PDA

View Full Version : Rossini Gold

Craig_L
04-08-2005, 09:26 AM
I wanted to test out the fast strings in Gold so did this bit of Rossini fun. It's pretty flawed - I didn't use any CD's for direct comparison - sort of a 'robust' interpretation.

Maybe it's a help for people trying to decide on the library who have an interest in Classical - I hope it's not a deterrent.

http://users.senet.com.au/~duoartc/Rossini.mp3

I look forward to the Gold Pro update and the new repetition samples, hoping they can improve the realism.

Craig

josejherring
04-08-2005, 11:02 AM
I think it sounded great man. It would sound better I think with Platinum of course. The only thing missing is the detail in the fast notes that I think could be gotten by mixing in the close mic positions.

Maybe you can send the midi files over to Nick so that he can post a Platinum version of this. It's really quite good. The Sequencing is top notch.

Cheers,

Jose

Craig_L
04-08-2005, 11:31 PM
I think it sounded great man. It would sound better I think with Platinum of course. The only thing missing is the detail in the fast notes that I think could be gotten by mixing in the close mic positions.

Maybe you can send the midi files over to Nick so that he can post a Platinum version of this. It's really quite good. The Sequencing is top notch.

Cheers,

Jose

Thanks Jose. Yes, a little more detail would be good in those strings. I might try and redo it by adding a few of the close mike artics.

Really needs those new machine gun artics that are in the Pro Upgrade. This is certainly the piece to test them on. ;)

Craig

Craig_L
04-09-2005, 06:18 AM
Hey Jose,

If you're still out there, here's a new version with some close mikes added in the string sections.

http://users.senet.com.au/~duoartc/Rossini2.mp3

Craig

neoTypic
04-09-2005, 06:30 AM
Sonically the strings sound AMAZING. Great work!

Craig_L
04-09-2005, 06:36 AM
Thanks NeoTypic - which version sounded better?

Craig

neoTypic
04-09-2005, 06:55 AM
Thanks NeoTypic - which version sounded better?

Craig

The second with the close mics mixed in. It definitely helps the strings sound closer and clearer without just making them louder in the mix. The beauty of mic positioning is readily apparent. ;)

During the string runs it helps with the "smear" I was hearing before.

amo
04-10-2005, 04:16 AM
Hi Craig_L,

I listened to the two versions, and it is true the second one is much better. A good demo for the librairy.... Good exercise.

Regards,

Amaury

josejherring
04-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Hey Jose,

If you're still out there, here's a new version with some close mikes added in the string sections.

http://users.senet.com.au/~duoartc/Rossini2.mp3

Craig

Yeah much better. I commented at the NS forum that I thought that if you added a little reverb to the strings that the close mic would blend better with the full mics. But just a little tiny, tiny bit. Try experimenting with the built in reverb of the Kompakt player.

Cheers,

Jose

pappagheno
04-11-2005, 10:02 AM
hey great work.. bravo..

just have some doubt about the sounds and dynamics.. the beginning is great then it raise but without the real dynamics.. seems like just pumping on the volume... the trumpet should arrive probably more higher.. just had.. a mechanical effect.. anyway .. great work..

maybe it could be different with the platinum ??

I always tryied to avoid comparing somethig digital with a real orchestra..sometimes is really worthless.. but ..this demo..seems promising on htat direction..

banquo
04-17-2005, 01:01 PM
woo! that was fun.

tell me, whats the name of this piece?

i really enjoyed that tbh.

Craig_L
04-19-2005, 07:03 AM
Thanks Pappagheno and Banquo. Yes, I did pump up the volume a little in Sonar when I mixed the individual tracks - got carried away. And yes, I think Platinum would give me more alternatives. What to buy, Platinum or Gold Pro? This piece really needs the Gold Pro or Platinium Pro fast machine gun strings in a few bars near the climax.

The peice started off as a just an exercise for the fast strings so I didn't put as much effort into the rest of the score.

The overture is SEMIRAMIDE.

Craig

banquo
04-19-2005, 01:35 PM
craig_L,

any chance I could get the midi file you used for this? i'd really like a look at the score [i'm waist-deep in a midi file of the overture, and i'm sure you know how screwed-up they can come out the other end of a notation program!!] So i figured "screw it i'll just ask Craig_L" :cool: :D

Craig_L
04-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Hi Banquo,

Send me your email address in a private message and I'll send it.

Craig