PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Strings - Adding attack to sustain patches?

LGK_Dude
05-07-2016, 03:32 PM
Iím wondering if its possible to add attack samples to sustain patches to help the starts of notes speak more clearly? I did find the Marc Sus 9 RR patch, but unfortunately the volume balances between the two articulations are not matched well. For example, load the Marc Sus 9 RR patch (long folder) and bring the cc11 volume down as if you were recording a soft passage (CC 11 at 20-40, CC1 controls the vibrato and I have it around 50) and now using velocity try to blend that Marc sound so its just helping with the attack of the soft sus and doesn't sound like an accent. On my system I have to bring down the actual volume of the marc sht sample down to at least -26db in the player view -> articulations before it starts to sound natural. Which would be fine if this worked for the whole patch, but now bring that CC 11 up to 80+ (mod wheel can come up too) and you'll hear that the marc sound is way too soft now, and needs to be brought up to -16db before it starts to sound natural again. I've tried editing the velocity of the notes as well, and it seems this does change the strength of the attack for the marcato, but not really the volume.

This would all be fine if I could simply midi learn the volume for the marc shrt in the player -> articulations view and manually ride it, just like I do the volume cc11 of the whole patch, but AFAIK this is not possible?

trumpoz
05-07-2016, 05:36 PM
I just use another midi track with staccato a staccato patch.

You could also try stacking a sus patch with a staccato patch and just use velocity to control the attack using the same midi channel. It would take a little tweaking but it will eork

oleJoergensen
05-08-2016, 01:18 PM
I just use another midi track with staccato a staccato patch.

You could also try stacking a sus patch with a staccato patch and just use velocity to control the attack using the same midi channel. It would take a little tweaking but it will eork

That's good inspiration, thank you.
I just tried it, what a change.