PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons VE Pro 5 with Cubase Pro 8.5

politik
05-26-2016, 05:55 AM
Hi Guys,
Before I post this message, I did a search from google but it was not a success.
I hesitate to buy the VEPro 5 in order to use it with my DAW cubase but I don't really know what are the pros & cons of it. Today I have 120 midi tracks in cubase (may be 300 later), most of it HB and HS diamond and some EWQLSO stuffs and for each track, I create an instance of PLAY 4. My spec :
Imac 27 5k (late 2015), 40Gb ok RAM (will be extended soon to 64Gb), i7 processor, 2To SSD.
By the way, how do you do to always have your specs appeared below your message? :)
Thanks a lot.

mrdsee
05-26-2016, 06:11 AM
By the way, how do you do to always have your specs appeared below your message? :)
Thanks a lot.
Go to "quick Links" "Edit Signature" on the top of the page.

Jonathan120
05-26-2016, 06:40 AM
Biggest pro's are if you (a) switch projects a lot and (b) have load time bugs and/or slow load times in general, then you don't need to reload the samples. And have an older master/slave setup for organization. Some say it helps even the CPU load, but without VEPRO5 my core 0 of my 5820K is only around 10-15% higher than my other 5 cores. If there is any truth to that claim (never tested it) then that may well be worth investigating further since I do know that your iMac 5k (seen youtube benchmarks) thermal throttles at 90c reducing performance, and gets hot pretty quickly under load exceeding 100c when under 100% CPU load benchmarks.

Biggest con is it potentially adds more possible bugs and crashes to your setup, as well as setting up.

jtay
05-26-2016, 06:44 AM
Pros:
- Much shorter Cubase save times while VEPro is decoupled
- Can switch Cubase projects while keeping the instruments loaded.
- Can host instruments on a networked slave machine if desired.

Cons:
- Setup may take some finagling to integrate into your workflow, depending on how you work.
- Have to recreate templates to utilize VEPro.

There aren't really comparable alternatives to using VEPro. I haven't heard of any products that offer similar features.

Jonathan120
05-26-2016, 06:56 AM
Pros:
- Much shorter Cubase save times while VEPro is decoupled

Interesting. How short are we talking? Currently I have a save time of 11-12 seconds in a 102GB project and since I save often it is irritating waiting that long for a save.

politik
05-26-2016, 07:15 AM
Thanks guys for replying.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I will only use Vepro 5 in my main computer. I don't have a slave one. Does it change everything? Is it not necessary to have it if I don't have a slave computer?
Thanks

jtay
05-26-2016, 07:37 AM
Interesting. How short are we talking? Currently I have a save time of 11-12 seconds in a 102GB project and since I save often it is irritating waiting that long for a save.

I saw my save times decreased by about a factor of 10—from tens of seconds to ones of seconds—when going from hosting all instruments in Cubase to hosting all instruments in decoupled VEPro instances. I don't have exact measurements, though.

Notes:
- My projects usually involve 25-30 GB of samples loaded in Play. No Kontakt instruments.
- My projects are saved on a HDD not an SSD.
- I can't speak for save times with VEPro coupled. All I know is that save times are longer when coupled and shorter when decoupled.
- Saving VEPro metaframes is still expectedly slow, in the tens of seconds.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I will only use Vepro 5 in my main computer. I don't have a slave one. Does it change everything? Is it not necessary to have it if I don't have a slave computer?
Thanks
A slave machine is not required. VEPro and Cubase can run simultaneously on the same machine. That's what I do.

jspencer
05-26-2016, 08:23 AM
Thanks

You can use it on the same computer. The biggest two advantages on Mac are....

1) CPU distribution (cores, etc).

2) As mentioned, your templates will remain loaded in between projects (only have to it up load once).

trumpoz
05-27-2016, 04:52 PM
If you dont like waiting then running VEPro in decouple mode is a sanity - saver.

It is an elegant piece of software. Download, RTFM, install, setup template, work. The manual is well written and easy to follow. Ask plenty of questions on here and other forums. There are a lot of people using VEPro