PDA

View Full Version : help with a piece please?

Evan
06-09-2005, 11:38 PM
hi guys im writing this piece and i'm not quit sure how I should continue it, Ive tried several ideas and non seem to work..i was hoping i could get some "emotional" suggestions on what you guys feels should come next..happy, sad, ext.

Also I need help coming up with a name, The thing is i didnt really have any direction when i started this, i just felt like writing something..

Help anyone? :)

http://www.evangamble.com/music/nothus-a-um.mp3

edit- i fixed the link that now has my title

ToddK
06-09-2005, 11:57 PM
This site is acting wierd right now.

The soundsonline page wont load up all the way. Im not sure
what's up.

Cant get your link to work.

TK

Liam
06-10-2005, 12:18 AM
Hi Evan,

I like where this piece is going. I kind of saw the first half of it as maybe opening credits for something like Harry Potter. I could see it maybe breaking down after the build up at the end into something dark and brooding if you were to continue it. I like the fact that you asked what "emotional" direction it should go in. I think that is so much more important than what technical direction, or style it should follow. Emotion first, everything else 2nd. :)
As far as a name. Hmm, something dark yet a bit whimsicle. "Spellbound" came to mind for some reason.

Great piece! Looking forward to hearing more!

P.S. I think its really cool when someone invites you into their own creative process, and values other peoples opinions. Now thats what this forum is about!

Liam

ToddK
06-10-2005, 12:27 AM
I dont understand how you got the link to work.

The site is unavailable. I shortened the link to get to Evans
music folder, and i still cant download anything.

How did you download that piece? I dont get it...

TK

Liam
06-10-2005, 12:34 AM
Hey Todd,

Thats weird, I just played it again now with the original link. It seems to be working fine here....you never know with servers though. Could be going in and out tonight.

Liam

Mills2k
06-10-2005, 11:27 AM
I like :D! I echo the wizard thing, though it seems also a lot like a mad scientist to me. I'll also echo the title music statement. Reminds me of the beginning to Edward Scissorhands... at least, that's if I recall the music correctly! And if I don't, this could be that beginning ;) .

That said, artistically, to me at least, it seems like it should settle into something calm and subdued, peaceful almost. Slower, less forceful, coming out of that crash. Or if you want to keep a similarly grim mood, something creepy with sparse percussion or something, really echo-ey. That's what I'm imagining at least (geez... why can't I do this for my own music?!).

For a title? Words that come to mind include "Grim" and "Tinker"... "The Grim Tinkerer"? hahaha! I dunno... the "Spellbound" title seems almost to fit, but it doesn't connote the... evilness or mysteriousness of what's going on in the music, I don't think...

P.S. The download seems to be working...

lil-man
06-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Why continue it? It stands pretty well on it's own. If I were using it for opening credits, I would have faded to black on the very last attack, and let it die out before any visuals come onscreen.

I like it as is.

Mills2k
06-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Actually, I meant to say something to that same effect lil-man, when I first heard it... I do think it's pretty good as standalone, and don't really think it NEEDS to go on. It depends on how long you want the piece to be though, and what you're gonna use it for.

Steve Karl
06-10-2005, 01:48 PM
It's really nice as it is.

My idea is to look at it like a chase scene.
The last gong hit is where the car goes off the cliff and the film goes into slow motion
but the driver totally disassociates from the event and looks into the sky.

Strings fade in ( or maybe a solo oboe ) ... Like a dream. No defined rhythm. Break away from the previous rhythm
and meter.
Wash through some chords. Use that as a transition and move into some other
mood.

Just a first impression.

Good work on this. Thanks for posting.

Steve

Evan
06-11-2005, 12:14 AM
thanks for the help everyone so far..i think what im going to do next with it is do the no-meter idea and try to make it dark and pretty at the same time..eh? I definantly want to continue it because I need to develope that theme stated in the beggining...its like an undeveloped character. Once I break the piece down to a meterless dark/pretty thing, i think ill bring it back up and re-state the theme in full glory.

As for a title I like the idea of spellbound but not the way spellbound actually sounds..something that is majestic and dark..Ill have to think about it further. Why cant i come up with cool names like Don davis.."saw bitch workhorse" YEAH! :)

thanks for the help so far..keep em coming if anyone has anything further to add! :cool:

ChrisE
06-15-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm having the same problem as Toddk :confused:

Tried your other links too, and no luck.

scarr
06-15-2005, 10:33 AM
I'm not able to get your site to come up at all. Could you have exceeded bandwidth for the month or something?

Evan
06-15-2005, 04:21 PM
i just downloaded them, anyone else having problems?

MusicFan
06-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Whoa! This is an EXCELLENT piece, Evan! While there is BIG potential to expand on it, it truly is very effective as is! I love that great climactic finish. Congratulations!

I am a newcomer to EWQSL and I am curious to know: which version did you use to compose this? Silver or Gold (or Platinum!)?

...MusicFan...

Evan
06-18-2005, 05:37 AM
thanks alot musicfan, this is all EWQL gold. I tried expanding on it but nothing seemed to work out quit as well... :(

Maybe ill get some ideas later

josejherring
06-20-2005, 11:31 AM
thanks alot musicfan, this is all EWQL gold. I tried expanding on it but nothing seemed to work out quit as well... :(

Maybe ill get some ideas later

Don't give up hope young Evan Gamble.

Expanding the piece comes down to knowing what your phrases are, and what your motives are. Once you analyze that then you'll be able to expand it quite easily.

Phrase construction and motive developement are the only things this piece is missing. The orchestration is great. You've come a long way on your sequencing chops and the production is pretty good too. It's the developement of the ideas that's lacking. Musical construction is the key to writing longer pieces.

But, I like what you're doing. The dark thematic stuff sounds really good. Get and read that schoenberg book we talked about months ago. That will help. If you have any problems understanding it just let me know. I'll help you out.

Jose

Evan
06-20-2005, 10:17 PM
just to make sure we were talking about the fundamentals of music composition right? Like thies... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0571092764/104-0286123-0000710?v=glance

josejherring
06-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Yeah, that's the one.

Jose

Evan
06-20-2005, 10:48 PM
just bought it..thanks jose!

josejherring
06-20-2005, 11:10 PM
No problem.

Like I said it's an advanced read. Make sure you have a good dictionary to hand both music and regular english. There's a lot of big words in it. But there's also a lot of examples.

If you get hung up just let me know.

Jose

Evan
06-29-2005, 10:35 PM
hey I got the book in today, you were right about it being an advanced it..its pretty funny really. Since he is fluent in German and wrote it in English, he tended to make up words, took 4 revisions to make it to the final version. But the knowlegde itself is of course perserved. Thanks for the suggestion, Ill definantly take you up on that offer most likely for help with it too! :)

josejherring
06-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Take it a chapter at a time. Make sure you understand each section before you move on. Look up any words that might block your understanding and make sure you understand the examples.

Using these techniques is a bit awkward at first and some you'll like and some you won't but if you can get it with practice you'll see your compositions start to advance rather rapidly.

Especially useful is the breakdown of motive to phrase to theme. I use that all the time and it bails me out when I get stuck. Remember to use them as tools and not as god given rules and you'll be fine.

Jose