PDA

View Full Version : DEMO CONTEST VOTING FOR APRIL/MAY

Doug Rogers
06-01-2005, 06:13 PM
When you vote, please list the track and composer only so it's easy to count the winning entry. Only one vote per person. If we see any foul play the entry will be disqualified. Voting will end June 7.

Good luck everyone! :)

- Doug

Bernard Asselin
06-01-2005, 06:29 PM
rJames - Fairies

Brilliant orchestration! :cool:

tango9jeff
06-01-2005, 08:30 PM
"Angels Fly"

"Neil Factory"

one amazing song and awesome orchestration! go neil!

dcoscina
06-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Julien Phalip's Fou Rire is great. I like the interplay between orchestral choirs. Nice textures built and the phrasing is superb. He really got a great sound out of Silver.

drew
06-01-2005, 09:13 PM
rjames fairies

Anytempo
06-01-2005, 09:16 PM
"Angels Fly"

"Neil Factory"

one amazing song and awesome orchestration! go neil!

tango9jeff,

are you sure this one is in the competition? I have not been able to find it while scrolling through the submissions pages. I remember it from the other posts, great stuff, but there was more than Soundsonline instruments on it (if I recall correctly, i.e. some stylus, etc.).

Oneilio
06-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Hey Doug, i hate to sound like a hater here, but i think this whole voting process is pretty unfair and not very professional, because you know that 95% of the people aren't going to sit down and listen to all 80 entries and make an educated opinion. What we need are delegated judges that will listen to all of them and decide on a winner. I think the idea to have this contest is awsome, don't get me wrong, but i think in the future it would be better if we had judging as opposed to open voting.

Clockworker
06-01-2005, 09:36 PM
I agree with you Oneilio! :)

This is a quite unfair...

(not not professionnal, but a little bit unfair for all participant!)

Sorry for my bad english! :D

Oneilio
06-01-2005, 09:38 PM
what we should do is only allow 1 entry per person, and have delegated judges, IMO that would be perfect.

ToddK
06-01-2005, 09:45 PM
I dont know guys. N and D are nice enough to have a competition,
and they're giving away a fairly large prize. About a thousand bucks.

You guys start complaining, and they're gonna get to thinking its
more trouble than its worth, then next thing ya know, we see a
sticky from Nick saying"sorry everybody, the competition was too
much of a pain in the butt! No more contests!""

Besides, asking to appoint judges??? :confused:

I think you're missing the point, as well as taking it too seriously.
Just my opinion. But please, lets not start barking orders to
N and D. They have enough to deal with already.
We dont need 30 or 40 posts in this thread discussing wether or not
judges should be appointed!!!! :eek:

This thread is for votes. Not complaints.

TK

Oneilio
06-01-2005, 09:52 PM
dude, all we would have to do is get like 5 forum members here to be judges, and we can rotate out the judges. It'll be extremely easy. If we're gonna do this, why not do it right? I never said i wasn't thankful for the contest, i am, but cmon, it could be alot better with just a tad more effort.
i would be more than willing to put in some extra effort.

Clockworker
06-01-2005, 10:03 PM
we're not complaint.. we only give a opinion :)

But me, i'm happy of this contest!
I'll vote tommorow after listening all demo... and i'll edit this post for my voting! :)

Edit :

After a long meditation!
Randall - Source Discovery :)

Stefan Podell
06-01-2005, 10:12 PM
We dont need 30 or 40 posts in this thread discussing wether or not
judges should be appointed!!!! :eek:

This thread is for votes.

Well said. I think people are entitled to comment about how the contest works, but start a different thread for that. As Todd said, this thread is for votes.

- Stefan

Pi_314
06-01-2005, 11:18 PM
A Dreams Tale by Clockworker

Can't say I listened to them all (to many to digest in one sitting to make a proper judgement for just one vote). I listened to them when they were posted, and thats when one should make a judgement on a scale from one to ten. I.E. One vote per tune per member. You let the puter keep tabs (Thats if your program that runs this forum allows for this). You then establish the top five or ten submissions for the month, by which the chaff is removed, whereby a new round of voting makes a statement for superiority of the top five or ten. Obviously this is a spur of the moment thing, and nobody checked the devil in the details.

I can say with fair confidence that the winner this month will likely not be the cream of the crop out of shear imbalance regarding entries. Somebody is gonna get lucky, or be a mutiple member :-) , or some such nonsense.

I like the contests though, even if it's out of tune.

IvanP
06-02-2005, 01:34 AM
My vote goes to Lux's Synapsis.

Excellent colour, rythm, buidling crescendo and mix.

(Close Runner... Rjames Fairies :) )

Evan
06-02-2005, 02:13 AM
Ill vote for anything by lux, so Synapsis takes my vote! :)

*holds up sign* "I love you luca!" hehe..jk :cool:

MakeANote
06-02-2005, 04:17 AM
Jungle Groove
ToddK

Thanks.

Rico
06-02-2005, 05:28 AM
rJames - Star Trek Underscore

lil-man
06-02-2005, 06:22 AM
:) All of them were good. Here's my vote:
RJames - Star Trek Underscore

jhawksley
06-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Redemption part 3,
Moviemaestro

Debinani
06-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Man, I can't even bring myself to vote for myself. :P

Redemption part 3,
Moviemaestro

AndyFinkenstadt
06-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Redemption 3

Oneilio
06-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Ascension

Liam

jphilpit
06-02-2005, 08:48 PM
I listened to all of them I could get to. Lots and lots of good stuff, guys. (Any gals?)

Having to choose only one, I vote for:

ToddK
On the Hunt (a.k.a. JungleGroove)

Thanks for participating, everyone.
John

JacKuLL
06-02-2005, 09:55 PM
rJames - Fairies

Brilliant orchestration! :cool:

I gave a fair listening to at least half of the entries, & everybody made a good job out of their pieces but "FAIRIES" stand out on it's own. AGREED to Bernard, beautiful orchestration & use of EWQL library..

jacKuLL

aholston
06-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Celtic Cannon - debinani

Liam
06-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Chris Bouchard

Montage of Power, Glory and Fear.

Great work Chris, very powerful!

Blazinghammer
06-03-2005, 12:10 AM
ToddK "Highseas"

SiFi
06-03-2005, 02:09 AM
And my vote goes to.......

ToddK - JungleGroove/On the hunt.

Great groove, sounds like something I might have heard/seen in The Incredibles or some Bond flik. Fantastic, great groove and feeling. Love it!

Simon.

tango9jeff
06-03-2005, 07:25 AM
Forgive me guys I thought angels fly was in the listing. Then my vote goes to

"Last chance"

Neil Factory =)

Jeff

guy theaker
06-03-2005, 07:51 AM
Difficult choice, but -

rJames - 'Fairies'

Gieve
06-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Always hard to choose, but i fell in love with

"A dream's Tale" from Wickness Production

(My second choice would have been for "Awaken" from Lil-Man. A simple one, but with a lot of emotion in it. Really good!)

Gieve.

ChrisE
06-03-2005, 11:55 AM
RJames - 'Fairies'

nhick ramiro pacis did great with Andante for EWQLSO Strings, but RJames' orchestration did it for me :D

Keep up the great work!

Waywyn
06-03-2005, 12:06 PM
don't want to be an a-hole here, but there are quite a view people with just 1-5 posts around in this thread?

i hope those are really new registered persons who keep on posting. if not it wouldnt be a problem to get somebody win the price by registering ten or more users.

sorry to say that, but it wouldnt be fair to do that :)

Craig Sharmat
06-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Lots of great stuff. If I was in a another mood i might have voted differently.

I loved Ron's "Fairy" orchestration and Nhick Ramario Picis Adante for strings was lovely, but because I have been into movie scores recently and my head is there...I am going for

GB Whales Mysteries

Liam
06-03-2005, 08:30 PM
don't want to be an a-hole here, but there are quite a view people with just 1-5 posts around in this thread?

i hope those are really new registered persons who keep on posting. if not it wouldnt be a problem to get somebody win the price by registering ten or more users.

I hate to say it, but that may be happening. If it is, they'll get caught I'm sure.

Waywyn
06-04-2005, 03:09 AM
I hate to say it, but that may be happening. If it is, they'll get caught I'm sure.

yes i know, i was just saying that registering an account at a forum should be used for other things instead of using it to vote for something. i didn't say IT HAPPENS, i was just saying IT COULD BE. nothing else.

it should be just kind of a thing to think about - nothing else and i am accusing NO ONE individually!

dcoscina
06-04-2005, 06:26 AM
I think voting should only be limited to those who entered. IMO. And obviously the rule is you cannot vote for yourself.

Gieve
06-04-2005, 07:03 AM

I guess i am one of the ones aimed by this (1 post only until now). I can assure you i'm independant. I haven't posted any demo this month, but i might do it in the future. But i have to admit that your thread has a point. Making that only the ones that post a demo can vote could be indeed a solution. Even if nothing prevents someone to post several demos under different names... Hard, isn't it? :p

Gieve

jhawksley
06-04-2005, 08:24 AM
I guess i am one of the ones aimed by this (1 post only until now). I can assure you i'm independant. I haven't posted any demo this month, but i might do it in the future. But i have to admit that your thread has a point. Making that only the ones that post a demo can vote could be indeed a solution. Even if nothing prevents someone to post several demos under different names... Hard, isn't it? :p

Gieve

Yes I think I am probably also targeted by this post, so I should say hello; I've just got in on the storm drum group buy and that's how I came to learn about EW and this forum in general. I am composing using another library, so I probably won't post any demos, at least until storm drum arrives.

-John

--
http://www.hawksley.net/mp3

Oneilio
06-04-2005, 02:18 PM
uhh........what email??? :mad:
are you saying that you emailed forum members telling them to vote for fairies?

moviemaestro
06-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Oneillio,

I think that he's joking! :D It was funny :) Lighten up a little :) Geez :)

Oneilio
06-04-2005, 03:33 PM
lol it's hard to recognize humor like that on a message board. for me anyways. maybe i'm just a failure. sorry for the useless post

drew
06-04-2005, 08:09 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and place my vote for rJames, "Fairies".

If its good enough for Bernard (who is one killer composer and mockup artist) its good enough for me. :)

EastWest makes great products that are necessary to today's composers. I'd be crazy not to vote for myself. Thanks for anyone who has or will vote for one of my compositions. In a way, that is the best prize (but I'd like to have RA in my arsenal).

This is a very new forum and has a lot of new users because of Gold and StormDrum group buys.

Let's face it Doug and Nick want the new users to get involved.

Get Involved!

And for you two who voted for one of my other entries; the email said "Fairies, Fairies"!@#!!@!@

I was hoping no one would vote for themselves - I regret voting for you, there were others that were very worthy - yours was not that exceptional.

Kayamb
06-04-2005, 10:57 PM
What a tough competition. I listened to most of the entries and it was not easy to pick one up.
Well, finally my vote goes to Jungle Groove, by ToddK.

Good luck to everyone!

Julien.

Pi_314
06-04-2005, 11:27 PM
I was hoping no one would vote for themselves - I regret voting for you, there were others that were very worthy - yours was not that exceptional.
You know - There is nothing in the rules that says you can't change your vote. I think it just says your vote needs to be in by such a date. ;) I'm thinking of changing my vote, because I didn't like RJames acceptance speech before he actually won.

A Dreams Tale wherein the soul with the least conquers all. :rolleyes:

I must say..... this thread (contest) is entertaining.
This has the backstabbing of a beauty contest. The lure of the unknown. The moves of a chess match. This rivals the Thrilla in Manilla!

rJames
06-05-2005, 12:00 AM
My wife tells me that if I answer your charge that I will just dig a deeper hole. So here goes.

Drew, I didn't ask you to vote for me. I was happy that you did. Its sad that it takes an analysis of my behavior for you to better understand what music you like. This whole thing is getting so juvenile.

I didn't realize that I shouldnt' vote for myself. I like quite a few of the entries. But didn't we all enter because we wanted to win?

If you want me to feel bad, I do. So now you can feel good. OK?

Just make a different thread about what an idiot I am. We can all go on about how Ron wants to win a free library so bad that he would actually vote for himself. Or worse, that he thinks his composition is as good as ours. (that would be arrogant, too) Why post all that here? (as if I don't know)

This thread is filled with posts from people who want the voting to be different, to put new rules on how many songs you can enter, to only let people who post a lot or enter the contest to vote. Now the suggestion about not voting for yourself has become a rule.

Composers, have faith in yourselves, vote for yourself if you want to. Vote for someone else if you want to. Feel free to do as you would like.

I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy...

Now that I've made an utter and complete fool of myself, I'd like to join in on the "Ron James is an idiot" thread. Will someone please start one?

I don't think I'm allowed to do it myself! :confused:

Liam
06-05-2005, 01:35 AM
Now that I've made an utter and complete fool of myself, I'd like to join in on the "Ron James is an idiot" thread. Will someone please start one?

I have to say I am SOOOO disappointed Ron!! Not because of voting for yourself.........because all this time I thought rJames stood for "Rick James" :D

Sorry, I just had to lighten up the thread a bit ;)

Liam

Evan
06-05-2005, 01:39 AM
if i enetered something that I believed was good I would vote for myself, but didnt cause i dont have a composition that I believed would win. But dont worry Im working on one right now that i will surely enter, and unless lux, Toddk Bernard Asselin, Thomas or alex enter a piece(or any other composer who composes a better piece), then most likely Ill vote for my own piece(oh the shame) :)

Epiano
06-05-2005, 03:08 AM
when I read this tread I consider that no vote for my piece is a great honor ;)
greetings for every participants :)

Waywyn
06-05-2005, 03:45 AM
My wife tells me that if I answer your charge that I will just dig a deeper hole. So here goes

I don't think I'm allowed to do it myself! :confused:

i think your wife was right!

... and to be honest, it is JUST a contest. people win and people loose and i lost a lot of contests, but i am still alive.

also i think (maybe i am just plain stupid) that i would never vote for myself, as it puts not a real good light on me (i somehow believe that would damage my reputation in a way) - it just shows that i want to have something no matter what it takes.

i know that the prize is really cool and a product around 1000 bucks is really damn cool.
but i think it said monthly prize, so if you don't in now, you will win later. maybe you will win now but if you go on and start to show yourself as an idiot other people will turn away. believe me!

since posts read so aggressive i also want to add that my voice is sounding just explainable and calm, not aggressive and loud :)

ChrisBouchard
06-05-2005, 04:06 AM
VOTE:

"A Dream's Tale" (http://clockworker.free.fr/plugins/music/sound/Wickness%20Production%20-%20A%20Dream's%20Tale.mp3) by Clockworker

CeXzer
06-05-2005, 04:40 AM
"The Evil cook's waltz" by Rod

lovelysilence
06-05-2005, 05:48 AM
"A Dream's Tale" by Clockworker, because the fellow has done this incredibly beautiful piece with Silver of all libraries!

By the way, Chris Bouchard, you know how to use your gear, excellent sound and a great piece. The John Williams of the future. You'll get my vote next time, if you keep up that quality, which i don't doubt. I hope you can teach me a few tricks when i buy Gold ;) For now, alas, i want the Silver underdog Clockworker to win this baby, so he can start composing with Gold. Then he'll get to the Chris Bouchard level of realism. You guys excell.
(Were also great : dcoscina, rjames, tango9jeff, FilmComposerZ)
Really disappointing entries of Platinum users. Apparently they don't know how to use it? Too difficult to master maybe or not concerned with any detail as to realism?

tango9jeff
06-05-2005, 07:41 AM
well hey thanks for listening to my peices! I could care less about winning or getting votes, I just hope people can listen to my peices and think there real and maybe feel some type of emotion I'm trying to employ. I spend alot of time editing for more realistic results! Thanks again for the listen!

Jeff

Berserk
06-05-2005, 08:06 AM
I vote a "A Dream's Tale" by Clockworker, i enjoyed the magical feel of it a lot

lovelysilence
06-05-2005, 01:18 PM
well hey thanks for listening to my peices! I could care less about winning or getting votes, I just hope people can listen to my peices and think there real and maybe feel some type of emotion I'm trying to employ. I spend alot of time editing for more realistic results! Thanks again for the listen!

Jeff

Hey Jeff, i found your pieces among the most realistic ones. And you have a good feeling for sound and balance. Really great for soundtracks. Love to hear more from you in the future.

Dark Realms
06-05-2005, 07:26 PM
My vote goes to "Fou Rire" by Kayamb/Julien Phalip - I just can't believe you got this sound from Silver - amazing - well done!

All the best to everyone in the contest!

Mazhar.

Per K
06-06-2005, 02:52 AM
Ron James - Star Trek Underscore

dinosound
06-06-2005, 08:57 AM
"A Dream's Tale" by Clockworker

BrianSzep
06-06-2005, 10:39 AM
"A Dreams Tale" - by Clockworker

ntm
06-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Tough, but my vote goes to

A Dream's Tale by Clockworker

Impressive work, especially for Silver!

christianb
06-06-2005, 11:15 AM
RJames-Fairies

first post-no conspiracy, been signed up for months, just busy:-)
check fairly hearty post count at NS

also rans... Luxes Synapsis
GB whales Mysteries

MkM
06-06-2005, 11:42 AM
moviemaestro - Redemption Part 3

Doug Rogers
06-06-2005, 12:09 PM
This is the last day for voting!!!

- Doug

Beach
06-06-2005, 12:38 PM
My vote to DPK - "The Way Home"

Thanks,
Roberto

Dogforester
06-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Hard to choose there were so many good entries ! But I went for....

RON JAMES, FAIRIES :)

Jerry W.
06-06-2005, 01:52 PM
My vote for MovieMaestro - Redemption Part 3

I love this music!!

Jerry Wickham

lux
06-06-2005, 02:51 PM
my vote goes to Rod, "the evil cook waltz", nice developement and too few votes imho.

Luca

Brian Wardell
06-06-2005, 05:16 PM
"A Dreams Tale" - by Clockworker

moviemaestro
06-06-2005, 08:10 PM
gbwhale

Mysteries

rJames
06-06-2005, 10:12 PM
I deleted my faux pas so I get to cast my vote.

At the risk of having my caddish behavior tarnish the reputation of another composer, I'm going to cast my vote for:
Synapsis composed by Lux

I know that a friend of mine wanted to vote for this one but voted for Fairies after he saw the anti-rJames vote taking off. (Thanks Pi ;) a true lover of the arts and fairplay)

I think its my right to thank those that voted for me, especially after the wrinkle, for they did so at the risk of being tarred and feathered and ran out of town.

My other picks...
Most Creative-DallasComposer: Dream Journey
David-John: Another Sunrise this one just resonates with me. (sorry David-John)
PerK-creative stuff
ChrisBouchard: Montage (I like it all except for the use of choirs)
Drew-couldn't hear your first piece because of bad link but I like the creativity in you drum solo

Pi_314
06-06-2005, 10:59 PM
I know that a friend of mine wanted to vote for this one but voted for Fairies after he saw the anti-rJames vote taking off. (Thanks Pi ;) a true lover of the arts and fairplay)

This only goes to show whats wrong with the contest. I could have played a few notes, and finished my piece with a fart to the mic, had a few friends with an appreciation for my ending and sisboomba! I'm a winner!

One can see how the power of suggestion can swing this thing on a dime also.
You got a shot in the arm with the first post that said about your piece....Brilliant ochestration!

One must balance the scales before weighing in. I thought the scales were off.

I've made some suggestions .... heres another one - List the name of the tune and not the maker. Pass judgement on the tune when voting, and not the tuner.

For surely all our names are tarnished. :D

Overall .... I think the winner is going to be deserving. There was some good stuff made, including yours.

rJames
06-06-2005, 11:40 PM
This only goes to show whats wrong with the contest. I could have played a few notes, and finished my piece with a fart to the mic, had a few friends with an appreciation for my ending and sisboomba! I'm a winner!

One can see how the power of suggestion can swing this thing on a dime also.
You got a shot in the arm with the first post that said about your piece....Brilliant ochestration!

One must balance the scales before weighing in. I thought the scales were off.

I've made some suggestions .... heres another one - List the name of the tune and not the maker. Pass judgement on the tune when voting, and not the tuner.

For surely all our names are tarnished. :D

I suppose these won't be the last posts of this thread. But what a great way to end it.

You and I agree on many points. I don't think it was your place to try to offset Bernard's unsolicited comment.

But it is comforting to see that you own up to your part in this nefarious caper (OK a bit of an exaggeration).

I would like to see the look on the faces right now of all the lemmings that followed you off of this cliff. But they're still thinking that it was their own idea.

Unluckily, there is no way to make a blind comparison. It would be quite easy to PM soneone to tell them which song is yours. Or its numbered if they are nameless compositions.

Only judging by impartial jurors will work. (Not volunteers from the lemming brigade!)(WINNER-worst suggestion of the year)

I'd rather the judging be done by the receptionist at Soundsonline than by the composers.

And another thing. Thanks for the casual comparison of my entry to "a few notes...finished with a fart to the mic." :) That would have saved me a lot of time.

I believe that if the comments had been deleted by a moderator, and that this thread would have been for votes only, it would have been close enough to a fair contest as could be done under the current rules.

Anyone could post that your "fart" is the most awsome display of creativity since John Cage. But I don't think it would fly. the friends are going to vote friends much (not all of the time) because they may very well like the same kind of thing and that draws them together.

You can't fight what people like subjectively. And there will always be a little unethical voting. But with a critical mass, most of that is minimized.

Sorry, one last strike out at you personally... you and a couple others divvied out rules and punishments. Had they not been there, it would have been at least a bit more fair.

And my vote for smartest lemming goes to...you know who you are. (I'm not talking about Pi-I have an inexplicable respect for him.)

Pi_314
06-07-2005, 12:22 AM
I don't think it was your place to try to offset Bernard's unsolicited comment.You got that one right. East West needs to make a purchase of software to run this thing. Probably about $ 200 bucks. :eek:
I would like to see the look on the faces right now of all the lemmings that followed you off of this cliff. But they're still thinking that it was their own idea. They voted for a damn good piece IMO. They just got steered to it. I don't know about you, but I Wasn't about to listen to all the entries, and I think I can speak for most members here. I got steered by those that voted, for some of them listened to them all.
And another thing. Thanks for the casual comparison of my entry to "a few notes...finished with a fart to the mic." That would have saved me a lot of time. Yours didn't smell that bad, actually I thought Rire smelled like a rose, and Dreams Tale smelled like freshly cut grass. Yours smelled like a good oil painting.
I believe that if the comments had been deleted by a moderator, and that this thread would have been for votes only, it would have been close enough to a fair contest as could be done under the current rules. Unfortunately the current rules are not fair.
You can't fight what people like subjectively. And there will always be a little unethical voting. But with a critical mass, most of that is minimized. Yep (Critical Mass) ... A suggestion was made to alleviate this. I am doubtful the suggestion will come to pass.
Sorry, one last strike out at you personally... you and a couple others divvied out rules and punishments. Had they not been there, it would have been at least a bit more fair. Fair? Not possible under the rules. I think it ended more balanced than when it started though.

neoTypic
06-07-2005, 12:34 AM
I abstained from voting this time a round for a number of reasons. I did however listen to the vast majority of those submitted, and there is a lot of great work.

Bravo to all those that submitted pieces. :)

lovelysilence
06-07-2005, 01:34 AM
I Wasn't about to listen to all the entries, and I think I can speak for most members here..

Then it's no use voting, is it? That way, you'll never know who's made the best piece to your taste.

lil-man
06-07-2005, 06:34 AM
I thought this was the voting thread(?) :confused:

Journeyman
06-07-2005, 07:36 AM
My Vote:

rJames - 'Fairies'

Robert H. Weston II
06-07-2005, 07:48 AM
moviemaestro Redemption Part 3

Pi_314
06-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Then it's no use voting, is it? That way, you'll never know who's made the best piece to your taste.I'm not a hundred percent sure about the best piece, but feel good about the outcome through my vote and others who made their vote known. Their parcipitation is paramount you know. For those that do not participate .........You have nothing to complain about.

rJames
06-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Pi, you changed your vote from Fou Rire to Dream's Tale. And you voted twice.

drew
06-07-2005, 08:48 AM
I don't know about you, but I Wasn't about to listen to all the entries, and I think I can speak for most members here. I got steered by those that voted, for some of them listened to them all.

Please, don't even begin to think you speak for most of the members. How do you know? I listened to them all, some more than once. I wouldn't have voted if I didn't listen to all of them. That would be unfair to the contest and contestants.

Another thing, this isn't a composition contest or deciding which is the best piece - there were a lot of good ones. We are voting on behalf of EW and their products, and which piece made best use of those libraries and would be something they would want to use to help sell more of those products. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

Doug Rogers
06-07-2005, 09:42 AM

Where is his second vote - I don't see it?

- Doug

Doug Rogers
06-07-2005, 09:49 AM
I think voting should only be limited to those who entered. IMO. And obviously the rule is you cannot vote for yourself.

What do you think about this? We were hoping it could be more open, but we also recognize voting can be rigged witn new members.

A slight variation could be -

(1) You can only vote if you entered, and cannot vote for yourself, or

(2) You must have been a forum member for one month or more and have at least 10 posts.

Let me know what you think - we want this to be fair.

- Doug

ntm
06-07-2005, 09:55 AM
What do you think about this? We were hoping it could be more open, but we also recognize voting can be rigged witn new members.

(2) You must have been a forum member for one month or more and have at least 10 posts.

- Doug

Considering all the childishness going on and possibilities of cheating going on, I say BOTH 1 and 2. But if only one can be adopted, then I would say 1.

ChrisE
06-07-2005, 10:03 AM

- Doug

When registering your product with NI you have to give them your email address, could those email addresses be cross-referenced with the email addresses of the users of these forums?

This idea is probably a real pain, but if only registered users could enter (and they are, or should be), then there should be little problem

rJames
06-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Where is his second vote - I don't see it?

- Doug

post #14 was his vote for Fou Rire that he changed. And #46 seems to be a vote for Dreams Tale.

He says he's changing his vote and then names Dreams Tale.

Its not important at this time anyway. Shouldn't have mentioned it.

drew
06-07-2005, 10:28 AM

- Doug

I'm in favor of (2). I don't think you should have to enter to vote, and if you vote for yourself, well, we've seen how unpopular that is.

Also, voters should agree to listen to all of the entries, although I realize there is no way to enforce this.

ntm
06-07-2005, 10:36 AM
While doug is soliciting advice, if I may, how about 1 entry per contestant. This would help focus the contest more.

legofred
06-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Both 1 and 2.

EDIT: I have listened to all the entries, except a couple of inaccessible files. Much great music but it was a little boring to listen to all at once, which could be the reason why I'm now unable to pick out one single one. :confused:

awpmusic
06-07-2005, 10:58 AM
ToddK - Jungle Groove

rJames
06-07-2005, 11:51 AM
In my opinion number of posts should have nothing to do with it. Member for a month would catch "fake" votes.

Some people are lurkers, some people don't have time to hang around forums. I don't see why they should be left out.

Unless you want to make it a bit like an exclusive club, then I think number of posts is quite pertainent. (and you may want to do that, I don't know)

Yes, please make it "no voting for yourself" that would stop some naive people from making a greiveous blunder.

And how about, the voting thread is for voting? The entry thread is for entries.

If you make it one entry each (which is just fine) then no one will post until the last second making it more likely that voters will not hear the entries.

Don't worry about me sending in too many entries, this is my LAST contest judged by the "people."

dinosound
06-07-2005, 12:29 PM
I would say 1 & 2, Doug. I guess that means I'll have to stop lurking and posting more.

Also, and I don't know if anyone else feels this way but it would be nice if the links to the mp3 files worked directly. That is to say that you shouldn't have to navigate to another page and search through a list for the entered tune. It'll make things quicker and easier to listen to which will hopefully make people more likely to listen to all entries, especially since next time around I am sure there'll be more entries than this time (which was around75 entries?)

What do you think?
D.

lovelysilence
06-07-2005, 01:22 PM
You could say you need the experience of working with EWQLSO in order to vote, and make it only for registered users. I'd understand that. But i would also be a little sad , cause that would exclude me, a young lad with many plans, who surfs the soundsonline site to listen to the demos nearly every day. I plan to buy my first library in the summer or fall, but as long as i've not bought one, to me that doesn't mean i'm not capable of judging which demos sound good, have good ideas, and use the library so well, that it sound convincingly real.
Of course, it's up to you, and i will respect any decision made by the moderators.

drew
06-07-2005, 01:35 PM
You could say you need the experience of working with EWQLSO in order to vote, and make it only for registered users. I'd understand that. But i would also be a little sad , cause that would exclude me, a young lad with many plans, who surfs the soundsonline site to listen to the demos nearly every day. I plan to buy my first library in the summer or fall, but as long as i've not bought one, to me that doesn't mean i'm not capable of judging which demos sound good, have good ideas, and use the library so well, that it sound convincingly real.
Of course, it's up to you, and i will respect any decision made by the moderators.

I agree. I probably will never enter the contest again, but I like to listen and vote. Wouldn't be much point to listening to all the entries if I can't vote on them.

JanElster
06-07-2005, 02:26 PM
I vote for "Fou Rire".

@Doug: The Combination of 1 & 2 seems to be the best decision AND please restrict the number of possible entries to 1 per participant.

christianb
06-07-2005, 02:53 PM
I say nay to #1 and yea to #2 doug.

christianb

in either case... thanks for the contests. Very Gracious. Hope they continue.

Brian Wardell
06-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Well, I think I'm for number 2, it will at least stop those who don't want to take the time and effort to plan ahead. I'm not sure about 1 though. I'd like to think that some of the folks who frequent the forums but may not have an entry for that month, would still be able to participate. I think that's more a community attitude. I'm not against it either totally, though.. I guess I'm just not sure what side to come down on, community involvement or whatever you'd call the other side. I just hope that the contest continues and we can all just have some fun with it. I know I had, ultimately, a good time listening to all of the entries, and seeing what everyone was doing.

As far as no voting for yourself, I'm not against the practice of doing this, personally. However I think that having a rule like that would help in case far too many people start voting for themselves, and it comes down to one or two people who don't deciding the whole thing. Is that likely? I don't know, but it's a possability in my opinion. In the end, I think entering your piece is good enough to be counted as "your vote for yourself". I think the rule will help diversify the vote, and force others to analyze other people pieces more, rather than just entering and voting for themselves and moving on. Just a thought though.

Kayamb
06-07-2005, 06:04 PM
I think that before wondering about who's qualified to vote or not, we should define what is the aim of this contest...

Do we have to vote for the best performance out of certain libraries, that is, exploring the range of possibilities, so that it would be a good demo for EW then? In this case, maybe actual users of these libraries are the best to assess, as they know better how hard was the performance to achieve.

Otherwise, if we have to vote for the piece we think is the best, in a totally subjective way, say the most emotional for instance. Well, in this case no one should be excluded, that is, nor non-users nor non-contesters.

Voting for oneself? Politics vote for themselves of course, but here I think it's not very nice to do so. If everyone was doing the same, each entry would get 1 vote, and this contest would be so boring. If you are so confident about your own entry, you just guess that others will vote for it. If your the only one to vote for it... what a pity in the end...

That's why I think we shouldn't be allowed to vote for our own entries.

Is this contest just about winning a few hundred dollars? If that's the case for anyone, I'd feel very sad. To me it's more about stimulating our creativity, and motivate us to improve our skills... just a thought, just a thought.

This contest, like any other contest, will never be perfect nor totally fair, but I'm sure it'll keep improving if everybody keeps raising ideas every month.

Cheers.

Julien

Pi_314
06-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Yep ..... I changed my vote from Fou Rire to a Dreams Tale. There is nothing in the rules that says I cannot change my vote before the deadline. I gave a listen to Dreams Tale after seeing a few votes for it, and I liked it a lot. Like I said ..... it smells like fresh cut grass. Seems appropriate for spring. :)

And I did no such thing as vote twice. In your case I suggest you read more carefully - Your emotions are making you see things.

drew
06-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Yep ..... I changed my vote from Fou Rire to a Dreams Tale. There is nothing in the rules that says I cannot change my vote before the deadline. I gave a listen to Dreams Tale after seeing a few votes for it, and I liked it a lot. Like I said ..... it smells like fresh cut grass. Seems appropriate for spring. :)

And I did no such thing as vote twice. In your case I suggest you read more carefully - Your emotions are making you see things.

Doug - perhaps another rule should be that a vote is fixed and final - this would prevent the problem from those that only listen to entries that have been voted on, as evidenced above.

Brian Wardell
06-07-2005, 06:34 PM
How would that prevent a problem of people not listening to the songs? If anything allowing for a vote change would allow you to vote for the one that you currently think is best, but then as you listen to more you may find one that you think is better, right? Of course one of the reasons I waited until the end to vote was so I could download the songs and give them a listen several times. I don't think not being able to change a vote is going to stop people from not listening to everything. If anything it just ties them to an uninformed vote permanently, which is what the percieved problem is in the first place, right? At least that's how I'm seeing it. Am I wrong?

Kayamb
06-07-2005, 06:34 PM
What about "blind" voting, like in any other election?

For example we could simply send an email with our vote, and would only figure out the results in the end.

christianb
06-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Pi... The post RJ is referring to is 46, and I can see the point. Despite your poetic flourish, the person tallying up the votes at the end could well misconstrue that as a vote, having seen that cue title come up again and again. I don't picture a scenario where whoever it is would be cross-referencing members to votes. Now... had the one single, simple instruction of Doug's that this was a thread for 'votes only' not been repeatedly ignored it would not have been an issue I'm sure. However paranoid and ludicrous at times... good drama. But it all should have been promptly deleted or moved to the other thread.

As far as voting for yourself goes, it occurred to me that if it were a blind vote a possible 70-80 % of contestants would vote for themselves. :-) societal conventions make us feel abashed to do such an outlandish thing I have gathered. :-) But keep in mind that in the worldwide melting pot we have here... cultural differences abound.

Oh and by the way.... who won this frigging thing already??

To you ... congrats and enjoy whatever slice of sample heaven you opt for.

christianb

drew
06-07-2005, 06:56 PM
How would that prevent a problem of people not listening to the songs? If anything allowing for a vote change would allow you to vote for the one that you currently think is best, but then as you listen to more you may find one that you think is better, right? Of course one of the reasons I waited until the end to vote was so I could download the songs and give them a listen several times. I don't think not being able to change a vote is going to stop people from not listening to everything. If anything it just ties them to an uninformed vote permanently, which is what the percieved problem is in the first place, right? At least that's how I'm seeing it. Am I wrong?

No, you are not wrong. But, I think it is totally irresponsible to vote before all the entries are in and perhaps the 'voting thread' should not be opened until then. My point is, if you are not going to listen to all of the entries, then don't vote. Isn't this really obvious?

Brian Wardell
06-07-2005, 07:31 PM
I agree that you should at least make an effort to listen to all of them, but some people just aren't going to. There isn't a way to only have those who have listened to all of the songs, vote. At least I don't see one. I believe that you should also not vote until you are sure which one you want, but for those who can't or won't listen to them all they just won't know. Perhaps they should wait, but it's just not going to happen. Not a perfect world I guess. I agree with your principle but don't think it will really help solve the problem.

Pi_314
06-07-2005, 07:33 PM

- Doug

Number one is worse than the current situation. This would reduce the number of votes available, such that a group of friends enter, by which they vote for one in the group. Next month somebody else in the group wins. Don't think it will happen? Also I see no reason to exclude what will likely be the majority of members.
Or ... maybe I'll enter just so I can vote. Trust me - You don't want to hear my stuff! :D
I wasn't entered and I found the contest fun regardless of it being fair or not.

Number 2 solves nothing at all. Think about it.

I put in a suggestion on another thread. Perhaps you didn't read the thread. Heres my take.

First you need to get some software that will do all the work for you. Heres a link to the Absynth site where members can submit some presets ( the equivalent of a song).

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?id=absynthuserlib_us&type=0&ulbr=1&plview=list&filt=98

Members can download them and in the case of this contest, members can listen to the submitted tune. Members have the option of voting on these presets (tunes in East West case) on a scale from one to ten. Of course all members can only vote once per tune, such that if ten members vote and the total is say 65 .... the average is a 6.5 rating. You will notice the list can be sorted. New entries can be listed for ease of use for potential voters.

A little more detail here - Those that submit their tune must have their submission entered by the twentyfirst (three weeks). The reason for this is for those that submit late in the submission process. They are given the rest of the month by which they can garner votes, because their needs to be a rule that all submissions must have been voted on a stated number of times to be accepted. Some kind of track record is needed to establish the tunes worth.

This process is not to pick the overall winner. It is to pick the top three, or five, or ten. I think three would be sufficent. Those top three are up for a new round of voting on the first of the month, by which any member can vote once more. You could allow only one vote for one tune, vote on all three on a scale from one to ten, whatever you choose..... parcipitation should be fairly high because listening to three submissions is not that big a deal. Highest average, or highest vote count between the three becomes the winner after say 7 days of voting.

Submissions should be anonymous for obvious reasons.
Voting will be anonymous because thats how the software works. East West may see how people voted, but members see nothing in that regard.

This method although not perfect can serve to weed out deception. One could make it to the finals on fraud, but have a tough time winning without showing up on radar.
This method makes it easy to vote, because you can vote while you are listening. You can show up at your leisure to listen and vote. You could skip the initial vote and cast at your pleasure on the final vote. Whatever you do with your vote is fine, which make participation more compelling.

Pi_314
06-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Pi... The post RJ is referring to is 46, and I can see the point. Despite your poetic flourish, the person tallying up the votes at the end could well misconstrue that as a vote, having seen that cue title come up again and again. I don't picture a scenario where whoever it is would be cross-referencing members to votes.
Those on the tally should not misinterpret that post
1.The first post of this thread states to name the track AND COMPOSER. I did not name the composer.
2. The sentence before that point RJ eluded to.... says I was (THINKING) I repeat (THINKING) of changing my vote. If this is misconstrued - It most certainly would not be my fault.

Just to make a statement - I had no intention of sneaking in a vote. Believe me!!! that it was not the purpose of the post. The purpose was stated by me elsewhere.

Pi_314
06-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Pi_314
Yep ..... I changed my vote from Fou Rire to a Dreams Tale. There is nothing in the rules that says I cannot change my vote before the deadline. I gave a listen to Dreams Tale after seeing a few votes for it, and I liked it a lot. Like I said ..... it smells like fresh cut grass. Seems appropriate for spring.

Doug - perhaps another rule should be that a vote is fixed and final - this would prevent the problem from those that only listen to entries that have been voted on, as evidenced above.

I agree - read post 108

drew
06-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Number one is worse than the current situation. This would reduce the number of votes available, such that a group of friends enter, by which they vote for one in the group. Next month somebody else in the group wins. Don't think it will happen? Also I see no reason to exclude what will likely be the majority of members.
Or ... maybe I'll enter just so I can vote. Trust me - You don't want to hear my stuff! :D
I wasn't entered and I found the contest fun regardless of it being fair or not.

Number 2 solves nothing at all. Think about it.

I put in a suggestion on another thread. Perhaps you didn't read the thread. Heres my take.

First you need to get some software that will do all the work for you. Heres a link to the Absynth site where members can submit some presets ( the equivalent of a song).

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?id=absynthuserlib_us&type=0&ulbr=1&plview=list&filt=98

Members can download them and in the case of this contest, members can listen to the submitted tune. Members have the option of voting on these presets (tunes in East West case) on a scale from one to ten. Of course all members can only vote once per tune, such that if ten members vote and the total is say 65 .... the average is a 6.5 rating. You will notice the list can be sorted. New entries can be listed for ease of use for potential voters.

A little more detail here - Those that submit their tune must have their submission entered by the twentyfirst (three weeks). The reason for this is for those that submit late in the submission process. They are given the rest of the month by which they can garner votes, because their needs to be a rule that all submissions must have been voted on a stated number of times to be accepted.

This process is not to pick the overall winner. It is to pick the top three, or five, or ten. I think three would be sufficent. Those top three are up for a new round of voting on the first of the month, by which any member can vote once more. You could allow only one vote for one tune, vote on all three on a scale from one to ten, whatever you choose..... parcipitation should be fairly high because listening to three submissions is not that big a deal. Highest average, or highest vote count between the three becomes the winner after say 7 days of voting.

Submissions should be anonymous for obvious reasons.

This method although not perfect can serve to weed out deception. One could make it to the finals on fraud, but have a tough time winning without showing up on radar.
This method makes it easy to vote, because you can vote while you are listening. You can show up at your leisure to listen and vote. You could skip the initial vote and cast at your pleasure on the final vote. Whatever you do with your vote is fine, which make participation more compelling.

Wow! This is really getting out of hand! Is this contest that big a deal that we need such complexity? I've got better things to do with my time.

Pi_314
06-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Wow! This is really getting out of hand! Is this contest that big a deal that we need such complexity? I've got better things to do with my time.

Now yer just being a jackass. All this coming from someone who said he listened to every entry. :D {Talk about big deal!} If you have the time to listen to every tune ... Why would it be a big deal for you to rate them? The software makes it easier for East west in that it's all taken care of by the puter once it's setup. Do you think that the people at the Absynth site are working on the preset list 24 hours a day? Hardly ... the software takes care of itself for the most part. Do you think the users can't navigate web pages, click their mouse to hear something, and then click something else to vote? . Noone has to vote ... it's your option. Everything is listed on a page or two rather than over 100 post.
The computer handles all the complexity.... you do the easy part (vote at your discretion). If you've ever played any computer games, surely you have noticed it's like you are being herded as in cattle while you navigate the game. Some decent software for listening and voting will point you in the right direction. There is nothing byzantine about this. There are but a few rules , and most of those have to do with submission dates. Are these hard to understand?

Why is it that people can't put two and two together?

Are all musicians and composers high as a kite?
Geeez! pass me a duby!
I like having my mind mush at least once year.

ToddK
06-07-2005, 11:47 PM
In the time you've all wasted typing in this thread, i've finished
several pieces. :D

Just a little invitation back to reality. I hope you accept.. :)

Kayamb
06-07-2005, 11:56 PM
Thx Todd ;)

Looking forward to listening to your new pieces :D

Liam
06-08-2005, 01:05 AM

- Doug

Doug,

Regarding your suggestions, my opinion would be:

(1) Anyone can vote, but not for yourself.

(2) You must have been a forum member for two months or more and have at least 20 posts.
(I think the second one should be increased like that to avoid problems in future contests)

(3) I still think that we should be able to post the same demo again the next month, incase it was overlooked the previous month, it would be a shame to exclude a great piece.

On a lighter note, thank you for the opportunity for a chance at winning a very generous prize. I think EWQL has become known for your generosity and accessability, and Doug I can see you have taken any negativity that has happened during this first run of the contest very proffesionally and patiently while the kinks are being worked out. Thanks for that! :D

Liam

Doug Rogers
06-08-2005, 07:49 AM
It seems we have a tie between rjames "Fairies" and clockworker "A Dreams Tale" - so we need a runoff. This will be limited to those that have voted so far and will end June 10. So those that have voted in the contest please vote for either one, and "please" no other comments - just your choice between these two.

- Doug

p.s. you might like to check my totals also - both got 8 votes according to my tally of the votes.

Liam
06-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Clockworker - A Dreams Tale

awpmusic
06-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Clockworker - A Dream's Tale

moviemaestro
06-08-2005, 08:42 AM

Brian Wardell
06-08-2005, 08:44 AM

lux
06-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Rjames "Fairies"

drew
06-08-2005, 08:53 AM
rjames - fairies

Craig Sharmat
06-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Ron James...Fairies

Bernard Asselin
06-08-2005, 09:08 AM
rjames - fairies

christianb
06-08-2005, 09:09 AM
RJames -Fairies

lovelysilence
06-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Clockworker - Dream's Tale

AndyFinkenstadt
06-08-2005, 09:23 AM
INFORMATION MESSAGE, not a vote:

Clockworker - A Dream's Tale (http://clockworker.free.fr/plugins/music/sound/Wickness%20Production%20-%20A%20Dream's%20Tale.mp3)

and

RJames - Fairies (http://www.digitmusic.net/music/Fairies.mp3)

AndyFinkenstadt
06-08-2005, 09:25 AM
rJames - Fairies.

Frederick
06-08-2005, 09:33 AM
rJames - Fairies

lil-man
06-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Rjames "Fairies"

Oneilio
06-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Rjames Fairies

dinosound
06-08-2005, 11:21 AM
A Dream's Tale

ChrisE
06-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Rjames Fairies

Dogforester
06-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Rjames Fairies

guy theaker
06-08-2005, 05:48 PM
rJames - Fairies

ntm
06-08-2005, 06:18 PM
A Dream's Tale by Clockworker

Kayamb
06-08-2005, 07:41 PM
A Dream's Tale - by Clockworker

Randall
06-09-2005, 04:52 AM
Wow, I was listening to all the contest music for several times and missed my vote.
I would vote for michael Jornst Sorrow/Aftermath but it wouldnt take a difference,
So my vote goes to:

Clockworker - Dreams Tale

Good luck

IvanP
06-09-2005, 05:54 AM
RJames's Fairies

Berserk
06-09-2005, 04:23 PM
A Dream's Tale - by Clockworker

cecgwen
06-10-2005, 12:57 AM
rJames - Fairies

(but i think a dream's tale was excellent too)

MakeANote
06-10-2005, 04:15 AM
rJames - Fairies
Thanks

JanElster
06-10-2005, 06:11 AM
RJames - Fairies

lgrohn
06-10-2005, 06:47 AM
Wake up folks. "Fairies" is not even a piece, but a fragment of a piece.
And the orchestration is copied from classic pieces.
EwQL libraries are great, but that piece is missuse of the libraries
and the competition. What a pity...

Bernard Asselin
06-10-2005, 07:15 AM

This post was generated from a underwear picture in five seconds !

Sorry ! I can't resist ! ;)

Doug Rogers
06-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Congratulations to Ron James for winning the first EW/SOL monthly contest. Ron, please send me a PM with your choice of product and shipping address.

Clockworker, contact me also, we will give you either Stormdrum or Percussive Adventures 2 as a runner up prize since the contest was so close.

The June contest is underway!

- Doug

Craig Sharmat
06-10-2005, 09:06 AM

First Ron....congrats!!

and Clockworker too

Thanks doug for doing a cool thing awarding a 2nd prize...classy

As far as the above comment is concerned, Ron after some investigation you may take this as a compliment.

Waywyn
06-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Gratz Ron for winning this cool contest.

... and also gratz to Clockworker for 2nd place.

however just to justifiy myself a little bit about my first post in this thread. I didn't mean to blame somebody, i just ment that we maybe should take care about certain situations in a contest and it just seemed that some people registered at this forum to just vote. I didn't mean that it HAPPEND, it just looked like.

Nobody was ment to be personally blamed ... peace!

Doug Rogers
06-10-2005, 09:19 AM
I didn't mean to blame somebody, i just ment that we maybe should take care about certain situations in a contest and it just seemed that some people registered at this forum to just vote

You will see we have amended the rules to try and avoid this. You need to be either registered for 2 months or you have an entry in the contest to vote.

- Doug

Waywyn
06-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi Doug,

i think i expressed myself slightly wrong, i just wanted to say "... it was good to take care about certain situations in a contest ..." :)

Frederick
06-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Well done Ron! Congratulations to you both.

Actually I got the skinny that this was created using the data from a panoramic picture of the rare mating ritual of lightning bugs. Creative, huh? :)

Clearly Ron you should take Igrohn's comments as a compliment ;)

christianb
06-10-2005, 09:58 AM

WTF
I have seen some mean spirited comments on these forums before, but that one is just plain uncalled for. What? Did Ron kill your cat or something ?? Having an opinion is one thing but this...
Misuse of libraries.... hmmmm.... interesting.

christianb

lgrohn
06-10-2005, 10:32 AM
I guess you didn't listen to that piece. There is a message in it. LG

PS.
John Williams was one of the greatest cliche writers. It is a pity that so many youngsters are following his cliche conveyer belt mass production line. The winner couldn't reach even that level. And remember: the best film music ever was stolen music. Stolen from Ligeti by Kubrick ...

ToddK
06-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Dont you have anything better to do than down people who are
trying to just learn and have fun with samples?

You should maybe try getting a life. The music from pictures buisness is
quite horrible btw.
I'd rather hear JW's cliche's anyday.

TK

awpmusic
06-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Congratulations to both winners - enjoy the prizes! :)

lgrohn
06-10-2005, 11:06 AM
The music from pictures buisness is quite horrible btw.I'd rather hear JW's cliche's anyday.
Fine. How many Synestesia pieces you have listened? How many genres you have identified?
PS. Just making market research...

lil-man
06-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Congrats to both of you! And pats on the back to all the entrants for making it through the first contest without killing one another!

Good Job!

Clockworker
06-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Woa.. i'm surprise myself!

Thank you a lot for voting me! :)

Rjames! you have win! so, i beg for your honor! Congratulations! :)

Scott Rogers
06-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Congratulations to the winnners, and to all who put serious effort into their pieces. They were each successful in their own way, because you always learn something when you compose, orchestrate, and "midify".

I wish I could've participated in the voting, but hadn't the time to listen to even half of all the entrants, and everyone deserves a fair hearing.

Anyway, well done!

Berserk
06-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Congratulations to the winnners ! Very generous of EW to run this contest , well done to all

lux
06-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Congrats Ron and Glockworker.

yeah...classy choice, Doug

Luca

IvanP
06-10-2005, 02:34 PM
. And remember: the best film music ever was stolen music. Stolen from Ligeti by Kubrick ...

????

Mmm It is clearly stated that Ligeti wrote the cues...

Mozart's music was stolen then in Amadeus, too... I guess.... stolen from Mozart by Forman.

Bernard Asselin
06-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Congrats guys!

I guess you didn't listen to that piece. There is a message in it. LG.
Yes... before my previous comment !

Regards!

Bernard

moviemaestro
06-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Congratulations to you both :)

I'm anxiously awaiting the new pieces that you're able to create with your new prizes :)

Kayamb
06-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Congratulations to the winners and all the participants.

Despite the so-called controversy, this first contest was a success. Thanks Doug and all for organizing that, it greatly stimulates our motivation and creativity.

Good luck to all in the future contests!

Cheers,

Julien

tango9jeff
06-10-2005, 08:39 PM
congrats to the winner! and runner up! nice job guys!

Jeff

Liam
06-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Congrats to both of you! As was said that was a VERY nice surprise for 2nd place from Doug and Nick! :D I have to say even though there was alot of negativity and controversy, you have to admit it probably made us all curious each day what the latest drama would be. :rolleyes: I just look at it a good drama entertaiment ;) (accept for the personal attacks of course) Having said that, I hope it is all out of everyones system, and lets just have fun with it this month!!

Congrats again!!! :D

lgrohn
06-10-2005, 10:11 PM
????Mmm It is clearly stated that Ligeti wrote the cues...
Kubrick used over 20 minutes of music by Ligeti without asking permission or without paying for it (Space 2001). Without that music that film would have been forgotten long time ago.

Evan
06-11-2005, 02:09 AM

i made a mess in my underwear after reading this..Im sorry but that was way too funny, or maybe its just too late :D

neoTypic
06-11-2005, 05:05 AM

*snerk* Point, set, match. ;)

Congrats to you both. :)

lovelysilence
06-11-2005, 06:01 AM
Congratulations Ron and Clockworker, and also all the participants. I liked listening to all the demos (though i was a bit tired afterwards). I hope this contest will provide an interaction base for all East West users to learn these products to the highest (in my opinion, most realistic) level.
Did i read the new JW Star Wars score was made with EWQLSO or was that just a rumour? The Revenge of the Sith OST sounds a lot like the EWQLSO demos. (I got this impression listening to the Chris Bouchard entry.)
Thus, with so many participating, everyone has won. I will know what to expect when i buy Gold, soon. Hurray.

Evan
06-11-2005, 06:08 AM
yeah that was an april fools joke at NS if i remember..i dont hink JW will ever use samples to compose, pen/paper/piano for him

lovelysilence
06-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Me neither, but George Lucas allegedly said in an 'interview' that JW would have consented in trying the score on computer, when an engineer of the team showed them the possibilities of EWQLSO. I was hoping it was true, and it kind of struck me listening to Chris Bouchard's entry, made with just Gold, which resembles the sound of the Revenge of the Sith OST so much, that maybe a thorough programming of Platinum would make it possible. I don't know. The only thing one would need to add is coughing musicians and shuffling instruments. :)

dcoscina
06-12-2005, 09:45 AM
yeah that was an april fools joke at NS if i remember..i dont hink JW will ever use samples to compose, pen/paper/piano for him

Yeah that was my inspired bit of lunacy for April Fools when I was still posting at NSS. I cannot believe that so many people actually fell for that. The day Williams uses samples is the day that he has been replaced by an alien from another planet (or Media Ventures). :D

Waywyn
06-12-2005, 09:47 AM
sorry to say, but then he was already replaced by aliens because you hear stormdrum in the upcoming score for "war of the worlds".

... and i am defnitely and 100% sure it is the thunder ensemble.

dcoscina
06-12-2005, 09:51 AM
You will see we have amended the rules to try and avoid this. You need to be either registered for 2 months or you have an entry in the contest to vote.

- Doug

Good call. And I second the class act by awarding two prizes for the finalists. That was very nice. :cool:

dcoscina
06-12-2005, 09:54 AM
sorry to say, but then he was already replaced by aliens because you hear stormdrum in the upcoming score for "war of the worlds".

... and i am defnitely and 100% sure it is the thunder ensemble.

Have you actually heard cues from the score. Aside from a couple soundtrack websites that got the CD early, most of Williams' music has yet to be heard in trailers or whatnot.

And I should ammend my statement- when Williams moves to replacing the entire orchestra with samples, then we know he's been abducted.

A couple examples where he's used synths in his scores for textural adjuncts are:

A.I.
Heartbeeps
JFK
Stepmom
Minority Report
Home Alone (awful use of a drum machine)
Sleepers (good use of a drum machine)

etc.

Waywyn
06-12-2005, 09:58 AM
yeh you are right, jw is using synths for a long time and i know that you was talking about replacing the whole orchestra with sample.

i just felt like adding this because before he was using more synths and sounds and not really samplelibraries. i know that there is not really much difference because synths are also kind of samples, but you know what i mean :)

lovelysilence
06-12-2005, 12:27 PM
dcoscina, i understand what you're saying. A listen to the latest Star Wars III OST proves two tracks on which they have used samples and synths for texturing.
1. 'Palpatines Teachings' has got 'overtoning' monks in it. Can't believe they recorded that, cause it sounds too looped, not at all Tibetan or so.
2. 'Padmes ruminations' has got a drone, a synth, some ethnic flute and a female vocalist.

I agree it's mostly all symphonic with JW, like the Indiana Jones OST, though a few exceptions here.