PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Is it a song?

Brian Wardell
06-06-2005, 05:10 AM
Ok, so I'm working on a song and it sounds familiar, but I can't place it. A couple people heard it and thought it sounded familiar as well, but they couldn't place it either. If you've got the time could you take a listen and let me know if I'm totally nuts or somthing?

What is this song? (http://home.comcast.net/~emeraldedge1/Whatisthissong.mp3)

Thanks. Just wondering if its even worth continuing work on it.

AndyFinkenstadt
06-06-2005, 06:42 AM
It sounds like something you'd hear on GROUND FORCE on the cable channel BBCA or locally in the UK. At 2:20ff it sounded vaguely like a theme from one of those 60's family TV shows like LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, or maybe a cue between scenes on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW... but only for a few notes at a time, the upward sweeping "dah-dah-dah-DA-DA-DA"...

I had a similar experience... at church I'm well-known for compositional ditties created on the spot before or after Mass, or during some sort of instrumental time. For Christmas day Mass I combined a rendition of GESU BAMBINO (which also contains strains of O COME LET US ADORE HIM), with JESU JOY . Someone came up and said that they loved hearing a George Winston song. *blink* I haven't listened to a george winston CD for nearly 20 years.

Sure enough when I later listened to the tape, and compared it to the recordings on George Winston's DECEMBER (Wyndham Hill) (Amazon.Com) (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000000NFI/ref=pm_dp_ln_m_2/104-5836407-2196760?v=glance&s=music&n=507846&vi=samples) , there was very, very much similarity between what I had played and what was on the track "JOY".

Totally unintentional. Totally innocent. And totally a copy.

oops. :)

Brian Wardell
06-06-2005, 07:02 AM
Sometimes I have nightmares about everything I've ever done having been unwittingly plagiarized. lol. I think the best I could come up with was that it could have some elements of "The Wild Colonial Boy" in it, but nobody else has heard that in it so I don't know.

drew
06-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Sometimes I have nightmares about everything I've ever done having been unwittingly plagiarized. lol. I think the best I could come up with was that it could have some elements of "The Wild Colonial Boy" in it, but nobody else has heard that in it so I don't know.

I wouldn't worry so much. Let's face it, much of what is posted here is in the style of Western music from the 19th century. The instrumentation, harmonies, rhythms and form that dominate our popular music today, were developed nearly two hundred years ago, so it's going to be pretty tough to say anything really 'new' if you write in this style.

As long as you are not knowingly and intentionally ripping something off, I'd start sleeping better if I were you.

Brian Wardell
06-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Easier said than done. ;) I guess I won't worry about it when I'm not sleeping at least. Thanks. :D

Andrew Sigler
06-06-2005, 08:12 AM
C'mon folks, we're all thieves and magpies! Just ask Pete Townshend or Igor Stravinsky, they'll tell you the same. Everything you've ever heard is stuck up in there somewhere, and it's bound to come out and play when you least expect it...

Dr.Grace
06-06-2005, 09:09 AM
C'mon folks, we're all thieves and magpies! Just ask Pete Townshend or Igor Stravinsky, they'll tell you the same. Everything you've ever heard is stuck up in there somewhere, and it's bound to come out and play when you least expect it...

I agree completely. However, if I'm aware that I'm using an idea from another source, I make it different somehow. I make it my own, by adding something original, a new twist. Or just by putting it in a different context, it sounds new.

Brian, it sounds like you're still concerned about recreating someone else's stuff, and if so, it's your own conscience and self-perception that's really the issue. So I'd say, make every effort to come up with something you feel confident is original!

That is, unless you're just trying to come up with a jingle that is intentionally mimicking a well-known theme.

My 2 cents.

Don