PDA

View Full Version : Warning Signs

Oneilio
06-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Here is a track that has some amazing build ups in it. It has a very mean sound to it. 100% Gold and Stormdrum. Tell me what ya think (and yes, this one is 100% original this time).

http://www.cmilldesign.com/billy/oneilio/Warning%20Signs.mp3

Mills2k
06-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Hrm, I don't know if I'd call them *amazing* buildups. Truth be told, they're not much of buildups because the piece stays on a high the whole way through, and never really lets up. They work well though, particularly the last one.

The wobble in your main theme in the violin sounds wonky currently... sounds forced and awkward at this point, just by the reproduction of the sound, not the actual notes you've written. Don't have much to say, except the way you use repeated fragments is fairly obvious. Overall, nice work. Keep it up. :)

And it seems like this would really benefit from Ra... maybe it's just your main violin theme, but I can certainly imagine some of those sounds fitting in perfectly.

ToddK
06-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Thats not bad at all..

He's right about the Violin. I think you could fix that by using some different
articulations, epecially in that quick half step part. You should be using
Quick up down bows just for the short fast notes.

If you did that, and then add some expressive articulations on some of the long
notes, it would sound 100 percent better.

For build ups, id say go listen to Nick and Dougs demos again, if you have already.

All the Gold and Platinum demos are literally clinics on builds, swells, flourishes
you name it. Listen, and take note. Apply it to your piece.
:)

Overall, excellent job. I know you're a young whippersnapper, you're doing really
well. Keep it up. Keep posting!!:)

Toddk

ps
Are you using the Keyswitches!??? You should be!
The more articulation and velocity changes, the better.
Expression cc will help you with the builds/dynamics

Oneilio
06-06-2005, 11:50 AM
thx for the great feedback, now i know what those "quick up dn" patches are for. :)

A question though: what do you mean use some expressive articulations on some of the long notes. For the sustained string chords i have a bass and a cello patch called vcs Flowing, which is pretty expressive, so can you elaborate maybe? thx alot.

Mills2k
06-06-2005, 11:55 AM
For the strings in particular there's a bunch of patches that change color and dynamic over the course of a held note. I forget the particular names of most stuff that swells in the middle, or gradually changes tone color as the note progresses is what I think he's referring to. I'm not sure if the EXP patches are good for this or not... but just give each of the strings patches a listen for a long held note, and see how it changes over the course of it.

ToddK
06-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Well, in way, its a good thing, cause you're doing some good sounding
stuff, considering you arent aware of many techniques that you can
use with different articulations, as well as editing the attacks and releases
of instrument sounds.
So once you begin to get deeper in, you're gonna really be doing some great
stuff im sure.

So, regarding the violin patches. If you look in, say, the 18 or 11 violins folders
you will see you have a number of articulations for short notes.
Quick bows, martele, spiccatos, etc. And then you have a bunch of long
note variations as well, such as Expressive short, Expressive long, as well
as the option to use modulation cc for DFX patches, like Expressive long DFX.

So, my line could be, 4 notes of Quick bow, followed a semi short note
of plain legato, then one Quickbow, ending with one last long note, using
an Expressive long articulation. Compare this to a line in wich all the notes
use one single legato articulation, and its blatently obvious... ;)

Check out my Gold video tutorial in the "Helpful Hints" section here, if you
dont know how to use modulation for dynamic swells and cresendos.
I also teach you how to use keyswithces. :)

TK

Oneilio
06-06-2005, 06:22 PM
the only problem with that is that my cpu can't afford to load 4 patches per instrument. maybe i need more RAM or something.

Pi_314
06-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Yep - Dem violin sounds are wonky, or is it wanky. You may want to blow off the violins altogether in favor of another instrument if possible.

Brian Wardell
06-07-2005, 02:58 AM
I agree, the violins could use some help. I think I understand where Mills2k is coming from with the comment about RA fitting in. I think maybe something with a little more bite than a violin. Heck, maybe even try an oboe or english horn or something, might give an interesting sound. Definitely take a walk through the various patches and see what they do and how you can use them. I'm still not through all of them (I've played most of them, but don't have them locked in my memory yet, so I need to listen to them more myself). Even if you can't load multiple articulations (which I am having trouble with on my system as well) you can select the one patch that best blends throughout. Also, It could start a little lower so that the builds are that much more impressive, but as always it could be an individual taste. Thanks for sharing. Good stuff. :D

ChrisE
06-07-2005, 05:09 AM
A good way to help with your computer if you are stuggling with RAM is to go down to audio.
I would export what you have done to an audio track, with the Violin line muted. Then start a new file and import the audio track. Now you can compose your violin line over the top of the audio with 10 different articulation tracks if you want to and not suffer on performance :D

After that I would change your new violin line to audio again, and put the audio track back with your other midi file that you used originally.

I think someone could explain it far better than myself, but you get the idea.

Apart from the articulations to give you expression dont forget the controller data. Editing the expression and velocities can get those swells exactly how you want them. Also watch ToddK's video on using the modulation wheel and keyswitches, in the Helpful Hints part of these forums.

Apart from that, I really enjoyed the piece, and those buildups could sound awesome with just a little work. Keep up the good work :D

Brian Wardell
06-07-2005, 05:16 AM
A good way to help with your computer if you are stuggling with RAM is to go down to audio.
I would export what you have done to an audio track, with the Violin line muted. Then start a new file and import the audio track. Now you can compose your violin line over the top of the audio with 10 different articulation tracks if you want to and not suffer on performance :D

Heh, but that takes so much more time! ;) Seriously, though, I've started to have to do this myself. It's a pain in the back side, but I think in the end it will probably be worth it. Not sure I'll do it with every instrument, but the probably will with they key ones that sound really wonky. Good advice.

ChrisE
06-07-2005, 06:10 AM
Heh, but that takes so much more time! ;) Seriously, though, I've started to have to do this myself. It's a pain in the back side, but I think in the end it will probably be worth it. Not sure I'll do it with every instrument, but the probably will with they key ones that sound really wonky. Good advice.

lol, I never said it would be easy ;)

Evan
06-07-2005, 03:15 PM
ah..this one was nice..I would suggest lowering the volume on the percussion in the beggining, as well as what everyone else said with the strings..other than that this was simple and fun! :)

lovelysilence
06-07-2005, 04:23 PM
I find it very good, except for the middle part. The violins have no appeal at all there.
Did you hear the attack doesn't seem right? The violins also have to struggle to get above the total mix. Don't think a good build-up like you made, needs to continue with the same volume. In other words, you can get much more intensity out of this piece if you get a more dynamic feel. I also agree on the percussion being too upfront in the mix.
But hey, overall that's good man.