PDA

View Full Version : Introducing - Pietro. Hello :)

Pietro
12-30-2006, 06:45 PM
My name is Piotr Musiał.
Birthdate: 1983.XII.24 :) (I just turned 23 week ago)

I live and study percussion in Poland. For many years I've been searching for tools, that could help my film composing ambitions. Someday someone told me about East West sample library, someday I saved money and bought SO Gold and that day became the day, my life changed. Suddenly everything became possible. (close to possible, at least :D) And it was half year ago.

I'm a selftought composer, I learn by practice. I don't listen hundreds of soundtracks and I don't study film scores every day. I love silence. I believe, best solutions are inside of us, not in scores of JW, HZ, JNH, HS or many others. If you have some knowledge already, now it's a matter of having a nice conversation with yourself, searching for agreement. And it's there. You can call it intuition. (which btw you can throw into trash can if you don't practice and work a lot :D)

I just wanted to drop a couple of words, so you could know me better. I play drums in a funky-pop band (I also write songs and arrangements for this band), and a Big Band and I love playing marimba :) My actual goal is to finish my marimba concerto and play it live. Wish me luck!

Have a good new year, everyone, and keep having fun composing :) It's a great pleasure to deal with such talented and ambitious people!

Ragingkirb
12-30-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi! Welcome!

i read all that you've said and noticed that we have many similar views. First, i study Percussion as well. Second, i also don't listen to lots of soundtracks and other music. That's the only way i know for sure that my music is "from me" and hopefully "original".

nickysnd
12-30-2006, 10:19 PM
I don't listen hundreds of soundtracks and I don't study film scores every day. I love silence. I believe, best solutions are inside of us, not in scores of JW, HZ, JNH, HS or many others.
Hello Pietro and Welcome!
I love silence too! I love music even more!!

I find your idea a bit paradoxical: how can you be a selftaught composer without listening to scores? What are you learning about composition without listening to scores? Would you care to explain a bit your learning method? I'm extremely curious to hear it.

As a marimba player, you have never listened to other marimba players? Or, if you did, now you think you know enough and have stoped listening? I hope not. I think that with composing it's the same thing. Learning composition never stops, therefore one should never cease listening very attentive to other composers' music.

"Inside us"? Nothing is inside us but what we put there. Originality is a myth. Expressing in your own way the beatiful things that have been said countless times - that's what composers do, especially film composers. Wanna say something completely new? That's the easiest thing, but unfortunately you'll fall into that deadend hole called avantgarde.

When it comes to learning composition, listening to scores is everything.

XGener8or
12-31-2006, 01:36 AM
I think he means that by listening too much to scores, we imitate them instead of create something completely new and original :) Even if we don't realize it.

nickysnd
12-31-2006, 07:31 AM
I think he means that by listening too much to scores, we imitate them instead of create something completely new and original
... Then - avantgarde? Nothing can be "completely new and original" except avantgarde. Avantgarde is easy and low, it's a cheap solution for audience haters: "Who cares if you listen" and "I am so original that no one can understand my superior music." C'mon, gimme a break... :p

Who is "imitating" who? Did Bach "imitate" Vivaldi? Did Mozart "imitate" Haydn? Did Ravel "imitate" Debussy? etc. ...

Pietro
12-31-2006, 08:28 AM
My method is very simple. I don't listen to lots of music, however - I do listen some. Most of time, simply watching movies, and not overanalyzing it. If I liked something, I stop by and listen again - say "wow, nice!" and move on - that's it. Then, when I'll need some trick - what I've observed some day will come naturaly - in my own way. Somehow it really works for me :)

Just look at Charles Ives - he was totally classically trained, he didn't know any of modern music (he probably didn't know it existed - that's what I've been tought). And look how original style he has developed that way.

I believe it's an individual thing to find your way. Mine is watching myself.

PS. As a matter of fact, I don't think avantgarde is new and original anymore ;)

Phantom
12-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Hi Pietro and welcome

I am also 23 :D Almost 24 ;)

I too am self-taught. Never had any lessons nor classes to play/study an instrument. How much I wish I had though. But still, I learn a new thing everyday.

I get my inspiration from my favourite composers. I have lots and lots of soundtrack scores.
Hans Zimmer and Klaus Badelt being my favourites.

I think it is good that you don't listen to much, but instead, follow your own way to compose.

You are also very fortunate to play the drums. Its advantage is 'timing', which IMO is most important and should help you further your knowledge of composing and I am sure you will be doing great stuff with SO Gold.

Best wishes and Happy New Year

Ezra

Phantom
12-31-2006, 09:38 AM
Oh, and Happy Birthday :)

nickysnd
12-31-2006, 09:44 AM
My method is very simple. I don't listen to lots of music, however - I do listen some. Most of time, simply watching movies, and not overanalyzing it. If I liked something, I stop by and listen again - say "wow, nice!" and move on - that's it. Then, when I'll need some trick - what I've observed some day will come naturaly - in my own way. Somehow it really works for me :)

Just look at Charles Ives - he was totally classically trained, he didn't know any of modern music (he probably didn't know it existed - that's what I've been tought). And look how original style he has developed that way.

I believe it's an individual thing to find your way. Mine is watching myself.

PS. As a matter of fact, I don't think avantgarde is new and original anymore ;)
Now I get it. Thanks for clarifying! I think we are saying the same thing in different ways. ;)

I just don't care much of "my own voice" thing - I just take it for granted, it is built in me already, it's the only thing I don't have to look for. But there's a lot of craft out there that has to be acquired in order to expand my vocabulary, that's why I continuously listen to the masters.

So - everyone already has his own voice, we just differ in our vocabulary abilities, and in our grammar skills. Music is a very complex language that is never mastered enough. When a composer stops learning, he's a dead composer (in one sense or another :) )

fongi
01-01-2007, 05:10 AM
Hi Pietro welcome, Iīve heard some of your music sounds good !

Pietro
01-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys, pleasure to meet you! :)

And about that:
You are also very fortunate to play the drums. Its advantage is 'timing', which IMO is most important and should help you further your knowledge of composing and I am sure you will be doing great stuff with SO Gold.
It's great to be a percussionist, but sometimes there are some problems, when it comes to make a proper mix - I mean "Lets make that snare drum a little bit louder!" and then "Aah, and the timpani part is too quiet, let's give 'em HELL!" or "There's not enough devil in the bass drum, show them no mercy!". If the sound of bass drum or timpani could kill, I would probably exterminate the whole planet :D

And when it comes to play in the orchestra, timings of other sections are breaking our brains :p

nickysnd
01-05-2007, 03:25 PM
As a matter of fact, I don't think avantgarde is new and original anymore ;)
Avantgarde is and will always be new and original, IMO.

But, I don't know what you call avantgarde. I call avantgarde a mental attitude that lead to some sound experiments made with the intention to be original. I can't even call it music. Therefore, me thinks that avantgarde has the monopoly of originality - nothing is original except avantgarde.

Thinking that "originality is desirable" is a very original thought, the premise and the leading path towards that cul-de-sac called avantgarde.

Anybody here thinking he/she writes original music? :)

Nash
01-27-2007, 07:01 AM
Hey Pietro,

Sorry for my late response, I didnít even realize that I didnít wish you welcome yet.:o
So, WELCOME MY FRIEND! :D

nikolas
02-27-2007, 04:03 AM
hehe...

Welcome Pietro! :)

Hope you're enjoying your time here. And in other forums as well ;)

Jacob Falling
03-07-2007, 09:03 PM
"Not enough devil in the bass drum"

Heh-heh... sounds like a good title for your autobiography....

pietro7050@verizon.net
03-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi Pietro,
my name's Pietro too.
Glad to meet you.

Pietro
03-08-2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks for warm welcome, everyone!

I hope we'll learn how to be damn geniuses here :D

My name is Piotr actually, but I like wearing "Pietro" as nick. (when the idea's born, I even didn't know, it's italian version of my name)
Jacob, I feel quite a connection to your signature...

Have fun composing! And feel free to ask if you have some percussion/drums question :)
- Piotr

Jacob Falling
03-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Hm... since you offered...

I'm working on a symphonic rock opera and am struggling a bit with the drum lines (among other things)...

I use Drumkit from Hell 2, whose samples are basically dry. What's your feeling on mixing drums, specifically the use of eq and compression?

btw, I like the polish spelling of your name... I have a friend from Poland named Katarzyna, who shortened her name to Kasia to keep from tutoring everyone in pronunciation. :)

Oh... nice cropping of your photo, also.

Pietro
10-09-2007, 07:18 AM
Hello everybody,

I just wanted to announce that I've just received my diploma and now I'm officialy Master of Arts Percussionist :)

YAY!

- Piotr

manieves
10-09-2007, 08:18 AM
congrats :)

nikolas
10-09-2007, 08:31 AM
WOW!

Congrats man! How about a recording of the recital? ;)

Pietro
10-09-2007, 09:24 AM

I can't remember if it was recorded (should be, I think. I'm sure first recital was). But I think, I've got a short video recording of my performance of E. Kopetzky's Concerto for Marimba with String Orchestra (hell of a modern music) in concert hall of Arthur Rubinstein Philharmonic. I'll post it if you are interested :) (don't expect a spectacular recording thought)

- Piotr