PDA

View Full Version : The Funeral of All Dreams (silver)

JeZii
05-31-2005, 10:35 AM
Hey everyone.

Hehe, didn't really come up with a better name, but that shouldn't now matter that much... :D

Anyway, this is my second composition with EWQLSO Silver so far. All the other sounds, but just this one pad sound (4:21-5:52) are from Silver (the pad sound is from Korg N364 synth, by the way). My first attempt for any kind of "film music", but didn't plan any parts of the song to appear on any movie scene though. The song is my longest one so far also (8:01).

I've received so far quite much comment on it's parts, and I totally agree that they change too suddenly. Any comments are more than welcome, I didn't bring the song here just to show off my work, still training to get more from Silver than this. So please, post as many tips as possible. :) I'd appreciate it very much.

Download "The Funeral of All Dreams" here (http://www.mikseri.net/joonalaamanen)

Thank you,
~ Joona

neoTypic
06-01-2005, 03:29 AM
:eek:

I'll "say" that again:

:eek:

Damn man. That's some great stuff you've written! Even the Silver choirs which normally get thrown in for flavour are used well. Damn! There are some minor nit pickings but overall this is amazing!

You definitely put my gear lust to shame! :D All with "just" Silver. Hot damn bud.

Oh, and for the record I really like the name of the piece.

What is your compositional background if you don't mind me asking?

(Edit: I'm listening again for about the 5th time :o)

JeZii
06-01-2005, 06:06 AM
Hey, thank you very much for all your compliments! :)

I said "just" Silver, because I mean I'm not using any other samples, except of course this pad sound, as I said. I really love Silver's sounds, they give me a lot of inspiration.

Hmm, my compositional background? Well, I don't really have much of it, as I'm just at the age of 16. I remember that I made my first MIDI-file with a computer around the age of 10 or something... Then I just realized that composing is cool, and as I've been playing piano for 11 years now, that is making it a bit better for me to compose anything.

You didn't ask it, but I still say about my equipment, it's not really great. :D I have a 1,2 GHz PC with 512MB of RAM, and the hard drive is always being almost full, as its capacity is just 68GB. So it really gets annoying to do anything with that thing. Hopefully I'm gonna buy a Mac, but I'm so used to this Sonar sequencer, and unfortunately it's not available for Mac yet. :(

Anyway, thank you for your comments, more of them are also welcomed. :)

~Joona

neoTypic
06-01-2005, 06:22 AM
*laughs* Wow, what a way to put me in total shame! God forbid I ever whine about my equipment and such again. ;)

Honestly bud, that's really good stuff. I can't wait to see what you're up to in about 6 years if you keep up with this stuff. :D

Really, I wish my stuff was this good. *grins and shakes head*

JeZii
06-01-2005, 06:39 AM
Hehe, sorry, I didn't mean to put you in shame... :D But I think it doesn't really require a lot to do such a song. But I admit that I had quite a lot of inspiration when I was composing this one, couldn't really at the moment do anything better. But that's my goal of course, to advance in composing, just like anyone else.

But still, thank you, I'm very flattered. :) Good luck for your composing!

~Joona

neoTypic
06-01-2005, 06:41 AM
*laughs* Oh, I'm sure you didn't. ;)

Maybe for you it doesn't take a lot, for me it would have taken a few weeks to crank that out. :o

Thanks bud, I need it. Heheh. :D

Raul_
06-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Woaw, amazing !
I would like to explain why I love this composition, but I my english is so poor... :D Just know that your composition sounds great :)

metrobot
06-03-2005, 09:22 AM
nice stuff. great instrumentation. I believe that Silver is enough to get a great sound. People that can't should work as hard as you do! congrats!

JeZii
06-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Thank you, you both for your nice words. :)

I've been doubting a lot if I could get enough realistic/good sounds from Silver. I think myself that in this song in some parts the strings attack too hard. I couldn't really estimate my instrumentation/orchestration, as when I compose a song and listen to it many times, I already get used to all the instruments and how they play. Now I'm a bit more certain of myself, thank you. :)

Can't say I wouldn't have been working on this song... My computer's already starting to get too old and weak for doing music, so I've had to do everything on this song quite complicatedly. Recorded many short clips to audio one by one, and the audio data for this song is approx. 1GB, because all the clips were automatically saved by Sonar as WAV-files. I can't clearly remember how long did it take to compose this song, maybe a week or two. Some of the melodies in the song I've composed already a long time ago and decided to put them in this one. :D

Anyway, thanks for all of your nice comments! I'm already feeling like to compose another song right away...

~Joona

Debinani
06-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Wow, yeah.
I guess I need to get my head out of Ra and get back to some strings.
It always amazes me how much talent is rolling around this site. I noticed Jared Hudson posted a piece - I heard something of his quite a few years back when he was even younger than he is now and it just put my hobbiest butt to shame. :P
Guess I need to get practicing some more. :)