PDA

View Full Version : Symphonic Choir Demo

Thomas
06-08-2005, 10:52 AM
I've only had Symphonic Choirs for a little over a day, so I thought I would try something simple to start with.

Here is the "Church Choir" setting, using the MM, AH and OH sounds in a gentle orchestral bed. Actually, it wasn't necessary but I tried adding a few singers along with the Symphonic Choirs, but there are only two real singers mixed in a little (really only one and a half REAL singers, since one of them was me!). Anyway, hope you like it. I want to do something with the Wordbuilder, but that will take more time to learn.

Thomas :cool:

http://home.comcast.net/~vobmusic/Symphonic_Choirs_MM_Ah_Oh.mp3

Dogforester
06-08-2005, 11:22 AM
That song is amazing !! :eek: !! and the choir is perfect and you have only had it a day !! :eek: :) I can't wait to hear more !!

Oneilio
06-08-2005, 11:30 AM
wow very nice. The choirs sound great! btw what software are you using for the strings? they didn't really sound like ewql, so i was just curious. good job!

mikosworld
06-08-2005, 11:36 AM
INCREDIBLE !!!! :D

Great job !!!

Dogforester
06-08-2005, 11:45 AM
:confused: I thought it was a real orchestra ? maybe I'm stupid. :)

Bernard Asselin
06-08-2005, 12:06 PM
It was a real orchestra or maybe...a real orchestra?! :) Anyway, fantastic composition Thomas!

ChrisE
06-08-2005, 12:18 PM
That sounds pretty incredible :D

I'm looking forward to hearing more demos from symphonic choirs

Evan
06-08-2005, 12:21 PM
must be those PP samples..Thiomas is the man, no doubt about it :)

ToddK
06-08-2005, 12:24 PM
The choir is sounding quite nice.

But holy freakin crap!!!! That Orchestration is FANTASTIC! :eek: :eek:

Easily the best i've heard on any of the boards,
ever!!!! . If you told me it was real, i would believe it.

I'm in complete and utter awe......

What in Gods name are you doing that with!!!!! And HOW????

TK

Drew Buchan
06-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Are you Thomas J, or another Thomas.
Very good piece.

Oneilio
06-08-2005, 12:33 PM
lol if it is indeed sequenced, i think it's VSL. the strings sounded like VSL to me.

Evan
06-08-2005, 12:34 PM
thomas is too good for VSL, definantly PP samples

dinosound
06-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Very funny!
There is no way in hell that was sequenced!

Nice try though! :) :)

D

Neilfactory
06-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Great stuff!!!
So, i don't understand, is a real orchestra?

Impressive.

Neil.

Christian Marcussen
06-08-2005, 01:23 PM
ummm... nice

must be a real orchestra layered with the choir?!?!?!?!?

right?

ChrisE
06-08-2005, 01:28 PM
ummm... nice

must be a real orchestra layered with the choir?!?!?!?!?

right?

thats what i thought...

chocothrax
06-08-2005, 01:35 PM
That's not Thomas J...rofl

Oneilio
06-08-2005, 01:42 PM
what are "PP" samples?

chocothrax
06-08-2005, 01:44 PM
PP is Project Prague, a custom library that some people who were unsatisfied with commercial libraries made. This demo here I guess is real orchestra.

tchoyy
06-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Yes, it is very impressive !!

Neil and Christian => he said :

"there are only two real singers mixed in a little (really only one and a half REAL singers, since one of them was me!)"

So it is symphonic choir with 2 real singers :)

ToddK
06-08-2005, 01:45 PM
I REALLY want to know at this point,

ARE THOSE SAMPLES OR A REAL ORCH????? :confused: :confused:

TK

chocothrax
06-08-2005, 01:54 PM
It's real. :)

ToddK
06-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me Chocothrax :p

I'm extremely relieved. ;) I thought i might have been dreaming or something.

Those strings and winds are just too sweet. :cool:

TK

IvanP
06-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Wow excellent composition... is it all yours? (orchestration, etc...)? what is it for?

Congrats,

Iván

legofred
06-08-2005, 02:42 PM
It's real.
How do you know? It was a real orchestra?
When I started playing the track I just thought the whole thing was kind of a joke. It sounded too realistic. But then there was the choirs at the end. I'm confused... Was that EWQLSC put on top of a real recording? THomas, please confirm. I feel a little dumb.

neoTypic
06-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Wow, those choirs sound most excellent!

Nick Phoenix
06-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Great, great piece. The orchestra sounds real. The choir blends really well.

G.Jouan
06-09-2005, 12:33 AM
Amazing... You must be Thomas Bergersen, aren't you? ;)

wardran
06-09-2005, 02:37 AM
A perfect example how great the choirs sound. :)

YuHIrà
06-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Good morning everybody.

I'm here because a link to this work was sent on a french forum by Tchoyy. I'm just registred in order to write this message.

I listened to this work and for me, it's clear: the orchestra is real. It can't be a virtual orchestral: there are natural noises and a few melodic articulations that can't be emulated yet. :) If Thomas tell me that it's a virtual orchestral, I would think that we have just listened to a revolutionary musical work!!!

What is amazing here is the ability to mix a virtual choir and a real orchestra. We feel sometimes that the choir is a virtual one, but it remains rare: Thomas made a very good work! We have to pay a great attention to realize that it's a virtual choir. I'm sure we would not be aware of that if Thomas didn't tell us that it was EWQLSO Choir! ;)

Amazing, really...

Thomas
06-09-2005, 05:21 AM
Hey everybody! thanks for the feedback on the piece. I just got through reading the messages and I want to say a few things.

The orchestra was recorded in a studio, it is not samples. It is a small section of a piece I am producing for a vocalist. The purpose of the demo was to show Symphonic Choirs, not a virutal orchestra.

I think it shows that it is not difficult to make Symphonic Choirs sound real in a short time, and how it fits with other material, including live orchestras. It did not take very much time to make the choir parts, and most of that was playing the midi lines to sync with the free-flowing tempo of the orchestra. There are still a few spots where the transition between notes in the choir sounds artificial to me, and I think I can improve on that to make it almost impossible to tell that it is a virtual choir.

As I said, I sang along, with me and my daughter, to the Symphonic Choirs, because I wanted it to sound more human. But listening back, I realize that this didn't add a whole lot to the overall sound of the choirs, and if you are just using the "oohs" and "ahs" you don't need to sing along if you just work on the note transitions.

However, if you are using words in the choir, I think singing along will really help. I just experimented with WordBuilder and made a line or two of singing, and then sang along with it a few times. It sounds unbelievable in my opinion. With just two singers I was able to make a huge choir sound, and it is quite understandable. Singing along masks a lot of the inhuman qualities of the Symphonic Choirs, and you don't have to work as hard to tweak it. The cool thing is that with just two singers, who could not possibly create a big chorus sound, you can have quite a convincing large choir sounding like they are in a concert hall. With a little work it would be difficult to tell it was done that way. I am going to make a demo of a passage of a full SATB choir singing words in Symphonic Choirs and add just a few human voices to enhance it. I will post it in a day or two and you can tell me what you think.

This is fun. :p

Thomas

chocothrax
06-09-2005, 05:34 AM
nanan na na I was right as always.

tchoyy
06-09-2005, 05:36 AM
Nothing to say anymore..... I'm impressed......

IvanP
06-09-2005, 05:40 AM
Congrats again, Thomas, you obviously know what you do, I can't wait to hear your orchestral demos for PRO (I hope you will be getting it :D )

Iván

jralbert
06-09-2005, 09:44 AM
Extremely well done, professional work, and very subtle, restrained choral lines. Yours is the kind and quality of work I aspire to in the far distant future. :) Thanks for sharing it!

Cheers,
Jeff

DaveWalton
06-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Listening to the official demos for Platinum, I had pretty much become convinced that the difference between a real orchestra and samples had pretty much disappeared. In some cases this is true. However, it was pretty obvious to me from the start that this was too real to be samples.

I'm still convinced that in the skilled hands of some (not me), that we can fool most of the people most of the time. :-)

Thomas
06-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Dave,

I am also amazed by the realism of some of the demos of Platinum, and am a bit surprised at how much controversy my posting of the demo with a real orchestra caused here in this thread. I actually don't think it would be too hard with Platinum to get a mock-up of that score sounding pretty close to the original. It has a lot to do with what is scored in the first place to enhance realism. As for me, I use Silver, just to hear my sounds when orchestrating in Sibelius, because almost everything I do is for printed scores for live recording. But it is getting to the point where I may want start releasing some things with virtual orchestras, although I never thought I would see the day. Using Symphonic Choirs will be the first time I plan to use samples on a finished release rather than just as a mock-up tool for scoring. :cool:

Hardy Heern
06-09-2005, 01:22 PM
I can't hear this perfectly as the MP3 is distorting. Anyone else getting this?

Frank

Magpie
06-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Excellent !!!

Thanks for posting Thomas :cool:

chocothrax
06-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Listening to the official demos for Platinum, I had pretty much become convinced that the difference between a real orchestra and samples had pretty much disappeared.

What have you been smoking and where can I get some? :D

YuHIrà
06-10-2005, 02:33 AM
As I said, I sang along, with me and my daughter, to the Symphonic Choirs, because I wanted it to sound more human. But listening back, I realize that this didn't add a whole lot to the overall sound of the choirs, and if you are just using the "oohs" and "ahs" you don't need to sing along if you just work on the note transitions.

I like the way you chose to make your choirs real. I think that using real soli voices with massive virtual choirs is the best way to make the choirs sound more human. It's the same thing for virtual orchestra. If you use soli instruments (like a violin), the virtual orchestra is likely to sound less virtual... Thus, I think that synthetic layers are more interesting when they are mixed with real instruments.

Do you use chorus effect for soli real voices? Do you prefer repeat the same parts but lightly dephased? Or do you prefer the soli real voices as they are?

Thank you for your answer! And congratulations for your good job!

bmiranda
06-10-2005, 02:36 AM
Yep, i also thought it was a real orchestra because you can hear a few "portamento" played in strngs. Definitely "Portamento" patches are not available in EWQLSO (unfortunately!!).

tchoyy
06-10-2005, 02:52 AM
What is "portamento" ? :D

Kayamb
06-10-2005, 03:05 AM
Using Symphonic Choirs will be the first time I plan to use samples on a finished release rather than just as a mock-up tool for scoring.

I guess lots of choirs members will need to find another job soon.... :)

More and more productions don't use real orchestras anymore, or at least tend to minimize their use. I guess that in a not-so-long time, no more musicians will be hired, or maybe just a bunch to build some other samples libraries.

Because, Platinum might not be "real" for the finest ears, but no doubt that EW and other companies will some day make THE perfect library, considering the constant improvement of computers (and EW's talents of courses :p ).

All the instruments will end up in a museum, so our grand children may not forget that at a time, real people were playing real instruments ;)

tchoyy
06-10-2005, 04:43 AM
More and more productions don't use real orchestras anymore, or at least tend to minimize their use. I guess that in a not-so-long time, no more musicians will be hired, or maybe just a bunch to build some other samples libraries.

Aaahhh, money, money, money......
The less we use real orchestra, the less we pay....

Thomas
06-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Do you use chorus effect for soli real voices? Do you prefer repeat the same parts but lightly dephased? Or do you prefer the soli real voices as they are?

Thank you for your answer! And congratulations for your good job!

No there is no effect on the human voices except compression. I specifically wanted to use the hall effect of Symphonic Choirs for the reverb sound. That way you have no articicial reverb, just the real thing. I just posted another demo using two singers singing words with Symphonic Choirs. That one also has no reverb on the live voices. Using a blend of the Surround, Full and Close samples, I was able to make the Symphonic Choirs my "reverb" for the live voices, in effect. I did not electronically double any voice, but just sang the parts several times and hard panned them so that there was clarity of each solo voice sticking out a bit on purpose.

YuHIrà
06-13-2005, 01:59 AM
Thank You Thomas ;)

I think it's a good idea ;)