PDA

View Full Version : Erik from Central Texas

kingerock
01-22-2007, 02:27 PM
My name is Erik and I'm from Central Texas. I'm a lifelong musician that's always dreamed of writing and composing. I got a copy of Finale back in '95 and have dabbled in it from time to time, but never anything 'major.' I did score an original Christmas play at our church when I was 19 called 'Nativity.' I played and sequenced the entire thing on a Yamaha W5 keyboard. It was very fulfilling. But I just put it down after that and became a the church's pianist.

A long story short, almost a year ago I stumbled upon the EQSO and almost passed out that midi orchestration has come so far. So I naturally became re-energized about writing and composing again. I purchased both the EWSO Silver and StormDrum and I've done 2 very minor projects with those and Cubase LE on my home PC.

I've decided to dedicate this year to my composing. I was considering buying the gold or platinum EWSO, but I figured I would use this year to push myself to sticking with it, and at the end of the year i've met my goals, then I'll spend more money on the libraries. I did buy a Mac and Cubase 4 Studio to dedicate it to composing. My setup now is:

Mac G4 Quicksilver Dual 1Ghz, 1.5 GB Ram, 250 GB system drive, 320 GB external USB 2.0 drive.
Edirol FA-101 Firewire Audio Interface
M-Audio Keystation 49e
M-Audio StudioPro 4 Monitors
Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic Preamp
Line 6 Pod 2.0 guitar processor
Korg AX10G Acoustic guitar preamp
EWSO Silver Edition
StormDrum
Cubase 4 Studio
GarageBand 3
GarageBand Symphony Orchestra JamPack
GarageBand World Music JamPack
Finale Songwriter 2005

It's a hodgepodge of equipment and software, but I'm getting it organized and i'm 'gameplanning' now, but the plan now is...

1. Online software training with Grooveboxmusic.com for Cubase
2. Take the Music for the Media Study Course
3. ??? (offer my services for food :-) )

After that I hope that I can start excepting offers to work for free and get my feet wet scoring and composing for, well, anything that I can find! I know you guys don't want this long story, but I needed to get it down on 'paper' and posted so I can get going with my 2007 goals. I don't know if I'll finish the Music for the Media Course by the end of the year, but I would like to. Either way, I'm going to stick with it and hopefully apply it well to the next stage of my life. I have no aspirations to be rich and famous, just living out a dream. If all I ever do is compose for free projects and church plays, i'll be happy to be doing what I love.

fongi
01-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi Erik ! nice to have you here, you´ll have a lot of fun for sure, I´m half way through the Music for Media course and must say it´s pretty good but a lot of work, you´ll need lot´s of free time to get through it. Have fun Chris :D

kingerock
01-23-2007, 04:36 PM
i figured it would be a lot of work and challenging, but I really want something that will challenge me and drive me! Tivo off and Cubase on! :)

Andrew Sigler
01-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Central Texas is a big place, but get in touch if you're ever in Austin.

:D

Scott31
01-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Hello and welcome! We're not too far away, being in Phoenix myself. Congrats on your new musical energy - new toys are ALWAYS nice too!!!

Best of luck,

Nash
01-27-2007, 05:37 AM
Good day Texas… How is the weather over there? In Perth is very warm these days 42 C degrees plus few beers. ;)
Welcome to forum Erik