PDA

View Full Version : My first demos...

Ranietz
06-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Hi.

I'm a beginner at this whole orchestral thing but I've put some of my first demos out on the web.

A short description of the tracks:

1. The Search For Gold: http://sforfa.home.online.no/TheSearchForGold.mp3
I made this for the EWQLSO "live" contest last year. EWQLSO Silver only.

2. Short Demo: http://sforfa.home.online.no/ShortDemo.mp3
A demo with two separate clips. Used EWQLSO Silver and Stormdrum.

3. Plissken's Theme: http://sforfa.home.online.no/Plissken.mp3
(Did not use any EWQL products but I'll post it anyway if thats ok) FM7 only, except the drums wich are some old soundfonts. Slightly inspired by the movies "Escape from N.Y." and "Escape form L.A." by John Carpenter.

4. Forest Theme : http://sforfa.home.online.no/ForestTheme.mp3
A track for a small RPG game I made. Uses EWQLSO Silver and Stormdrum.

I'm currently having a bit of a "writers block", so I hope that some feedback of those demos will get me going again. :)

-Ranietz-

Sean R. Beeson
06-09-2005, 03:44 PM
What I have typically done in the past to get over writers block, is explore something new. Try to experience either a new kind of music, or enviroment. Try somethign you have nevr tried before :)!
it helps me feel a little more relaxed too, which can sometiems helps you overcome writers block.

I will listen to the demos more closely later and give some constructive critiques.

Sean

DallasComposer
06-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Listening as I write.

Good stuff.

I went right for the Plissken.mp3 because you said it was FM7 and I wanted to hear something different than the usual orchestral fare. Reminds me of Tangerine Dream, maybe they did that, don't remember, I know they did some soundtracks. I wanted to hear it more distorted and messed up, but good as it is I guess. I'm digging on Forrest now.

I usually go between phases, when I get writer's block I go and spend time learning more about music, usually what I may be blocking over or learn more tech stuff. A professor once told me, you must write everyday, inspiration or not, don't wait for the gods to come. I try and adhere to that, note I said try. :)

I like forrest, kinda Celtic tasting without making me want to drink a Guinness stout.

dh

Ranietz
06-09-2005, 04:38 PM
@ Sean: Thanks, I'll try that. And I'm looking forward to hearing you constructive critique... :)

@ DallasComposer: Thanks for the tips. Tangerine Dreams did not make the music for the "Escape..." movies if that's what you meant. I think John Carpenter (the director) made the music himself, with a little help from someone I can't remember the name of...

Thanks again both of you... :)

-Ranietz-

Sean R. Beeson
06-09-2005, 04:39 PM
One thing my professors did was give assignment like compositional stlyes. For example, my friend was assigned once to write music based off of what he would hear if he were being chased by "Radio-active, killer rainforest spider monkeys." He not only decided to research into different kinds of music, but had fun while learning.

Sean

Sean R. Beeson
06-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Tangerine Dream did the soundtack for an old flm starring Tom Cruise. I can't think of the name, but it is a great film and soundtrack.

Sean

Ranietz
06-09-2005, 04:46 PM
One thing my professors did was give assignment like compositional stlyes. For example, my friend was assigned once to write music based off of what he would hear if he were being chased by "Radio-active, killer rainforest spider monkeys." He not only decided to research into different kinds of music, but had fun while learning.

Sean

Hehe. Thanks, I'll have to try that too. :D

-Ranietz-

DallasComposer
06-09-2005, 05:30 PM

Sean

Interesting, been reading a book of writings, essays and interviews on/by Phillip Glass (one of me fav's) and he talks about his compositional studies in Paris he did and how realized after all the studies and exercises she gave him, it all came down to defining style, developing his own. What makes composers differ is thier style. But now uchmmm .... "Radio-active, killer rainforest spider monkeys." that's just freaky!! :o good stuff Sean!

Good stuff Ranietz, I'm not much for giving unsolicited detailed critiques except when I give my own to myself. :o

dh

mikosworld
06-10-2005, 03:31 AM
Very good stuff Ranietz :)

Ranietz
06-10-2005, 04:51 AM
Thanks DallasComposer and mikosworld. :)

-Ranietz-

Brian Wardell
06-10-2005, 06:07 AM
I'm really enjoying Plissken's Theme, I've listened to it several times now. :D

Ranietz
06-10-2005, 07:17 AM
I'm really enjoying Plissken's Theme, I've listened to it several times now. :D

Thanks. I remember that I bought "Komplete 2" with the FM7 synth just so I could finish Plissken's Theme... :)

-Ranietz-

Kayamb
06-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Ranietz,

Congratulations for your work. It's even more impressive if you say your a beginner with those libraries.

I love "Short Demo", too bad it's so short, doh! ;)

I like Plissken as well. I think the Drum are too low in the mix though.

Good job!

Ranietz
06-11-2005, 04:14 AM
Ranietz,

Congratulations for your work. It's even more impressive if you say your a beginner with those libraries.

I love "Short Demo", too bad it's so short, doh! ;)

I like Plissken as well. I think the Drum are too low in the mix though.

Good job!

Thanks Kayamb.

Most of those demos I made about a year ago, when I had little or no experience with EWQLSO Silver. I'm learning more everyday. :)

-Ranietz-