PDA

View Full Version : Emerging Composer

StringTunes
10-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Greetings Everyone!

I am an emerging Composer of instrumental music for the stringed instruments. I play the Classical and Acoustic Guitar as my instrument of choice.

I purchased the EWQLPO Gold Pro Bundle a couple of months ago and have been overjoyed with the quality of the sound samples. The top 20 compositions on my website, www.stringtunes.com, use these sounds. Please stop by if you are so inclined. If you do, please sign my guestbook as comments are always welcomed.

Hopefully I will be able to contribute to this forum too. For over 30 years of playing the guitar and over ten composing I think I might be able to offer something of value. Please feel free to write me at your convenience.

Make Music!

fongi
10-08-2006, 03:38 AM
Hi Don and welcome here ! I listened to you music you have some really nice titles. As you´ve got the bundle you´ve got all the articulations you need although your strings seem to sound exclusivly legato which is a great pity. Keep up the good work ! Chris :D

StringTunes
10-08-2006, 07:52 AM
First, thank you for the welcome and comments. I am looking forward to learning more on how to use several programs to improve my skills on using them. I keep amending the songs all of the time.

I just purchased the WaveLab 6 from Steinberg and the Orchestral Chiors from East West too. I think I have all I need to now focus on mastering the programs in order to produce the best arrangement and sound for each piece. This is a huge project. Time is the major limiting factor. I'll keep plugging away.

Again, thanks for your input.

Highest Regards,

Nash
10-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Welcome :D I can see that you have notation knowledge which is very useful especially when you are into composing. I will listen to your demo music shortly.

StringTunes
10-09-2006, 05:02 AM
Hi Nash,

Yes, I learned formal music notation a long time ago and it works out pretty cool for me to compose using notation, then to simply import the piece into CuBase, then to assign the instruments. It's much easier for me to do it this then to input using a midi controller, however, I use that sometimes to get specific sounds and/or passages into the digital formats. Actually, all of my music is notated.

One of the things I do for other composers is to import there midi files into Sibelius to create the notation for them. It always needs to be edited as many synth sounds do not have formal notation symbols in the program so they need to be written in. I use the GPO for Sibelius sounds for playback. Once the notation is done it can be exported into other programs including MS Word and PDF. It's actually pretty easy and pretty cool at the same time.

Nash
10-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Hi Nash,

Yes, I learned formal music notation a long time ago and it works out pretty cool for me to compose using notation, then to simply import the piece into CuBase, then to assign the instruments. It's much easier for me to do it this then to input using a midi controller, however, I use that sometimes to get specific sounds and/or passages into the digital formats. Actually, all of my music is notated.

One of the things I do for other composers is to import there midi files into Sibelius to create the notation for them. It always needs to be edited as many synth sounds do not have formal notation symbols in the program so they need to be written in. I use the GPO for Sibelius sounds for playback. Once the notation is done it can be exported into other programs including MS Word and PDF. It's actually pretty easy and pretty cool at the same time.

That sounds great. I can not read notation therefore I play by ear in cubase SX3:D

StringTunes
10-10-2006, 05:06 AM
For me notation has given me a broader understanding of how music is created as well as a more thorough understanding of music theory. Playing by ear is a pretty cool way to develop a new song/composition. I do that for initially creating a piece for the guitar. Afterwards I "tweak" the work and add the orchestrations if that is what I'm after.

If you are interested in learning notation there are several notation programs for Mac and PC out there that are fairly easy to learn. I started with a program called Rhapsody from Passport Designs. It is currently not available anymore. I "graduated" to Sibelius and have used it ever since. I like the intuitive playback available through the live sound feature as well as the ease of use for a high end notation program. Finale is the other high end program and it offers several things not available in Sibelius but I found Finale to be a lot more difficult to use. The industry at large is in a conflict over which is better. I guess it is a matter of personal taste and exposure/availability. There are a lot of less costly programs out there, including "freebies" off the Internet. So if you decide to pursue this avenue to support your ear playing it needn't cost you an are and a leg to begin. If you are satisfied with using the ear only, than that is cool as many artists/composers never have learned to use notation. Again, a matter of personal interest and aural trnslation skills.

What is your instrument(s) of choice?

Regards,

Nash
10-10-2006, 07:39 AM
What is your instrument(s) of choice?

Regards,

My favorite is Piano. But funny thing about it is when I started to use EW Orchestral instruments, didn’t use much Piano sound. I think that’s because I like action soundtracks therefore it is not very much used in action parts. Of course there are lots of action soundtracks with piano sounds as well but I didn’t use it much. Maybe I should in my next project.:)

StringTunes
10-10-2006, 07:00 PM
The same thing happened to me with the Guitar as happened to you with the Piano. Writing for String Quartets and Quintets is entirely different than for the Guitar as a solo instrument. I do use the Guitar in many of my pieces but only as an added "flavor" if you will.

Do keep in touch!

Nash
10-10-2006, 09:40 PM
The same thing happened to me with the Guitar as happened to you with the Piano. Writing for String Quartets and Quintets is entirely different than for the Guitar as a solo instrument. I do use the Guitar in many of my pieces but only as an added "flavor" if you will.

Do keep in touch!

Thanks, good talk to you!