the manual but i'm trying to send a piece of music to someone and just wanted simple nice string sound.

Can i ask, with the DB UB patches, do you open two instances of HS and then record one note on the DB and the next on the UB patch? i suppose that would be a good way to make it sound more realistic but seems a bit long winded.

Cheers,

Don

LGK_Dude
05-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Nope. Again per the manual :) the DB and UB (down bow up bow) patches are very specific if you need that sound for your arrangement. It is instead highly recommended (unless you specifically need all down bows or all up bows) to use the RR (round robin) patches as they automatically switch from down bow to up bow and automatically alternate between them.

I recommend checking out some youtube tutorials on how to use Hollywood Strings. Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVyoR5osoAk

donnykaraoke
05-23-2016, 04:45 PM
Sorry LGK, forgot to check posts. Thanks for replying and your help with this :)

All the best,

Don