PDA

View Full Version : Gold, Silver, SD, and Indian Tablas

DaveWalton
06-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Hi,

Here is a short underscore written for a small film company in Mumbai, India. The scene was described as "a free spirit in great turmoil comes to terms with the consequences of her actions".

Anyway, uses Gold (strings), Silver (piano), Stormdrum, Virtual Guitar, Atmosphere, Stylus RMX, and Pure Tablas.

Kind of a modern orchestral/electronica style supported by tabla rhythms.

Enjoy!

Dave

www.DaveWaltonMusic.com/MyMusic/MomentOfDespair.mp3 (http://www.DaveWaltonMusic.com/MyMusic/MomentOfDespair.mp3)

awpmusic
06-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Nice! Where on the planet are you and how do you manage to get work from a film company in India? Well done.

DaveWalton
06-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Nice! Where on the planet are you and how do you manage to get work from a film company in India? Well done.

Marketing, marketing, marketing.

I'm 48, used to play full time in the mid-70's to early-80's. Started writing software and eventually ran my own small software development company for 12 years. After a 20 year absence from music I was bit again by the music bug and started again at the beginning of 2004. This time I'm persuing film/television music, have great technology, and most importantly, the internet.

Finding clients (in any business) has more to do with marketing than with how good you actually are. Every day I send out (via mail or email) demos, or requests to submit demos. Probably 3 to 5 each day. I use Google to do my main searches (film companies, post-production, music supervisors, music libraries). If a site has a trailer where I think I could do a better job on the music or especially if the trailer has no music at all, I'll take the time to write a score to the trailer, use something simple like the free Microsoft Movie Maker, make a new trailer with my music and send it to them. That usually makes a pretty big impression - doesn't always bring immediate results. But I've made a friend that I can continue to check in with from time to time. A lot of times I can also get permission from them to use the trailer in my marketing efforts. That goes a long way, sending links to prospective clients to trailers with my music rather than just music.

I follow any links they might have on their respective sites. That leads me to more sites and more people that might not turn up in the search engines. Also, there are books and publications (like 2005 Songwriters Guide - something like that) that list these kinds of places, what they're looking for, and how to contact them.

Bottom line is that you have to take off your "musician" hat and put on your "guy running a business" hat for a fair portion of each day.

I live in Cape Girardeau, Missouri (USA). It's a small college town of about 40,000 people located halfway between St. Louis, Missouri and Memphis, Tennesee. Not exactly the center of the entertainment universe. Living in LA would be the ideal situation. But since that's not possible, living in cyberspace is the next best thing. :-)

Dave

drew
06-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Dave,

You sound a lot like me - about the same age, music for fun when I was young, wrote software to make money, now back to music for fun(and profit maybe).

You are absolutely right, marketing is the key if you want to make money with this. I'm sure you've seen great software go down because of poor marketing and support and this business is no different. Even if you think it is crap, you've got to deliver what your client wants, when they want it.

Congrats on the gig. Very nice work, had a cool, subdued groove to it. My only comment is that the cymbal swells tended to take my ear away from overall mood - maybe they were mixed a tad too high or too many of them. Just my very humble opinion.

AndyFinkenstadt
06-09-2005, 12:50 PM
I live in Cape Girardeau, Missouri (USA). It's a small college town of about 40,000 people located halfway between St. Louis, Missouri and Memphis, Tennesee. Not exactly the center of the entertainment universe.

Cool! A neighbor! I fare from Saint Louis area.

If you're ever in the area, drop me a line - we can do lunch/dinner sometime.

DaveWalton
06-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Cool! A neighbor! I fare from Saint Louis area.

If you're ever in the area, drop me a line - we can do lunch/dinner sometime.

That would be cool. Same here if you get down to Cape. I see from looking at some of your posts that you have Symphonic Choirs? I'm green with envy.

mikosworld
06-10-2005, 03:26 AM
Great job !!! I like that ! :)

DallasComposer
06-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Excellent piece Dave, music that leads the mind to visualize (since I'm not looking at the film), which for your application of it, it should. I agree totally with your note on marketing and like you and Andy, Iím around the same age and recently returned to music after years in the corporate world. I was fortunate enough and went into to doing animation and multimedia work, just transferred my creative energies into a different medium, now transferring it back and combining both.

I like the music, the right touch of Indian, minimalist harmonic/melodic treatment and ambiences flowing around to set a mood.

dh

Kayamb
06-10-2005, 09:11 PM
That's a very nice piece!

I particularly like the tablas, although they sound a bit "electronic" to me, am I wrong?
I like this electronic feeling anyway :)

On the downside, I think you should turn up the volume of the master. Indeed I had to turn up my speakers a lot to enjoy your music.

Question: What did you use for the guitar sound?

Keep up!!

neoTypic
06-11-2005, 06:03 AM
Very awesome track bud! Love the tabla fills. *grin*

Always love electronica added to orchestrations too - wish I had an ear for it myself! :D

DaveWalton
06-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Thanks again to everyone for listening (and the kinds words). :-)

The tablas are from a loop collection called "Pure Tablas". You're hearing them without any processing or added reverb. I think it's just the way the loops themselves were recorded.

The guitar is from Steinberg Virtual Guitar. Not the dedicated Electric Guitar package, just the standard package which has both acoustic and electric. It's very useful but is buggy and Steinberg hasn't bothered to update it or release any bug fixes. I see that there are some alternatives coming on the market. Those would be worth checking out.