PDA

View Full Version : Composer Wanted for Candian Feature

logan_castle
01-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Hey there, my name is Nathan Childs and Im looking for a composer to work with me on my feature film "Different Shades of Grey" a thriller/drama. Its kind of an experimental piece, mostly improrv dialogue and interesting camera angles, but Im looking for a composer who can really make a scene come to life with their music.

The film is practically no budget, so anybody interested must be willing to work for the credit and will get full rights to there score after the picture is finished. As well I plan to do several pictures after this, so if things work out well with the composer we can hopefully work together again soon!

Thanks for checking this out and I look forward to hearing from everyone!!

Nathan

fongi
01-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi Nathan, Ive been down this road before so its not for me but Im sure someone will bite and respond to your above advertisement! :rolleyes:

Nash
01-27-2007, 05:39 AM
Is this introduction? :rolleyes:

StuartFox
06-28-2007, 07:05 AM
Hey there, my name is Nathan Childs and Im looking for a composer to work with me on my feature film "Different Shades of Grey" a thriller/drama. Its kind of an experimental piece, mostly improrv dialogue and interesting camera angles, but Im looking for a composer who can really make a scene come to life with their music.

The film is practically no budget, so anybody interested must be willing to work for the credit and will get full rights to there score after the picture is finished. As well I plan to do several pictures after this, so if things work out well with the composer we can hopefully work together again soon!

Nathan

I'd be interested in having a look at your project. I'm the composer from the feature film "Freak Out" ( http://www.amazon.ca/Freak-Out-Christian-James/dp/B000H1RFUK/ref=sr_1_3/701-3405105-8375552?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1183039473&sr=8-3 )

Also, more of my work is here - www.goodsounds.co.uk

Thanks

nickysnd
06-28-2007, 04:58 PM

Nathan
I don't quite understand the terms of the deal. So you, the film maker, you get original music for your film, and the composer gets what? You are offering credits? I don't think you have the option NOT to give credits, that would be against the copyright law. Full rights? You can't get any rights without paying, so, again, you don't have the option NOT to give full rights. Actually you are giving nothing, for you got nothing to give. So what remains from your offer? Promises? You surely have some nerves to ask someone to work for promises. What makes you think that composers are in great need of promises? I personally don't need you and your film to make music for free. So, besides promises, what would you think that will make me want to spend my time on your film?

Maverick
06-28-2007, 05:04 PM

Nathan

Hey Nathan, I thought I was your composer for this project? What happened with that?

- Rick.

nikolas
06-28-2007, 05:15 PM
We had this discussion before with Nathan... In the same forum.

If I remember correctly there is tiny budget (if any), and all actors are not paid, and the equipment are his.

Now the only thing to assume and ask (the right way really) is this: What happens after the movie is released, or done, Nathan?

If you are doing it to show your family, then by all means have a free composer. If you are doing it so you can build your portfolio then by all means again. If you are searching though for funding, or producer, or whatever else to actually make some money of the film, then by all means the composer should also be compensated.

you do need to realise that over here at SOL, and wherever I try to look out for such things, we are very very sensetive to "work for free, or credits" idea.

I have worked for free before, and Nicky aboce has as well I believe. I've worked in freeware games (no dime anywhere to be seen), and Nicky on student films.

Since you now know how touchy we are about work for free ideas, by all means explain the situation exaclty so that we all know what's happening. As I said, we are touchy but not unfair. If you want someone to make a home movie or a movie for your portfolio, just say so.

Nathan Allen Pinard
06-28-2007, 05:25 PM
If you are searching though for funding, or producer, or whatever else to actually make some money of the film, then by all means the composer should also be compensated.

A deferred contract if written correctly with no loop holes could maybe work right?

As far as your film, your asking for a feature length score which is a lot of work for free. I do some pro-bono, but I've pretty much decided feature films are out unless I get paid.

SBallard
06-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Hey Nathan, I thought I was your composer for this project? What happened with that?

- Rick.

Hmmm.... :confused:

nickysnd
06-28-2007, 11:30 PM

- Rick.
That is another interesting issue. I second SBallard, only saying it loudly: Nathan, how many free composers do you need? Or more explicitly: How many people would you think that should waste their time for your promises?

OTOH - What is that would make you deserve to have original music in your film? Can you name the thing that would make you deserve that?

Otherwise said: You need composers? What would make composers need you?

Kaatza_Music
06-30-2007, 01:34 PM
I also do some pro-bono things, if and only if, I really like the project and the people involved in it. And then all they get is a non-exclusive single use license. I will never ever give someone the copyright to my music until I have been paid in full.

Pie in the sky make look good but it is not very filling :D