PDA

View Full Version : Enigma - StormDrum + Silver + RI + synths

Kayamb
06-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Hi all,

Here I am posting my new composition : Enigma (http://jphalip.free.fr/musique/Enigma.mp3)

In that one I am using EWQLSO Silver + Rare Instruments (Duduk & Gongs) + a Rhodes and Sytrus both plugins from Fruity Loops, the sequencer I use to compose.
Percussions are from Stormdrum (Derbuka + Iraqi Talking Drum + Sioux Drum + Egyptian Riq).

It's quite peaceful, and flows along the way, with some sharp percussions though. Its style is hard to define...

I hope you enjoy it. I am looking forward to hearing your comments, especially about the mixing, which I struggled with to fit in every instrument.

Please feel free also to comment my other compositions. When I posted a few weeks ago, I didn't get much feedback :)

My other demos: Fou Rire (http://jphalip.free.fr/musique/Fou%20Rire.mp3) - Révélation (http://jphalip.free.fr/musique/Revelation.mp3)

Cheers everyone ;)

Julien Phalip.

Kayamb
06-07-2005, 10:10 PM
I just forgot to mention that I made all the percussion loops myself with the piano roll. No pre-existing loop utilized. That's my little pride as I am just starting playing around with percs in my compositions...

I love Stormdrum :D

ToddK
06-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Cool, cause i was going to ask you about the percusion.:)

Thanks for the words in the voting thread. :)

Great to see somebody posting finished works, and not
dreaming up voting strategies. :rolleyes:

Love the piece!! Ultra eclectic mix of instruments. Yet everything gels
perfectly. Very cool,and very different from many things i've heard
here in a long while.

This is the kind of stuff i'm trying to get better at. Its deceptively difficult
to do this kind of thing imho.

You've got it dialed. :)

TK

Brian Wardell
06-08-2005, 01:47 AM
Man, I really dig this. It's very relaxing, almost hypnotic. :D

ToddK
06-08-2005, 02:44 AM
Yes, hypnotic is a great word for it.

Almost dream sequence'esque. :cool:

ChrisE
06-08-2005, 03:34 AM
Cool piece, its great to hear something different to the music thats normally posted here.

fourthage
06-08-2005, 04:29 AM
Really nice piece sounds like Honeyroots new album really chilled and different from the norm very nice.

Just listened to Révélation sometimes the instruments sound a bit out of place though it could be my speakers but really like piano and harp lines. Whole-tone at end is nice as well.

Fou Rire is brilliant am liking the instrumentation and overall feel.

Some nice pieces keep it up!

Kayamb
06-08-2005, 05:19 AM
Thanks to you all! I really appreciate your nice words. :)

Revelation was my first piece with this kind of library, and when I listen back to it, it too feel like there's something out of place but I couldn't say what....

Fou Rire is my little "baby" :) I just did it for fun to try different instruments from Silver, that I never had used before. By the way, "Fou Rire" literally means "Crazy Laughter", but in French it means Titter, you know, when you laugh but you just can't stop laughing. I got this name cause I had great fun composing it :D

Todd I particularly appreciate your comment about the percs. I voted for Jungle Groove at the contest coz I found it was breath-taking and very punchy!!

Hyptonic? Yeah that's a kind of feeling I can get when I listen to Enigma as well. Really glad you like it!

Cheers all!

Liam
06-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Hey Kayamb,

I really love this piece! Like was said before it has a very hypnotic feel to it. It builds nicely throughout the whole piece. I have always liked using synths and electronic elements blended with orchestral instruments.

Great work!

Liam

BrianSzep
06-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Hello,

Very nice use of instrumentation. I love the build and the chord structure you used (gives it a kind of off kilter feel). After reading some of the other posts I would say hauntingly hypnotic :) !

Hope to hear more from you soon,

- Brian

DaveWalton
06-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi,

I like this kind of stuff. It's different, interesting, and at the same time doesn't overload me from a listening standpoint.

Good work!

Dave

Kayamb
06-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks Liam, Dave and Brian for your nice words.

I am glad you like it. I like mixing different instruments, real and electronic, coz I find the orchetra by itself can be boring, unless you are a master-composer...

Cheers!!!