PDA

View Full Version : Psychological music

josejherring
04-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Hello,

I'm happy to be here.

Just wanted to add a few demos over here. Let me know what you think.

This is for a psychological thriller film I just completed.

http://www.broadjam.com/songtracking/playsonghifi.asp?songID=131462&play_file=19278_131462&

http://www.broadjam.com/songtracking/playsonghifi.asp?songID=131462&play_file=19278_131461&

http://www.broadjam.com/songtracking/playsonghifi.asp?songID=131462&play_file=19278_131459&

Jose

lgrohn
04-07-2005, 10:06 PM
It is very refressing to listen different kind of film music instead of
the standard cliches that EWQL and GPO forums are full of.
I quess that is the reason to call your music psychological?
More of this kind of music.

LG

amo
04-08-2005, 01:34 AM
I just listened to the first one and now am listeneing to the second one. First of all, I'll second Igrohn, saying that this stuff is quite original in that forum. I love the non-hollywood style of your pieces, though it is still vry filmish. I found the sound and "articulations" quite amazing. What is playing there ? But more than that, your sensibility is great, I can tell from what use you made from whatever librairy is there.
Composition is nice, not overloaded.
One thing in the first piece: I find the timpani section, when thay are in the front of the scene, a bit "dry" or "loud" or I don't know what, but something sounds unatural for me. That's in fact my only note.

Well, I'm listening to the third piece right now, and from the beginning, I find it lacks some "air". It sound a bit more unatural, but I like the composition. Same thing for the timpani, I think it is a matter of ambiance... They sound too close to my taste (only my taste....), maybe a bit too loud....

Best,

Amaury

josejherring
04-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Good comments Amo.

I'll check it out. Sometimes in the heat of confusion I choose a close mic sample instead of a full mic. I should check those timps.

As far as unatural sounding do you mean that the sequencing is too stiff in the lound tutti passage.

Also, when you say the third one lacks air. What exactly do you mean by that. I sometimes noticed that my synth sounds lack a little "air" and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Cheers,

Jose

amo
04-08-2005, 12:03 PM
I have to listen a second time, as my day was long.... I will get back to you later....

Craig_L
04-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Hey Jose, what's the film?

Really loved the first piece and will listen to the others shortly.

One comment though and I don't mean to be picky, but the open strings die quickly without much reverb. What mike postions are they? And I imagine the brass are close mikes as they seemed forward of the strings and hit me in the face. Might be good for the film though - and I can't see the images you are scoring for.

Extremely effective piece.

Craig

josejherring
04-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Film is a Psychological thriller due to come out soon. I let you know the title as soon as it's set. I have a feeling it might change.

I used no additional reverb. I think the MP3 file sounds a little dryer than the original though. It was all done with Gold(full mic position) and Reason.

Brass is in your face because I listen to the NY phil. live for several years and got use to the sound. Producers and Directors seem to love it so I stick with it.

The scene is when the main bad guy comes to visit the lovely young couple at their door. They turn him away after the conversation gets weird, and he goes into a hysterical and extremely disturbing rage.

Cheers,

Jose

pappagheno
04-11-2005, 10:09 AM
very dramatic.. like it.. like how it grows little by little.. just the trumpet seemsa little too... "big ".. maybe.. talking about hte first piece..

DaveWalton
04-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi,

I'm listening to the first one as I write this. I would LOVE to hear this in context of the film. You've done an excellent job on this. VERY professional. Please post any film clips when they are available if you can.

Dave

josejherring
04-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks Pappa and Dave.

I appreciate the listen.

Dave I wish I could post video clips but I'm afraid that the producers of the film wouldn't allow it. But, I'll let you know when the film comes out. Could take a while.

Cheers,

Jose