PDA

View Full Version : Gold Pro or Platinum?

Blazinghammer
04-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Hello all!

I have, as probably many of you also, the current dilemma of deciding which route to go: EWQLSO Gold Pro upgrade or join the Plat GB.

Granting that I have sufficient hardware to run either, would I be better off canceling my Gold Pro upgrade and jumping on the GB bandwagon? Or would I be missing out on key features such as Qlegato? (I cannot afford both.)

I guess it boils down to this: new samples/Qlegato, or 24 bit/3 mic positions??? :confused:

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Blazinghammer
04-08-2005, 11:30 AM
No input??? Okay, can I at least get a vote out of you all??

Gold Pro with new samples and Qlegato

OR

Platinum with 24 bit and 3 mic positions?

What's your fancy?

Blessings,

stranger4u
04-08-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm wondering the same thing and I was hoping for some answers also. Been playing with the gold samples that have C, F and S mics and while I do hear a great difference I still don't know if Platinum would be the better choice.

FilmComposerZ
04-08-2005, 11:42 AM
Though I love the EWQL Platinum sound, I have GOLD and honestly I have not used even 50 percent of the libraries capabilities.

As far as the three mic posution, beautiful in my opinion, but I'd rather save my money and get first a better system to run GOLD on and hopefully in the future (Doug? Nick?) aquire Collosus and RA in Group buy form....I bought Silver a year ago, the got GOLD and Perc Adv 2 from EW as a bundle deal, so hopefully I'll do that with RA and Collusus, not really interested in S Choirs yet, that's why I did not get the three bundle. But nonetheless, Platinum awesome and If I were not on a tight budget I would get the Platinum Group Buy, because I just don't need so many different articulations, so choosing between three mic positions (sound) and Gold Pro (articulations) I would go with the Group Buy.

Best of luck, congrats on the 41 subscribers to the Plat Edition. EW deserves this and this is great for their customer base!

Scott Rogers
04-08-2005, 12:53 PM
I think for the most part it all comes down to whether or not you're going to want to control ambience or not. Have you heard the percussion demo comparing side by side the various mic placements?

It may help to have a listen:

http://www.soundsonline.com/demos/EWQLSO_Percussion.zip

Doug Rogers
04-08-2005, 12:55 PM
I'm wondering the same thing and I was hoping for some answers also. Been playing with the gold samples that have C, F and S mics and while I do hear a great difference I still don't know if Platinum would be the better choice.

You can't really tell from one patch. Once you get the whole orchestra up there is a significant difference in the soundstage and dynamic range that provides a sound that can only be obtained with Platinum. Gold is a great product, but Platinum has the best overall sound, and many options for shaping that sound. For example, listen to the Platinum demo of The Planets - Mars (G. Holst) - that is mostly hall mics (not available in Gold).

Also, many are running Platinum on one computer. Sure, you have to bounce more with one computer, but that's just a time issue. With a little more effort you can achieve the same result as the top pros after you mix the three mic positions in your audio sequencer.

- Doug

dcoscina
04-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Hey Doug here's the million dollar question: will there be MP3 examples of Gold Pro before the Group Buy for Platinum expires? It might give those who are on the fence a better context to make an appropriate decision.

Blazinghammer
04-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks to all those who responded thus far. As I see it, here are the current results of the poll:

Gold Pro (with new articulations and Qlegato) - 0

Platinum (with 24 bit samples and 3 mic positions) - 2

So, which do you prefer (granting you have sufficient hardware to run either), Gold Pro or Plat? Keep those votes comin' in, peoples! :D

Blessings,

josejherring
04-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Platinum if you can swing it. I would think. Even though that 2 b-flat trumpet section is looking quite nice in gold pro.

neoTypic
04-09-2005, 12:12 AM
If you ever plan to upgrade to Plat, you're probably not going to get a better price even with the cost of Gold subtracted from it.

Blazinghammer
04-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Current poll results

Gold Pro (with new articulations and Qlegato) - 1
Plat (with 24 bit and 3 mic positions) - 4

Keep 'em comin' boys!

Blessings,

chocothrax
04-09-2005, 01:18 AM
I'd definitely go for Gold Pro. You even get the missing stuff in gold from platinum if you get pro I believe. Even if you have 4 computers laying around to run Platinum I think Gold Pro is a better buy. Can you hear the difference 24-bit makes? I probably can't but maybe you have better ears. :)

chocothrax
04-09-2005, 01:20 AM
Oh and also maybe you should ask those who suggest Platinum if they are in the Platinum group buy as they want as many people to join so they can save money so of course they'll say Platinum. :)

Scott Rogers
04-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Even if you have 4 computers laying around to run Platinum I think Gold Pro is a better buy. Can you hear the difference 24-bit makes?
How many times does it have to be repeated that you do not need multiple computers to run Platinum?

As for 24 bit, it's main advantage is for mixing headroom, processing, and yes, quality.

What he has to decide is what will be more important to him on a daily basis. Control of ambience, therefore more flexibility in that area, or more articulations, hence more flexibility in that area. And he's the only one that can answer these questions.

Scott Rogers
04-09-2005, 01:34 AM
Oh and also maybe you should ask those who suggest Platinum if they are in the Platinum group buy as they want as many people to join so they can save money so of course they'll say Platinum. :)
You seem to be the one most interested in influencing his decision.

chocothrax
04-09-2005, 01:47 AM
It doesn't matter to me what he buys, i'm just stating my opinion. You don't need multiple computers to run Platinum but i'm sure you'd want them. Scott are you related to Doug or something? Lol/.

Steve Karl
04-09-2005, 02:57 AM
I think for the most part it all comes down to whether or not you're going to want to control ambience or not. Have you heard the percussion demo comparing side by side the various mic placements?

It may help to have a listen:

http://www.soundsonline.com/demos/EWQLSO_Percussion.zip

So you're saying it's safe to assume that there is the same ammount of control on all samples?

It would also be nice to have a listing of any sample / instruments / articulations
that have been repaired or are marked for repair and patch.
I've found quite a few problems in the release samples in Gold,
and some problems in some of the fundamental samples.
Are any of these issues of this nature being addressed?

Steve

Liam
04-09-2005, 03:06 AM
Well, my two cents is, I would go for GOLD PRO. Mostly because it has ALL the content of Platinum plus Qlegato and all the new pro patches. So the only thing missing would be the 3 mic positions, and the 24bit samples.

Liam

neoTypic
04-09-2005, 04:10 AM
Well, my two cents is, I would go for GOLD PRO. Mostly because it has ALL the content of Platinum plus Qlegato and all the new pro patches. So the only thing missing would be the 3 mic positions, and the 24bit samples.

Liam

I believe that statement needs to be qualified - it has all the articulations from the original Platinum, not Plat Pro.

Again I think it ultimately depends on if you ever plan on upgrading to Platinum in the future. If Gold is all you want/need then go with Gold Pro. If you're planning on upgrading I would go with Plat because it'll be cheaper in the long run. If you don't need the 2 other mic positions or the 24bit depth than go with Gold+Pro.

I have no stake in influencing his decision either way. My decision to go into the group buy depends on my personal finances, not one more or less participant. Eventually I'd want the flexibility allowed by Platinum and so it would be more cost effective to buy it at a reduced rate than by upgrading.

stranger4u
04-09-2005, 04:30 AM
I believe that statement needs to be qualified - it has all the articulations from the original Platinum, not Plat Pro.

I think it has both. All the missing articulations from Plat and also all from Plat Pro so the only difference would be the three mics and 24bit.

neoTypic
04-09-2005, 04:43 AM
I think it has both. All the missing articulations from Plat and also all from Plat Pro so the only difference would be the three mics and 24bit.

I apologize, that looks to be true. I just now found the links to the PRO information.

It appears that if you purchased Gold+Pro you would have basically a one mic position, 16bit Plat. ;)

Is it possible to use Gold Pro with Plat then? I don't believe so. It'd definitely be a while before I would even consider dropping an additional 3k to upgrade. That's another thing to take into consideration as well.

amo
04-09-2005, 04:52 AM
NeoTopic,

If you read closely, it says on the gold pro page:

PLEASE NOTE: This upgrade must be used with the original library.

Regards,

Amaury

neoTypic
04-09-2005, 05:00 AM
NeoTopic,

If you read closely, it says on the gold pro page:

Regards,

Amaury

Right, I saw that. ;) I was having a "wishfull thinking" moment. ;)

Scott Rogers
04-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Scott are you related to Doug or something? Lol/.
Well, I was waiting for the right time to spring it on him. I want to do everything just right after all those years of trying to track him down, but yes, Doug is my father. And although I know that he'll want to give me all sorts of free product, because he is my sire, all that I really want is to play catch with him and a baseball in the backyard.

When I was but a wee lad, my mother would show me pictures of Doug, I mean, Dad, and tell me of his various incoherent ramblings about a new technology just over the horizon called "sampling". And he would always tell her that one day, this new technology would forever change the world, and that he would be the George Washington of that revolution, only with a better haircut.

So, Dad, here I am - your son, but still just a little boy on the inside, and I am waiting for you to reach out to me, to tell me that you want to make up for lost time. And if you want this too, please send me an unmistakable signal, such as the Platinum Pro upgrade for free, so that I'll know you long for your son.

I'll be waiting by the mailbox with kleenex in hand, just in case.

Doug Rogers
04-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Well, I was waiting for the right time to spring it on him. I want to do everything just right after all those years of trying to track him down, but yes, Doug is my father. And although I know that he'll want to give me all sorts of free product, because he is my sire, all that I really want is to play catch with him and a baseball in the backyard.

When I was but a wee lad, my mother would show me pictures of Doug, I mean, Dad, and tell me of his various incoherent ramblings about a new technology just over the horizon called "sampling". And he would always tell her that one day, this new technology would forever change the world, and that he would be the George Washington of that revolution, only with a better haircut.

So, Dad, here I am - your son, but still just a little boy on the inside, and I am waiting for you to reach out to me, to tell me that you want to make up for lost time. And if you want this too, please send me an unmistakable signal, such as the Platinum Pro upgrade for free, so that I'll know you long for your son.

What a remarkable coincidence, that I should find my long lost son on this forum!

Seriously, you guys underplay the significance of the 3-mic positions. If you want a wetter sound in Gold you can add reverb, but that sounds artificial. I've heard all of the popular reverbs, convolution, the $10,000 Sony Hardware Reverb (Nick has one), Lexicons, Altiverb etc. - nothing comes close to the sound of the hall mics in Platinum. If you want to get closer to the instrument or bring forward a player, you can only do that in Platinum. If you want to 'virtually' sit in the middle of the hall and listen to the orchestra you can only do that in Platinum. There are almost unlimited sound options in Platinum that are not available in the other versions. 24-bit? Of course you are not going to hear the difference in MP3 files, but I can hear the difference dramatically on a good system (like movie theatres). If you have seen the Las Vegas Cirque Du Soleil KA show which uses Platinum throughout the performance you will know what I'm talking about. The dynamic range is improved by 50% and mixing the instruments together is much smoother sounding.

Obviously it's your call, but if they were the same price I know which one I would want.

- Doug

Blazinghammer
04-09-2005, 12:42 PM

ROFL! :D :D :D

Blazinghammer
04-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Current results of poll:

Gold Pro (more instruments/articulations; Qlegato) - 2
Platinum (24 bit; 3 mic positions) - 5

Thanks for all your responses...keep 'em comin'!

Blessings,

c.k
04-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Hello there,

My first post here, at new forum... :)

Night and day, my vote would go to Gold Pro... but with close mikes :)

Cheers,

ck

dcoscina
04-09-2005, 02:33 PM
My advice- GET BOTH! :D

I think if you're ever going to record a full score using EWQLSO Platinum appears to be the way to go with its better bit rate and variety in mic positions.

If you just want to mess around with orch libraries on evenings and weekends, or else use it as a sketch pad with a notation program like Finale, Sibelius or Overture, than maybe Gold Pro with it's extended articulations would be a good route.

Seriously, if you have the dough, get both. I would if I had the financial resources.

But I've been doing a lot of writing with Gold these days and I am more and more knocked out by its sonic realism. Some of these articulations work so much better when one enters them in via notation rather than in realtime. The 11vln martupanddown when played in double time sound EXACTLY like the real thing. Very amazing.

Scott Rogers
04-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Some of these articulations work so much better when one enters them in via notation rather than in realtime. The 11vln martupanddown when played in double time sound EXACTLY like the real thing. Very amazing.
Dave, might you be able to post an example of this? Would be interesting to hear.

johnyc
04-09-2005, 02:53 PM
Can anyone point me in the direction of some example scores where a person made use of the 3 mic positions in Platinum and did the same score with gold but with reverbs emulating the 2 other mic positions?

Scott Rogers
04-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Can anyone point me in the direction of some example scores where a person made use of the 3 mic positions in Platinum and did the same score with gold but with reverbs emulating the 2 other mic positions?
You can't emulate the close mic positions with reverb.

johnyc
04-09-2005, 02:58 PM

I think if you're ever going to record a full score using EWQLSO Platinum appears to be the way to go with its better bit rate and variety in mic positions.

If you just want to mess around with orch libraries on evenings and weekends, or else use it as a sketch pad with a notation program like Finale, Sibelius or Overture, than maybe Gold Pro with it's extended articulations would be a good route.

Seriously, if you have the dough, get both. I would if I had the financial resources.

But I've been doing a lot of writing with Gold these days and I am more and more knocked out by its sonic realism. Some of these articulations work so much better when one enters them in via notation rather than in realtime. The 11vln martupanddown when played in double time sound EXACTLY like the real thing. Very amazing.

what would you say accounts for the realism of the notated notes vs. played notes? I always thought it was better to play the notes to give it a human feel (timing and velocity)? Then of course you could always quantize or edit other midi parameters after playing by hand..

johnyc
04-09-2005, 03:10 PM
You can't emulate the close mic positions with reverb.

Thanks for the info Scott.
I've got a bunch more Q's here as I'm new to all orchestral libraries..

How well does adding reverbs over top of the samples in general work?
Are the close mic positions more tweakable compared to the stage and hall positions?
How well can one achieve a stage and hall sound through the use of reverbs (hardware, software, dsp) and the close position samples?
Lastly, for non-orchestral songs that only contain a few orchestral instruments, which set of mic position samples would be more suitable?
Thanks for any help

Blazinghammer
04-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Hello there,

My first post here, at new forum... :)

Night and day, my vote would go to Gold Pro... but with close mikes :)

Cheers,

ck

Hello ck,

Well, since Gold Pro only comes with the STAGE mics, would you still choose it over Plat?

TIA,

dcoscina
04-09-2005, 04:01 PM
It's not very long- in fact, it's like 12 bars or something. I'm still figuring out the ins and outs of Overture. And running Kontakt on its own is a bit of tricky business. But I'll give it a whirl....remember, this is just a beginning...

Quick example- very short (http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/182212-Quick%20orchestral%20thing.mp3)

Blazinghammer
04-09-2005, 04:05 PM

Hello Dave,

I'm tempted to get both...in fact, I had already cancelled my Gold Pro order in order to afford Plat, but at the last minute I begged Jennifer and she graciously cancelled my cancellation! :p I first wanted to check in with you all before I make my final decision (okay, my FINAL final one :D )

And though I may do some orchestral/soundtrack work in the future, my main usage is contemporary pop-type stuff. The close mics and bit depth of Plat are very tempting (I did hear an increase in quality A/B'ing Gold with Plat...Gold sounded amazing, while Plat sounded like I was THERE!)

Well, I'm grateful to all who have helped out. Your ongoing comments are appreciated!

Blessings,

dcoscina
04-09-2005, 04:06 PM
what would you say accounts for the realism of the notated notes vs. played notes? I always thought it was better to play the notes to give it a human feel (timing and velocity)? Then of course you could always quantize or edit other midi parameters after playing by hand..

Well, there are certain techniques that are difficult to emulate on a keyboard. Remember that an orchestra features winds, percussion, strings, and brass all of which have certain stylistic traits that often don't translate well onto keyboard. The double-bowing that you'll hear Williams write for quick passages is something that, unless you have Parkinson's disease or hopped up on caffeine, is very difficult to achieve, especially on a weighted keyboard controller. For long, lyrical lines, you can get away with it. Frankly, since I got Overture, I much prefer looking and writing onto score notation rather than an arrange page of a sequencer. That's just me and my background though. I still do play stuff into Overture- the horn line was played in and then edited. But the string line was step entered and finessed through notation.

dcoscina
04-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Dave, might you be able to post an example of this? Would be interesting to hear.

here it is:

example (http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/182212-Quick%20orchestral%20thing.mp3)

note- the darn MP3 compression doesn't help. It flattens out the sound of the violins 1 and 2 so you cannot hear the detail as much as a wav file. ah well. I think it's really cool to work with these strings though.

c.k
04-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Hello ck,

Well, since Gold Pro only comes with the STAGE mics, would you still choose it over Plat?

TIA,

Greetings Blazinghammer,

Firstly, I have no choice: I've pre-ordered Gold Pro and can't afford Platinum at the moment.

Looking back, if I had a chance, I'd likely pick Platinum, simply because of those close mics. But that's my personal situation, since I'm trying to blend the orchestra with rock band, so I need more control over the dry/wet signal. Your miles may vary.

In terms of the fastest way to achieve realistic results, playability (provided that QLegato works well), and computer resources required - Gold Pro seems to be a winner.

Cheers,

ck

Blazinghammer
04-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Greetings Blazinghammer,

Firstly, I have no choice: I've pre-ordered Gold Pro and can't afford Platinum at the moment.

Looking back, if I had a chance, I'd likely pick Platinum, simply because of those close mics. But that's my personal situation, since I'm trying to blend the orchestra with rock band, so I need more control over the dry/wet signal. Your miles may vary.

In terms of the fastest way to achieve realistic results, playability (provided that QLegato works well), and computer resources required - Gold Pro seems to be a winner.

Cheers,

ck

Thanks, ck! :)

neoTypic
04-10-2005, 12:50 AM
It was confirmed that you CAN use Gold PRO without having Gold. So you can use Platinum + Gold PRO. ;)

Scott Rogers
04-10-2005, 08:01 AM
How well does adding reverbs over top of the samples in general work?
Are the close mic positions more tweakable compared to the stage and hall positions?
How well can one achieve a stage and hall sound through the use of reverbs (hardware, software, dsp) and the close position samples?
Lastly, for non-orchestral songs that only contain a few orchestral instruments, which set of mic position samples would be more suitable?
Johny, someone else may have answered your questions already, but I haven't read through all the posts so I don't know.

For your fist question, I'm not sure what tweaks you're talking about, but I believe that since the close mikes have far less ambience, you could do a little tasteful eq if you needed to without a detrimental effect. What I don't know is whether or not you can alter the pan position of the close mikes without getting any stereo imaging problems. Perhaps someone that knows will weigh in on this. But of course, even if you can, then you wouldn't be able to mix in any of the other mikes with this if you had in fact altered the panning.

For the second question, if you wanted to to achieve a stage or hall sound, you would just use those mike sets. There wouldn't be any point of putting reverb on the close mikes I wouldn't think, because if you have access to the close mikes, that means you also have access to the conductor and hall mics, and there's not a reverb in the world, algorithm or IR based, that can come close to doing what happens acoustically in the real world. If you tried to impart as much rich ambience to the close mikes as what you can get with the conductor and/or hall mikes, your orchestra would get lost and obscured in a gooey swim of wetness.

For the third question, unless you're going for a certain specific effect, you'd most likely favor the close mikes here, and if you needed a touch more of ambience, you could dial in a bit of the conductor mikes.

calaf
04-10-2005, 04:47 PM
hello,
i wish to know if its is possible ,when you buy the platinum ,to install a reduced version of it (like the gold ) on the small hard drive that you take with you with your laptop;in this way you could choose the articulations and instruments you kneed with flexibility,or do you have to have always over 60 GB of data on your HD even if you plan to use only the standard position of microphones for several months?
Thank you for an answer.

Doug Rogers
04-11-2005, 10:42 AM
hello,
i wish to know if its is possible ,when you buy the platinum ,to install a reduced version of it (like the gold ) on the small hard drive that you take with you with your laptop;in this way you could choose the articulations and instruments you kneed with flexibility,or do you have to have always over 60 GB of data on your HD even if you plan to use only the standard position of microphones for several months?
Thank you for an answer.

Platinum is split into 4 modules (Strings, Woodwind, Brass, and Orchestral Percussion), so you could install just the strings for example, but not a reduced sample set easily as they are contained in a series of 2 Gig monolithic files. Silver is prefect for this use as the whole library is only 2+ Gigs and was designed for laptop use. With a little tweaking you can then use Platinum later to play back your Silver composition.

- Doug

chocothrax
04-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Whatttttttt you can buy Gold Pro without having regular gold? Wish I knew that before I bought gold that I could completely bypass it. It said on the Gold Pro page that you have to use it with Gold....That's nice. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Doug Rogers
04-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Whatttttttt you can buy Gold Pro without having regular gold? Wish I knew that before I bought gold that I could completely bypass it. It said on the Gold Pro page that you have to use it with Gold....That's nice. :mad: :mad: :mad:

You can't completely bypass it. You couldn't create most orchestral compositions without the original. The original library can be used on it's own, the Pro Upgrades are designed to augment it, not replace it.

We don't want users to think PRO is a replacement for the original, because it's not, it's an upgrade.

- Doug

dcoscina
04-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Maybe I'm slow or something but I looked over the articulations/instrument list for Silver Pro, the smallest of the lot, and I think I could write some pretty cool orchestral pieces using just that library.

My original thought was that the Pro upgrades required the original libraries in which to be imported into the instrument and multi folders and all would be driven out of the same Komptakt player. that was what I thought. But now it seems as though one would needs to use 2 Komptakt players to load the samples for each lib.

Doug, is there any way we can load samples/patches from both libs into one Komptakt player?

Doug Rogers
04-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Maybe I'm slow or something but I looked over the articulations/instrument list for Silver Pro, the smallest of the lot, and I think I could write some pretty cool orchestral pieces using just that library.

My original thought was that the Pro upgrades required the original libraries in which to be imported into the instrument and multi folders and all would be driven out of the same Komptakt player. that was what I thought. But now it seems as though one would needs to use 2 Komptakt players to load the samples for each lib.

Doug, is there any way we can load samples/patches from both libs into one Komptakt player?

Kompakt no, but you could do this in Kontakt once you're registered.

- Doug

dcoscina
04-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Ah, so the Kompakt player that comes with each Silver and Silver Pro library can only play those sounds. Whereas Kontakt isn't limited. Okay, good to know. I own Kontakt 1.5 so this works for me. I was just hoping to avoid extra CPU power on unneccesary Kompakt players.

Craig_L
04-12-2005, 12:25 AM
You can't really tell from one patch. Once you get the whole orchestra up there is a significant difference in the soundstage and dynamic range that provides a sound that can only be obtained with Platinum. Gold is a great product, but Platinum has the best overall sound, and many options for shaping that sound. For example, listen to the Platinum demo of The Planets - Mars (G. Holst) - that is mostly hall mics (not available in Gold).

Also, many are running Platinum on one computer. Sure, you have to bounce more with one computer, but that's just a time issue. With a little more effort you can achieve the same result as the top pros after you mix the three mic positions in your audio sequencer.

- Doug

Hey Doug,

Is the The Planets - Mars piece all surround mikes? If it is, could it be "re-rendered" in Gold so we can hear the difference with a good classical mock-up - whether it's 16 bit Gold or 24 bit stage miked Platinum.

Craig

dcoscina
04-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Platinum is split into 4 modules (Strings, Woodwind, Brass, and Orchestral Percussion), so you could install just the strings for example, but not a reduced sample set easily as they are contained in a series of 2 Gig monolithic files. Silver is prefect for this use as the whole library is only 2+ Gigs and was designed for laptop use. With a little tweaking you can then use Platinum later to play back your Silver composition.

- Doug

Yup, I just did that very thing last night. I loaded up a composition I worked on last summer at my cottage on my Dell laptop and Silver, and imported into my desktop running Gold. Very cool. Hence, part of the reasons I'm starting with Silver Pro and moving up to Gold Pro when greater funds become available.

I think Silver sounds smashing to be honest. for 2 gigs, there's a lot of great sounds in there. Doug, how do you do it? (magic elves, or some sorcerer in locked in the back room :))

tgfoo
04-13-2005, 02:02 PM
I personally would go for the Gold Pro upgrade before getting Platinum. But it really depends on what your intentions and needs are. If you want a few more articulations and better quality and more control of your sound (i.e. dryer for on project, but more wet for another) I'd go with Platinum. If you fine with the sound quality you have now, but want more more articulations and legato, got with Gold Pro. Personally, I'd want the articulations. I'd have no need for Platinum unless I had a well paying reason to get it. Unfortunately, I dont' have money for either the Gold Pro upgrade, or the Platinum GB (though I wish I had enough for them...) I think that you really should decide which suits your current needs more, instead of polling others, because you're the only one who truly knows.

Blazinghammer
04-13-2005, 07:02 PM
I personally would go for the Gold Pro upgrade before getting Platinum. But it really depends on what your intentions and needs are. If you want a few more articulations and better quality and more control of your sound (i.e. dryer for on project, but more wet for another) I'd go with Platinum. If you fine with the sound quality you have now, but want more more articulations and legato, got with Gold Pro. Personally, I'd want the articulations. I'd have no need for Platinum unless I had a well paying reason to get it. Unfortunately, I dont' have money for either the Gold Pro upgrade, or the Platinum GB (though I wish I had enough for them...) I think that you really should decide which suits your current needs more, instead of polling others, because you're the only one who truly knows.

Thanks for your input, Tgfoo! Getting input from you guys was actually Jennifer's idea. My head says stick with Gold Pro, but my heart wants Plat. You can understand my predicament :p ...just want some clarification from those in the know.

Blessings,

tgfoo
04-14-2005, 07:23 AM
My head says stick with Gold Pro, but my heart wants Plat. You can understand my predicament :p

Yeah, I know what you mean, if I had an extra 1000 bucks to burn on an orchestral library, I'd probably be in the same position. Actually, I need to save up and buy RA.... That's why I love summer jobs. :D

dcoscina
04-14-2005, 08:13 AM

That's my feeling too. And I'm in the same boat. But I think I can swing Silver Pro to start with so at least I get those Qlegato sounds. Silver runs well on both my desktop and my lesser powered laptop so I rationalize this as, I'm primarily composing with Overture (using V-Stack and Maple MIDI tools to connect Gold) for sketches of concert pieces so I don't need awesomely amazing quality (although I'd buy it anyhow if I had the dough) and I'd rather have some new articulations like the Bartok snap pizz., string harmonics, etc.

Kaatza_Music
04-14-2005, 10:09 PM
I've already pre-ordered Gold Pro upgrade. The Platinum is tempting, but I think I need to really learn all the ins and outs of Gold Pro and when some paying gigs come along that justify the upgrade to Platinum, that would be the time to go for it. I've already spent many many thousands on studio gear, hardware, software and samples. I would be embarrased to tell you how much money I have made from this investment :)
Besides even when I had only Silver, I was able to create some pretty impressive sounding pieces.