PDA

View Full Version : Ellessar - first composition with EWQLSO Silver.

wayne_rowley
04-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi there,

I bought Silver a few weeks ago, but have only just had the time to have a serious play. I have attached a link to my first orchestral piece created with Silver:

Ellessar.mp3 (http://www.bootlebug.plus.com/ellessar.mp3)

I would appreciate any comments or feedback - both good and bad.

I am fairly happy with the piece as a first attempt with Silver (the composition is adapted from one I wrote a few years ago). I need to practice more at using controllers and articulations effectively and also learn more about orchestration and arrangement.

But I will see what others think!

Thanks,
Wayne

wayne_rowley
04-09-2005, 03:04 AM
Hmmm... That bad huh? ;) ;)

It would be nice to get some feedback - good or bad!! :)

Thanks!

mike753
04-09-2005, 03:17 AM
Hi Wayne, for the first attempt with Silver, it is certainly not bad, and both instrumentation and arrangement are quite well done. I just would like to confirm what you said by yourself, to deal more with controllers and so on, especially with the repetition notes in the reeds, and the strings sometimes sound a little bit synthi and flat. Good work though!

neoTypic
04-09-2005, 07:37 AM
I know the clarinet (bassoon perhaps? sorry ears are bad, just getting off of work) line is very basic but consider paying more attention to it as it outlines the groundwork for the intro and begining of the piece. It is also picked up by other instruments later.

A clarinet player would never play those notes so evenly. Consider altering the velocity to create accents and stresses in the pattern. If you have a good feel for performance consider playing that line in even though it's so basic.

Overall the piece is put together well. Repetitions will kill you however if you aren't careful to impart some feeling. Also try layering the repeating parts in different channels and make sure the starts and ends aren't all EXACTLY together. A section will never play EXACTLY together. Milliseconds do make a difference in the sonic quality of a section.