PDA

View Full Version : rJames-who gives a hoot?

rJames
06-11-2005, 08:34 AM
I almost hope that no one cares about what I think since this forum is about demonstrating music. But that contest was disgusting.

Great that Doug and Nick would have it. Sad the way we treated it.

Sorry that a nice guy and good composer like Clockworker and I were dragged through the mud in its course.

There were so many accusations. I can see why Pi started to manipulate the contest. He thought that I was doing that. I'm so naive that I didn't even think that Bernard's comment would be taken as if I put him up to it. I didn't. But it seems clear that there should be NO comments.

I just thought that people HERE AT THIS FORUM would make up their own minds about my orchestration and composition. So, no matter the comments, "its great", "it sucks"; that they wouldn't have any impact on your vote.

But as someone else suggested, Psych 101 calls it "projection". WE project our motives onto those around us because it is our perspective of how people behave. I know Pi won't admit it. But that is how we all operate. We project our values onto the world.

But the one bit I don't understand is IGRON. What is that about? "Music without cliches" You can make connections wherever you want. Lets compare influences. If he would have said that it was derivative of Steely Dan or Aaron Copland, then he'd have something. I used to listen to a lot of Aaron.
I don't listen to classical music and I haven't studied John Williams. But it is a great honor to have discovered some of the same things that the giants in the musical universe have.

I guess that is a great reason to study the history of music; to know what has already been discovered so as not to waste time reinventing the wheel. I don't like to listen to music, exactly so I won't be influenced. Could you please tell me who my piece, Evolution (http://www.DigitMusic.net/music/Evolution.mp3) is derivative of? You probably haven't heard it although I posted it in the contest.

Why did you decide that you needed to campaign against me? Actually, that's a rhetorical question. Please don't answer.

Sorry about the waste of bandwidth here. Back to lurking mode.

neoTypic
06-11-2005, 08:57 AM
A good silent majority of us didn't pay any attention to the BS. ;)

Trust me bud, once you know so many childish adults you learn how to ignore it and not let it affect you. :p

Keep up the good music. :D

Pi_314
06-11-2005, 10:59 AM
I almost hope that no one cares about what I think since this forum is about demonstrating music. But that contest was disgusting. Is this your acceptance speach rewritten? :D
Great that Doug and Nick would have it. Sad the way we treated it.Yep.....The contest is a good touch, but it was treated accordingly.
Sorry that a nice guy and good composer like Clockworker and I were dragged through the mud in its course.Don't recall Clockworker being dragged through the mud, unless you know something I don't. Wink wink
There were so many accusations. I can see why Pi started to manipulate the contest. He thought that I was doing that. I'm so naive that I didn't even think that Bernard's comment would be taken as if I put him up to it. I didn't. But it seems clear that there should be NO comments. Never said Bernard's comment was part of some conspiracy. The fact is.... I made no such link whatsoever. What you are calling manipulation was just a balance of the scale on my part. Seems reasonable don't ya think considering the rules, or lack thereof by which a fair contest can be had?
But as someone else suggested, Psych 101 calls it "projection". WE project our motives onto those around us because it is our perspective of how people behave. I know Pi won't admit it. But that is how we all operate. We project our values onto the world.
Then there should be no problem here when I project my values ... correct?

I'm gonna be careful here what I say, cuz ToddK might read this, and he carries a red hot poker ;) , but we all have friends and I guess that makes everyone even, because we can all get by with a little help from our friends, unfortunately we all have different friends, which doesn't necessarily mean we all get a pot of Gold. :o

ToddK
06-11-2005, 11:11 AM
I PM'd you an apology PI.

I guess you're just gonna act as though i didnt? :confused:

I give up. :(

TK

Doug Rogers
06-11-2005, 11:15 AM
OK - I'm closing this thread because it's obvious where it's headed.

I want to remind all of you that part of our forum rules is having respect for each other, and trading personal insults doesn't fall into that category.

We want this to be a constructive, friendly place, not a place to vent your anger at each other because you have different opinions or you simply don't like each other.

We let this go on long enough, first in the contest thread, then the voting thread, now it's over.

If the contests can't be conducted with civility and respect, we'll end them.

- Doug