PDA

View Full Version : The Study of Orchestration, 4th Edition (OT)

peter5992
05-28-2016, 02:33 PM
It's here!!!

The 4th edition of Samuel Adler's "The Study of Orchestration" which is pretty much a must read / reference guide for anyone who is seriously interested in orchestration.

http://www.amazon.com/Study-Orchestration-Fourth-Samuel-Adler/dp/0393920658/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464447704&sr=8-2&keywords=the+study+of+orchestration

A good review by Thomas Goss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1c27cwdQe8&feature=youtu.be

yiminpang
05-29-2016, 01:55 AM
Cheers!

AllanH
05-29-2016, 07:07 AM
The release date has been pushed around between Feb 18th 2016 and July 1st 2016. June 1st seems to have been official for a while, so crossing my fingers.

tommyrack13
05-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Got one of the earlier (Third) editions complete with colour-coded mini Post-Its sticking out throughout the book for quick reference. Excellent guide - wouldn't be without it! Looking forward to seeing what's new in the latest. Thanks for the heads up!

T

nick1981
06-01-2016, 04:18 PM
It's here!!!

The 4th edition of Samuel Adler's "The Study of Orchestration" which is pretty much a must read / reference guide for anyone who is seriously interested in orchestration.

http://www.amazon.com/Study-Orchestration-Fourth-Samuel-Adler/dp/0393920658/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464447704&sr=8-2&keywords=the+study+of+orchestration

A good review by Thomas Goss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1c27cwdQe8&feature=youtu.be

Thanks peter5992. This is just what I'm looking for. I have orchestration books, but not this one. Before I further my knowledge of orchestration, I want to strengthen my knowledge of instrumentation (the ranges and abilities of each instrument). Does this book cover instrumentation, as well? Or, do you suggest I come to Samuel Adler's book after I gain a thorough study of instrumentation with another book?

C4L88
06-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Thanks peter5992. This is just what I'm looking for. I have orchestration books, but not this one. Before I further my knowledge of orchestration, I want to strengthen my knowledge of instrumentation (the ranges and abilities of each instrument). Does this book cover instrumentation, as well? Or, do you suggest I come to Samuel Adler's book after I gain a thorough study of instrumentation with another book?

I have the 3rd edition and it goes heavily into this

Covers ranges, techniques and how it is physically performed (even modern techniques), and how to notate them

For instance, in the violin there is a large section that describes possible chords and impossible chords/fingerings that they can play

peter5992
06-01-2016, 05:44 PM

Yes, the instruments are covered as well. You may want to take a look at the youtube review by Thomas Goss, link above, which goes into how the book is organized.

I know there are dozens of books on orchestration, from Berlioz to Rimsky Korsakoff to Piston; the intention of this book is to be a "grand guide" that covers most everything. So while you will find things in other books that you might not find in Adler, but in the big picture of things, in this day and age it's kind of the gold standard.

anthonyb
08-28-2016, 06:48 PM
I was about to purchase this book but decided to hold off because I wasn't sure if I would be able to access the online audio materials. Apparently you need to supply an email address of a music school (which I don't have because I am not a student) when you register your access code.

Has any non-music student been able to access the online audio materials?

AllanH
08-28-2016, 06:58 PM
I got the book and initially did not have access to the online material, through my personal email account. This was apparently caused by Amazon shipping before the online material was ready. I can confirm that I now have access with my personal email account.

anthonyb
08-28-2016, 07:03 PM
Fantastic -- thanks for the info!