PDA

View Full Version : Steinberg announces Dorico!!

peter5992
05-17-2016, 02:54 PM
Fyi, in case you missed it, a very exciting announcement today by Steinberg:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/dorico.html
http://blog.steinberg.net/2016/05/meet-dorico-coming-q4-2016/#more-396

Dorico -- not to be confused with Doritos ;) -- is a new notation program, to be released in the fourth quarter of 2016.

Integration with virtual instruments is not a top priority, but they will have out details in the upcoming months ... the idea being that although it won't replace Cubase, you will be able to have direct control over the device, channel, patch, keyswitches, and some basic midi editing (all according to Daniel Spreadbury, on the Steinberg Dorico pre-release forum).

Very exciting times .... :)

trumpoz
05-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Will be interesting to see how it goes.

I'm not going to be an early purchaser, but I'm very interested in the product. The midi editing will have to be very good to compete with the Sibelius/Note Performer combination.

LMW
05-17-2016, 05:30 PM
I kind of would have hoped that it would / could be implemented as an add-on
for the Cubase Notation program, replacing it in the process - resulting in a
streamlined Cubase -> Notation workflow.
But it seems like it will be a completely different product.

Though it will definitely be interesting to see what Steinberg comes up with. :)

Jonathan120
05-17-2016, 09:04 PM
Looks very cool, but the screenshot there of the key editor/piano roll with the note blocks is absolutely useless for proper mockups imo. I'd also like to see it as an add-on replacing the currently-unusable score editor (forty seven gajillion ledger lines for a low piano or double bass is just facepalm) and to be able to switch between the score editor and key editor in Cubase with a single key, rather than importing and exporting between two programs. :-/

I'd be an early purchaser if it was integrated, but as a stand alone it's pretty useless for me since I need to provide realistic mockups and never a printed or pdf score.

peter5992
05-18-2016, 10:30 AM
It's designed as an engraving and composition program, first and foremost ... the details for the audio engine and exactly how it will work with VST are not a priority.

In the longer run, they anticipate that there will be some integration with Cubase though details are still unclear right now. It was developed by the former Sibelius team (under the leadership of Daniel Spreadbury), Steinberg has another team based in Hamburg that is working on the audio engine.

Right now, it is possible to use EW libraries with Sibelius ... but the setup is far from intuitive, and gives very little detailed control over the instruments ... the end result being that it's not really suitable for realistic mockups.

It would be quite something to be able to use the notation and midi side by side, without having to go back and forth the whole time ...

wcreed51
05-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Hopefully, EW will release a VST3 version of Play, as Dorico may not support the current version.

trumpoz
05-18-2016, 02:57 PM
Hopefully, EW will release a VST3 version of Play, as Dorico may not support the current version.

If you already have VEPro then this is not an issue.

Jonathan120
05-18-2016, 09:02 PM
Right now, it is possible to use EW libraries with Sibelius ... but the setup is far from intuitive, and gives very little detailed control over the instruments ... the end result being that it's not really suitable for realistic mockups.

It just seems pretty pointless for them to include, from what I can tell from the screenshot, some little key editor window with the usual DAW note blocks. Might as well just import it as MIDI to the DAW instead for the greater control over expression. :-/

Even if you can adjust the quantize ticks for notes to be more realistic, it's still not going to compete on a professional level with DAW made mockups.

I'll just download the trial version before buy. Companies can't really pull the "you'll just have to buy it and see, on a no refund basis, whether you like it or not" in this day. ^_^

wcreed51
05-19-2016, 05:05 AM
They're just starting to work on the playback functions, so I wouldn't take any screen shots very seriously at this point...

peter5992
05-19-2016, 04:27 PM
They're just starting to work on the playback functions, so I wouldn't take any screen shots very seriously at this point...

Indeed ... release won't be until 6 months from now, so who knows what they will come up with over the summer.

Playback is really not the primary focus of the group leading effort (Daniel's London based team), and there are other things that a lot of people find more urgent, like the ability to use chord symbols ... judging by the feedback on the new Steinberg Dorico forum.

But the developers are obviously very much in tune with what people would like to see so I have pretty high hopes ...

Conceptually, their approach to "players" and "parts" is very intriguing ... apparently you will be able to set up a score thinking in terms of "what group of people do I have" rather than "what staves should I have in my score" ... and then the program will somehow sort it out and create a score with parts that cleverly create instrument changes, multiple / single staffs, and so on.