PDA

View Full Version : New Symphonic Choir Demo with Words

Thomas
06-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Here’s a demo of my first attempt at using Symphonic Choirs to sing actual words with the Wordbuilder utility. It is only a rough experiment, but quite interesting in the potential it shows for SC.

I experimented with singing along with Symphonic Choirs (like my first demo) but only added two singers, (myself and my daughter). We sang each part a few times. I was trying to get the biggest sound possible with only two real singers. I think the results are not bad considering that I am learning the program and experimenting.

The whole piece is here: (the choir comes in about half way)

http://home.comcast.net/~vobmusic/Prayer_for_America.mp3

To hear how much of the mix is Symphonic Choirs, - here is a section with only the Symphonic Choirs (in the same balance as the full mix – only the humans are muted)

http://home.comcast.net/~vobmusic/Just_Symphonic_Choirs.mp3

To hear what the human voices are adding – here is the same section with the Symphonic Choirs muted:

http://home.comcast.net/~vobmusic/Just_Humans.mp3

Here is a solo of just the voices (Human and Symphonic Choirs) without instruments, to hear what a blend of SC with two humans sounds like:

http://home.comcast.net/~vobmusic/All_Voices_Solo.mp3

Obviously to make this work it would take a lot more time, but I just wanted someone to hear what can be done rather quickly. If I take time to make the Symphonic Choirs sing with better pronunciation and add swells, dynamics and other things, I think I could make this sound pretty real. At the moment it is obvious that it is a virtual instrument, (especially at the end which I didn’t have time to do anything except type in the words and hit auto learn and send it straight to the mix.) It also would take more time sing exactly in sync with the Symphonic Choirs, because you have to hit every consonant exactly the same – they are very obvious when you don’t – as in this solo’d mix.

Anyway it was a good trial, and a lot of fun. :p

(And please, don’t ask what samples are playing the orchestra, - it is real. The piece is one I wrote about two years ago, to a religious text, entitled “Prayer for America.” The solo was sung by my daughter, Emily, who also sang along to the soprano and alto choir parts.)

IvanP
06-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Excellent composition, Thomas!

I am quickly becoming a huge fan of yours :D

It's true that the Choirs still sound a bit metallic and unclear, but they mix very good.. and for an almost "plug and play" it is impressive... though it's true that the orchestra and your daughter bring an incredible expression and human feel!

JCL
06-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Thomas, I, too, am a huge fan of your work and have been playing your first Choirs demo over and over. What a lush sound! - both choir and orchestra. It sounded like something that was intended to be eventually developed into a full blown tone poem or choral symphony. I certainly hope so! Re: a larger choir sound. I'm wondering if there will be a technique for doubling the choir, in order to get the thick sound of a Russian or Ukrainian choir I heard several years ago called The Dumka Chorus (on an old LP). If you have ever heard this group you know what I mean. Thanks for all your good work, and your willingness to share the fascinating details of its' creation.

Doug Rogers
06-10-2005, 12:40 PM
It also would take more time sing exactly in sync with the Symphonic Choirs, because you have to hit every consonant exactly the same – they are very obvious when you don’t – as in this solo’d mix.

Anyway it was a good trial, and a lot of fun.

Thomas,

In the latest version of WordBuilder (RC10) that you can download here -

http://www.soundsonline.com/techsupport.SymphonicChoirs.shtml

- there is a new volume slider for the non pitched consonants. I think if you experiment with this, and sync the choir to your live vocalists more (or the other way around), and use some cross-fading or slurred legato to help with the transitions, it will sound much better.

However, this is a very good effort since you're only had SC for a few days.

- Doug

Oneilio
06-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Yea i think it sounds great for only a little bit of work. You should try some of those things Doug suggested and then post another version of the piece to see how realistic it can sound. But yea, great job.

G.Jouan
06-10-2005, 12:51 PM
What a nice piece! :cool:

Evan
06-10-2005, 10:56 PM
how olds your daughter?..jk ;) ..but this is a SUPERB piece!

Thomas
06-11-2005, 12:38 AM
how olds your daughter?..jk ;) ..but this is a SUPERB piece!
She's twenty-four
(and not married if that's what you're getting at)

eyes of a stranger
06-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Hi Thomas,

wow! That really sounds absolutely fantastic!!! Composition, arrangement and the integration of the choirs are great. I will receive my symphonic choirs next week (Bestservice, Germany...) I´m totally looking forward to it.

By the way - Your daughter has a brilliant voice... It´s a pleasure listening to your music.

regards,
marco

neoTypic
06-11-2005, 06:02 AM
Wow. Nice stuff bud! Thanks for the comparisson selections! :)

lovelysilence
06-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Holy Father, Thomas, what an incredible display of beauty.
I'm baffled and mesmerised. Wouldn't the choirs blend in better with the orchestra when u apply a bit of reverb? It might they sound more real too then. Just a thought.
Great piece!

Andrew Sigler
06-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Word to the wise, read all of Thomas' post before you listen!

I didn't do that and thought that his daughters wonderful voice was part of Choirs! My head popped open, my brain leaped out and ran around the room in circles.

It has since returned, no worse for wear.

Anyway, I think the piece sounds great! You should speak to regoinal/civic orchestras and perhaps a church choir to perform this. It would be great around Christmas when everybody is dong "Messiah." This piece would go over very well I think.

Nice!

Andy