PDA

View Full Version : EWQLSO PLATINUM GROUP BUY!

admin
04-01-2005, 09:18 PM
We are happy to announce EWQLSO PLATINUM GROUP BUY!

http://www.soundsonline.com/EWQLSOwide.gif

NEWS FLASH!!! NEWS FLASH!!! NEWS FLASH!!! NEWS FLASH!!! NEWS FLASH!!! NEWS FLASH!!! NEWS FLASH!!!

THANKS ALL PURCHASERS - THIS HAS NOW ENDED!!!

THE PRICE FOR ALL PURCHASERS UNTIL MAY 4, 2005 WILL BE $US1198 - NO ADDITIONAL PAYMENT WILL BE REQUIRED!!

JOIN THE GROUP BUY HERE

To join the Group Buy and pay your entry fee, click the next link:

GROUP BUY EWQLSO PLATINUM EDITION (http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-155G)

(All transactions are transmitted securely through SSL)

We wanted to start our forum with something really special - so today we are introducing a EASTWEST/QUANTUM LEAP SYMPHONIC ORCHESTRA PLATINUM EDITION "GROUP BUY" which will result in a 60% discount off the list price if there are more than 81 buyers during the next month (the last Group Buy for the Gold Edition achieved this in just 5 days and the total copies purchased during the month was 820!).

What is a Group Buy? A Group Buy is when a group of individual buyers join together to purchase the Group Buy product in bulk, thereby reducing the price of the product based on the number purchased by the group during a one month period. If the maximum discount is reached for the Platinum Edition Group Buy each person will save nearly $US1800 and pay only $1198 for a product that retails for $2995!! The Group Buy is available Worldwide.

Even if you currently use a competing product, now's your chance to expand your composing options at a super discount!! Most clients are after that big 'Hollywood Sound' and EWQLSO is the easiest product to achieve this with 'out of the box'. However, the 3 mic positions for every sample (close/stage/hall) provide options to shape the sound to your individual requirements without external processing. Playback software for MAC and PC from Native Instruments is included with your purchase.

EWQLSO PLATINUM is the most critically acclaimed orchestral virtual instrument, with more awards than any other orchestral collection. The Platinum Edition is the top of the line. It's the only complete orchestral virtual instrument recorded in a 'state of the art' concert hall to include 3 mic positions for every sample so you can mix with real concert hall ambience, was recorded by multiple GRAMMY WINNING classical recording engineer PROF. KEITH O. JOHNSON, and was produced by multiple award-winning producers DOUG ROGERS and NICK PHOENIX. THE PLATINUM EDITION is used by top professionals and legends such as film composer DAVID NEWMAN, PAUL McCARTNEY, CIRQUE DU SOLEIL composer RENÉ DUPÉRÉ (most of the orchestral sounds in the new half billion dollar Las Vegas production KA are from EWQLSO PLATINUM).

It has been awarded BEST SOUND LIBRARY from the GAME AUDIO NETWORK GUILD (G.A.N.G); a KEY BUY AWARD from KEYBOARD MAGAZINE; EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY AWARD from EQ MAGAZINE; and PERFORMANCE AWARD from COMPUTER MUSIC MAGAZINE.

GROUP BUY COUNTER (will be updated daily)

Counter
Date: May-05-05
Number of subscriptions: 326!!
Current Price: $1198,-
Days left: ENDED

GROUP BUY DURATION

Start: Monday April 4, 2005

Duration: 1 month.

Ends: Wednesday May 4, 2005

GROUP BUY PRODUCT

EASTWEST/QUANTUM LEAP SYMPHONIC ORCHESTRA PLATINUM EDITION
(includes a special version of Native Instruments KOMPAKT Sampler)

http://www.soundsonline.com/appimg/full/EW-155.gif
More info: CLICK HERE (http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-155G) for audio demos, specifications, etc.
GROUP BUY RULES

* Both the entry fee and the final payment constitute a purchase. We will not issue any refund;

* You cannot apply any of the purchase price for EWQLSO Silver or Gold towards this Group Buy;

* The Group Buy is for the original Platinum Edition and does not include the upcoming Pro Upgrade;

* The Group Buy is only available at soundsonline.com using the above special link;

If you have any questions or doubts, please send an email to sales@eastwestsounds.com (sales@eastwestsounds.com)

Abel K.
04-04-2005, 08:57 AM
So, I am proud to be the first poster on this forum :) Did I win?

good luck to the groupbuy!!!

Duncan Watt
04-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Wow! Cool!

Let me begin the endless questioning by ante-ing up with this little nugget:

I'm assuming this Group Buy doesn't include the Platinum Upgrade, right? 'Cos I'll just keel right over right now if it does...

Thanks for this wonderful opportunity!

Duncan

Doug Rogers
04-04-2005, 09:28 AM
So, I am proud to be the first poster on this forum :) Did I win?

good luck to the groupbuy!!!

Abel,

I think being the first poster here certainly warrants a gift. You can have any EASTWEST Prosamples Platinum title of your choice FREE. Contact stefan@eastwestsounds.com and he will organize it.

:)

- Doug

digjoe
04-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Wow! Cool!

I'm assuming this Group Buy doesn't include the Platinum Upgrade, right? 'Cos I'll just keel right over right now if it does...

Duncan
Me thinks the Group buy IS THE PLATINUM package...ergo...yo no need upgrade...ya already there!! AMIGO!!!!
PEACE
Digjoe

amo
04-04-2005, 09:35 AM
I think being the first poster here certainly warrants a gift. You can have any EASTWEST Prosamples Platinum title of your choice FREE. Contact stefan@eastwestsounds.com and he will organize it.

I knew it is always better to be first than second.... :(
Good enough for Abel, congrats on beating the beast !

Again long life to you guys...

Amaury

Sean R. Beeson
04-04-2005, 09:37 AM
This is pretty awesome. You are getting Platinum for the price of gold, it truly is quite impressive. GREAT WORK, and thanks for such an incredible deal.

Sean R. Beeson

aaaaaakash
04-04-2005, 09:39 AM
UH-OH! here we go agian! :D :D :D

*reaches for the wallet* (knowing he will be sleeping on the couch for a while) :eek:

Doug Rogers
04-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Wow! Cool!

Duncan

Right, it does not include the PRO UPGRADE, what is being offered is the original PLATINUM EDITION.

- Doug

Robert H. Weston II
04-04-2005, 10:34 AM
I am going to have to get more jobs, you guys are breaking me!...LOL What a fantastic deal.

Robert H. Weston II
04-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Oh, Yeah...Doug I really got a kick out of your "SUPER MODERATOR" title....that's pretty funny. All you need is a bold logo on your chest and a cape!

James W.G. Smith
04-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Oh man, you guys are KILLING me! If I had the money to build myself 6 more computers, I would go for this, but oh well, in time :D

James W.G. Smith

BTW, why don't you guys toss on some ac3 or dts demos? One of the big perks of this lib is it's surround capablility, so you should show it off!

dcoscina
04-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Wow. This is an unexpected surprise. I'm in the same boat as the others. I need to find another job to subsidize my EWQLSO addiction! Oh, and I'll need a few more computers too!

Also, very generous of you Doug to reward Abel with his inagural post. Very classy!

-Dave

Journeyman
04-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Oh man, now I'm really sorry that I bought Gold. Anyone wanna buy my unused version of Gold for EXS24? I can't use it until I upgrade to a G5 anyway.... Anybody at all? :confused:

chocothrax
04-04-2005, 11:26 AM
There is no Gold in exs24 so you migth have a problem selling it. :)

Journeyman
04-04-2005, 11:32 AM
My mistake; thanks for the heads-up. It's the Cross platform version of Gold which includes it's own special version of Kompakt. I'll sell it at the former Gold group buy price.....

Doug Rogers
04-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Oh, Yeah...Doug I really got a kick out of your "SUPER MODERATOR" title....that's pretty funny. All you need is a bold logo on your chest and a cape!

Someone else set that up, but it is pretty funny!!

- Doug

emuloo
04-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Or maybe I'll have to take that second job.

Seriously, very cool way to start the forum.

fvicente
04-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi Journeyman,

My mistake; thanks for the heads-up. It's the Cross platform version of Gold which includes it's own special version of Kompakt. I'll sell it at the former Gold group buy price.....

As per the license agreement, I do not believe that you are allowed to sell it.

FV

Abel K.
04-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Abel,

I think being the first poster here certainly warrants a gift. You can have any EASTWEST Prosamples Platinum title of your choice FREE.

Wow! Thank you, thank you, thank you :D :D :D

Journeyman
04-04-2005, 12:43 PM
I do not believe that you are allowed to sell it.

Doug Rogers, is that true? Even if I've never installed it? I bought Gold in advance of buying a new computer which could handle it. I still haven't bought the new computer, and therefore have never used it....

Drizzt
04-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Ok, guys, lets get cracking. I would rather pay the 1200 as opposed to the 2100 :p

Stefan Podell
04-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Wow.

Well, since November, I've bought Silver, Gold, Gold Pro, PA2, RA, Colossus, and SC. I'll probably add Stormdrum to the mix. So I don't think I have the $ for Platinum right now (and I'd of course want the Pro upgrade for that, too).

But it's tempting!!!!! :D

- Stefan

Briggity
04-04-2005, 04:51 PM
OK, I bought Gold with the original group buy back in December. I ordered and paid for the Gold Pro pre-order deal. I notice that the upgrade path for Gold -> Platinum is considerably more than this group buy will cost. if it meets the minimum number of orders - so it's somewhat tempting. What happens to my Gold Pro pre-order, can I change it to a Platinum Pro pre-order or get my money back or something?

FilmComposerZ
04-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Excellent opportunity, but to me useless. I have GOLD, so to have Platinum I would need 4 PCs (2000 buck each) just to run platinum....i guess I'll wait fot the Colussus and RA group buys! Best of Luck to EW on this Group Buy, since it is a challenge. Buying Platinumn also means aquiring better PCs...

Pablo

dcoscina
04-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Actually, Pablo raised a good question. For those of us who have Gold, what advantages does Platinum present aside from the 24 bit samples and different hall ambience? I'm not trying to be a wise-acre here, I'm honestly interested. Part of me has always looked to Platinum as the be-all end-all for sample libraries.

Scott Cairns
04-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Hi David, I think the main advantage is being able to blend different mic positions.

For example, the bones and tuba have a much meatier bottom end in the surround mics, the percussion tends to sound better there too.

If you want more definition, you can blend some close mics. In fact, some instruments such as the solo violin or woodwinds can be used outside of the symphonic setting.

Hope that helps,

Scott.

Doug Rogers
04-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Gold is great and really popular, but Platinum is the product we set out to make originally. The ability to scupture the sound using 3 mic positions provides composers with a lot of options in the sound department that you don't have with the other versions. The biggest and best in the business use this version, so I think that is an endorsement as to its capabilities. Many Gold users have requested to buy the close mics or halls mics for Gold as an add-on. For a couple of hundred more, if the group buy reaches it's maximum discount, you can have both. This is a really good opportunity to own the best for a lot less, don't miss out!

- Doug

Scott Cairns
04-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Hi Doug, I have what might be a tricky question :)

I own Gold and have already ordered Gold Pro. What happens if I upgrade to Platinum? Can I use Gold Pro in conjunction with Platinum?

Thanks,

Scott.

linwood
04-04-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm in.....thanks!

Doug Rogers
04-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Hi Doug, I have what might be a tricky question :)

I own Gold and have already ordered Gold Pro. What happens if I upgrade to Platinum? Can I use Gold Pro in conjunction with Platinum?

Thanks,

Scott.

Scott,

You can use it with Gold Pro, but Platinum Pro is the upgrade from Platinum. This might be a good first step and you can upgrade Gold Pro to Platinum Pro later.

Overall, taking advantage of this deal now will cost you less in the long run.

- Doug

FilmComposerZ
04-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Like i said. excellent opportunity, but how many PCs and with what setup would one need to run Platinum? At least two super duper machines?

I am interested but do not want to buy and then regret because I have to spend another 4 grand on PCs

dcoscina
04-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Yes, I agree with Pablo (again). I might be able to get in on this group buy but I would hate to not be able to use it because of system limitations. I have 2 PCs (both Dell) one desktop and one laptop. Gold is on my desktop and Silver on my laptop currently. I can add more RAM to my laptop but my desktop is maxed at 1 gig which is probably not nearly enough.

Oh, thanks Scott and Doug for clarifying the difference between Gold and Platinum. Because Gold does have a few close mic'd or stage mic'd patches, I can see the advantages of mixing different mic'd instruments. I think lower strings like celli/basses benefit from the close mic when using the staccato or spiccato articulations. The lower ambience allows one to hear the initial sample as opposed to the hall settings which slightly obscure the downbow effect. So, I am definitely interested. Now, if I could only add $5000 to my mortgage I could get EWQLSO Platinum Pro AND another super computer to run it!

But sincerely, $3000 or $4000 is a lot cheaper than hiring out an orchestra. And an orchestra for that money wouldn't get you much. And it would be a one-time thing. Having Platinum and its Pro upgrade would allow the composer to write an inifinite amount of music....

Scott Cairns
04-04-2005, 09:38 PM
I think with the sheer amount of articulations in Platinum that two computers would be pushing it, 3 would be comfortable.

I think that 4 or more computers are only needed if you run ALL the mics at the SAME time.

I upgraded my hardware to take advantage of the upcoming Gold Pro. I have 3 high-end computers for all of my sample libs, plus one old file server for back-up.

Im still thinking about getting Platinum though for mic blending. Im confident that 3 computers will handle that just fine.

Stefan Podell
04-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Stop making this sound like such a good idea!!!!!! ;)

I don't know if there are sound card (EMU 0404) or driver issues on my PC, but I can certainly get dropouts and clicking on my Athlon64 3200, with 2GB of RAM. So I can imagine that 24-bit samples might easily spill onto another machine, even on very high end hardware.

I don't think that it's any coincidence that Platinum and Platinum Pro give you 8 licenses each (2 per section). So just imagine that you could be running on 16 computers... :eek: :eek: :eek:

AndyFinkenstadt
04-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Wouldn't it be possible to "freeze" some or most of the platinum tracks to help reduce the capital outlay needed to really use Platinum?

Stefan Podell
04-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Wouldn't it be possible to "freeze" some or most of the platinum tracks to help reduce the capital outlay needed to really use Platinum?

Of course. I suppose it's just a question of whether the time to freeze tracks outweighs the dollars to buy more hardware :)

stranger4u
04-04-2005, 11:28 PM
I'm interested in this too. I currently own Gold and it runs fine on a single pc. I wouldn't want to buy more pcs for platinum either so is it possible to run it on one pc (by the means of using freeze, bounce to audio etc etc)?

And more importantly, will there be a group buy for platinum pro? :)

imton1151
04-05-2005, 12:32 AM
I had this monster computer built but a lot of stuff is not raid compatible.how many computers does it take?

Scott Cairns
04-05-2005, 12:47 AM
hows about raid compatible?

You know, I spoke to some DAW makers in Nashville, they build "super-daws" for recording studios and get 300+ tracks of audio running.

They were telling me that raid s really only effective when you are streaming large audio files. For example, a 3 minute vocal track, 3 minute bass guitar track, etc, etc.

Because of the way that our samples libs stream and load small chunks into buffers, raid makes little or no difference at all.

Im running a dual 3ghz Xeon as my host and all my sample libs stream off ONE ide hard drive.

Its never even raised a sweat. ;)

Oliver Wallner
04-05-2005, 01:20 AM

Another option is to render the whole piece (or single sections for more flexibility) with the 3 different mic positions and then blend them to your taste. You'd just need the same computing power as for Gold to do so.

fnavarro
04-05-2005, 03:04 AM
Is it possible upgrade from Gold Edition?????

Chris Jones
04-05-2005, 03:40 AM
I use Plat on one PC. Personally I prefer the limitations of this over the networking hassles, noise, expense and general inconvenience of multiple computers. Still, it would be nice occasionally to have all the articulations of every instrument loaded at once..

©hris

Doug Rogers
04-05-2005, 06:44 AM
Apart from top film composers like David Newman who has 8 compters for platinum, most users I know compose with the stage mics (same as Gold) and render the other mic positions to their audio sequencer once the composition is complete, and then they mix the piece with the 3 mic positions there. That saves the cost of additional hardware.

- Doug

dcoscina
04-05-2005, 07:05 AM
Apart from top film composers like David Newman who has 8 compters for platinum, most users I know compose with the stage mics (same as Gold) and render the other mic positions to their audio sequencer once the composition is complete, and then they mix the piece with the 3 mic positions there. That saves the cost of additional hardware.

- Doug

Yes, very good point! However, I have found that Sonar 4.1's freeze feature has problems rendering my Gold tracks. I'll often get drop-outs in the audio so I have abandoned using this feature. aparently, this is endemic with Sonar and all NI products such as Kompakt, Kontakt, etc. I have rendered some Atmosphere and Gigastudio (re-wired) tracks with no drop outs. I have seen other threads that discuss this problem as well.

As for Platinum, I really have been doing some numbers to see if this works. It's an opportunity that I'll smack myself for if I miss out on it. That much I know. Oh, and Platinum Pro....ugghhh. Doug, why the heck do you guys have to produce so many damned great products???? ;)

as I said in another thread, there is a lot of feeling inherent in the samples that I find very compelling. It makes composing a real treat. :cool:

Doug Rogers
04-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Yes, very good point! However, I have found that Sonar 4.1's freeze feature has problems rendering my Gold tracks.

The trick is to disable Fast Bounce when you render.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Btw, just so you know, all of the posts about the Platinum Group Buy are being deleted by forum administrators at Northernsounds. They didn't start the Group Buy concept, it was started at another forum. They just added a rule that you can't talk about them. That's one of the reasons we are leaving there.

Now help us spread the word so we can reach the maximum discount!

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-05-2005, 08:37 AM
Good start!

Remember also, only the first 40 get an additional EW ProSamples Platinum title of your choice.

Counter
Date: April-5-05
Number of subscriptions: 9
Current Price: $2096,-
Days left: 30 days

amo
04-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Doug,

Though I won't participate (got gold buy group buy last January, and I don't have the cash for that one, too bad), I've spread the word on two main french forums.... Hope that will help. Good score until now,
With all support,

Amaury

Lynne Moquin
04-05-2005, 08:49 AM
I don't own the library yet but very interested in Platinum EW -
Sorry i don't understand the workarounds for one computer or less than optimal ram and cpu.

I appreciate hearing that the far mics can be added later, but could I hear some more of that explanation in simpler step by step instruction ?

I have a dual gig g4, 1.5 ram - actually have to replace one 512 chip since last night since it caused repeat program crashes and install failures -
using logic 7.
I'm happy to work a small section at a time and bounce or freeze tracks.
I really want the 24 bit samples and far mics ! so I'll appreciate any encouragement !

many thanks

dcoscina
04-05-2005, 10:36 AM
The trick is to disable Fast Bounce when you render.

- Doug

Yes, that did the trick. Thanks Doug. Oh, I'm on a couple film score forums. I'll also pass the Group Buy news with a link onto them. some composers frequent those sites and would be very interested in this fantastic discount.

Dave

Doug Rogers
04-05-2005, 11:53 AM
ah, so that's all that's required? THANKS! I've not been using Gold to its fullest potential partly because of the this. I'll try this out tonight! :)

Thanks Doug. Oh, I'm on a couple film score forums. I'll also pass the Group Buy news with a link onto them. some composers frequent those sites and would be very interested in this fantastic discount.

Dave

Great - since we are being silenced at our other forum we need all the help we can get spreading the word.

- Doug

Waywyn
04-05-2005, 11:58 AM
uhm, sorry to ask doug, but you are silenced on NS, to post, to speak or what ?

oh sorry i did read the posts before. i understand. but like i said before. i think the rules on NS are going to be a little bit hard and weird.

the thing really don't understand is that alan lastufka was banned from NS, but that's another story ...

Michael Naz
04-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Btw, just so you know, all of the posts about the Platinum Group Buy are being deleted by forum administrators at Northernsounds. They didn't start the Group Buy concept, it was started at another forum. They just added a rule that you can't talk about them. That's one of the reasons we are leaving there.

- Doug

You cant even talk about it on your own sponsored forum?!! I dont blame you for leaving and am glad to see you started your own.. at least we'll be able to get the straight scoop from you without wondering what's been deleted. :mad:

Michael

Michael Naz
04-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Oh man is this tempting! I love Gold and was planning on getting the Pro upgrade later in the year, one the main things that attracts me to Pro is the fact that we get all of the articulations from Platinum that were left out of Gold. Now I could get that and the mic positions.. Now is a tough time for me because of taxes (we owe a nice chunk) and $1200 would be pushing it.. Unfortunately I'll be one of the ones sitting on the fence waiting for when the full discount is met.

~I'm still steamed that NSS wont let you talk about this there!! Its CRAAAAAAP!!! What's the point of having a SPONSORED forum if you cant talk about a GB??

stranger4u
04-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Oh man is this tempting! I love Gold and was planning on getting the Pro upgrade later in the year, one the main things that attracts me to Pro is the fact that we get all of the articulations from Platinum that were left out of Gold. Now I could get that and the mic positions..
`
I'm kind of wondering the same. I got gold right now but this is tempting.. The downside is that if I get Platinum I'll miss out on the Pro Upgrade articulations (QLegato etc.) that would come with the Gold Pro Upgrade and are not in Platinum. So I'm wondering what would make more sense. Gold Pro or Platinum now.

dcoscina
04-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Great - since we are being silenced at our other forum we need all the help we can get spreading the word.

- Doug

I don't understand why Northern Sounds would do this. What are they, fascists?

Maybe I'll post the group buy info at the VSL website while I'm at it... :D

synergy543
04-05-2005, 02:26 PM

- Doug
Well at least you didn't get banned :o

Still its pretty unbelievable. I thought YOU were the one with influence and control there!

Surely this signals the demise of NSS. So many influencial users have already migrated over to http://www.vi-control.net/forum/forum.php I think they are aware of this forum.

To get more users over here why don't you start an OT Forum? That draws a good crowd!

Also a discussion area for other general sampling and other products would be cool too as it creates an interesting community that inspires related discussions.

Heck, why don't you just usurp and take over control at NSS? (Or send Nick to do it! :D)

David Bowater
04-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Doug,

At one point you seem to indicate that the mics used in the Gold Edition are the stage mics. Is this true? I understood they are the ambient mics.

Incidently, are you the Doug Rogers from Harlequin in Auckland?

Regards,

David Bowater

Doug Rogers
04-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Doug,

At one point you seem to indicate that the mics used in the Gold Edition are the stage mics. Is this true? I understood they are the ambient mics.

The Gold Edition includes the stage mics. The Platinum Edition has close, stage, and hall mics for every sample and a full list of articulations.

- Doug

Beermaster
04-06-2005, 03:26 AM
Doug,

As someone who only four months ago pair £1700 for Platinum from Arbiter music UK you can undertand the anger of seeing the same product being offereed for the equivelent of £600 from EastWest. What compensation are you offering the people who paid out the full price for this product ?

I am more than happy with the library and have orders ready to to go for a lot of your other titles but its leaving a very bad taste feeling like I've been ripped off - can you shed any light on this matter

Thanks

Lester Barnes - Dreamscape music London

I tried to contact you on your personal email but have not yet had a response

Waywyn
04-06-2005, 03:37 AM
sorry to drop in here, but when i buy a 100.000 $ mixing console for my studio and a week later i see the same console at ebay or another shop for 5000 $ ... should i then get angry and ask the first shop who offered the console for 100.000 $ to give me some exchange or money back ???

i would kinda understand if doug even wouldn't reply at all ...

neoTypic
04-06-2005, 05:52 AM
Howdy,

If I were to just use the stage mics in the Platinum version would I get comparable system performance to Gold? I too have an aging system and it'll be a while before I upgrade (I'm still paying this darn system off due to lousy interest rates). I've listed my system specs below. Could someone with a similiar spec let me know what kind of performance I could expect?

2.4GHz Pentium 4
1.5GB RAM
Audiophile 24/96 (currently trying to work with M-Audio's tech support to get my Ozonic working)
Windows XP Pro

Even if I can't use it I'll be sure to let some other people know about it. It's rather hard to beat that price. Heh.

Doug Rogers
04-06-2005, 07:22 AM
Howdy,

If I were to just use the stage mics in the Platinum version would I get comparable system performance to Gold? I too have an aging system and it'll be a while before I upgrade (I'm still paying this darn system off due to lousy interest rates). I've listed my system specs below. Could someone with a similiar spec let me know what kind of performance I could expect?

2.4GHz Pentium 4
1.5GB RAM
Audiophile 24/96 (currently trying to work with M-Audio's tech support to get my Ozonic working)
Windows XP Pro

Even if I can't use it I'll be sure to let some other people know about it. It's rather hard to beat that price. Heh.

If you add another 1GB of 'good' ram you should get great performance.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Doug,

As someone who only four months ago pair £1700 for Platinum from Arbiter music UK you can undertand the anger of seeing the same product being offereed for the equivelent of £600 from EastWest. What compensation are you offering the people who paid out the full price for this product ?

Lester,

Platinum has been on the market for 18 months, it's unfortunate that you only learnt about it four months ago, most professional users have more than recovered their investment in the time they have had the library (some with their very first job).

All products go down in price after a time, especially when the market becomes saturated with similar products, that's just a fact of life. The early purchasers pay a premium to have the tool first, that's pretty consistent with all businesses. We waited a year for the Gold Group Buy (which added another 820 users that obviously weren't interested at the original price) and 18 months for this Platinum Group Buy.

In addition, our timing is strategic as the PRO UPGRADES will be released soon. It's in our interest to have the largest user base and accordingly that is why this Group Buy exists. Sure, if the lowest price is reached it will be a bargain for these purchasers, but keep in mind these purchasers wouldn't buy it at the full price or they would have already. We all pay a premium for being first, that's consistent with most product purchases. Professional customers actually value that advantage.

- Doug

neoTypic
04-06-2005, 07:54 AM
If you add another 1GB of 'good' ram you should get great performance.

- Doug

Thanks for the tip. Right now I have 2x256 that came with the system and 2x512 so that's all the slots for now. *laughs*

Man, tempting tempting. I'll probably have to wait until the end of the month when I get my next paycheque to go in on this, but this is gonna be a hard one to pass up!

Thanks Doug. :)

Doug Rogers
04-06-2005, 07:58 AM
There are only 18 slots left to get the FREE EW ProSamples Platinum Title of your choice.

The price has now dropped to 40% off!!

Counter
Date: April-6-05
Number of subscriptions: 22
Current Price: $1797,-
Days left: 29 days

Lynne Moquin
04-06-2005, 08:26 AM
I am very interested in the group buy, and thanks for the opportunity.

Is it technically possible to work with platinum in small orch. sections with freezing tracks in Logic, and bouncing to audio ? Does anyone do this in real life if they have more patience than jobs ?

Does anyone use the Distr'd Audio Processing in Logic and combine 2 g4's ?

I want the best sounds and will upgrade the system later.

Can one work with the close mics to create, then change the mics later when you have all the small sections in audio completed ?

p.s. how are the manuals for EW or are there books to buy if help needed ?

Many thanks

Lynne

lovelysilence
04-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Anyone has an idea how much extra cost is added to get the product through customs? Or can it be shipped from within the European Union (for example the United Kingdom?)? Having a VAT number, i would not have to pay additional taxes. Thanks!

Doug Rogers
04-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Anyone has an idea how much extra cost is added to get the product through customs? Or can it be shipped from within the European Union (for example the United Kingdom?)? Having a VAT number, i would not have to pay additional taxes. Thanks!

If you contact us at the same time you place your order we can help you with this.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Download the EWQLSO Guide pdf from the following link. This guide will answer most of your questions about the product.

http://www.soundsonline.com/EWQLSOGuide.pdf

- Doug

mcneilis
04-06-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm also from the UK and wondering about VAT and customs charges. Can anyone from the UK who took part in the Gold group buy explain their extra costs please?

Thanks,

Michael.

Doug Rogers
04-06-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm also from the UK and wondering about VAT and customs charges. Can anyone from the UK who took part in the Gold group buy explain their extra costs please?

Thanks,

Michael.

Michael,

If you purchased the product in the UK you would have to pay additional VAT. FedEx collect this based on the invoice amount, but we can help reduce this if you contact us when you place your order. Send me a PM for more details.

- Doug

Abel K.
04-06-2005, 12:35 PM
22 subs in just two days... not bad, very well actually ;)

Stefan Podell
04-06-2005, 01:57 PM
In addition, our timing is strategic as the PRO UPGRADES will be released soon. It's in our interest to have the largest user base and accordingly that is why this Group Buy exists. Sure, if the lowest price is reached it will be a bargain for these purchasers, but keep in mind these purchasers wouldn't buy it at the full price or they would have already. We all pay a premium for being first, that's consistent with most product purchases. Professional customers actually value that advantage.

Doug,

I'm certainly not demanding this, and I don't expect the answer will be "yes," but I figure I'll ask:

For people who buy Platinum in this group buy, will there be a discount to Platinum Pro? There was a de facto discount on Gold Pro for the Gold group buyers, by virtue of the pre-order price. Might that be resurrected for these?

(If so, I can think about putting my Gold Pro preorder money towards this Platinum buy, and then sweat how to raise the money for Platinum Pro... :))

Thanks,
Stefan

khaustic
04-06-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm just wondering if it's worth it for me to buy Platinum, even at the price offered through this group buy... I'm currently running a basic Athlon XP 3400+, 1 gig PC3200 cas2 RAM, with a 1 TB SATA RAID array, and I know I wouldn't be able to come anywhere close to using the full potential of the software, but... I know I could just do what I normally do with other programs: render one piece at a time, export it, and sequence the resulting files. So I'm wondering if having those extra mic positions are really that important. On the other hand, I know I'd much rather have just the close mics than anything else, and worry about reverbs and whatnot later, so...

One other question: If I decide to go in on this group buy, but it turns out only, say, 15 other people hop in on it, is it possible to withdraw my order? I'm on a tight enough budget that even $1200 means I'll probably be eating nothing but mac & cheese at my girlfriend's house for a few months. I really wouldn't be able to go any higher than that...

Thanks!
-Chad

imton1151
04-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks scott. I will place my order today.. cant wait to try it.

ComposerNYC
04-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Hey gang,

I'm a Mac user (Logic/EXS24) and I run the VSL... but I've been reallllly impressed with the demos I've heard of the Platinum Edition and am seriously thinking about this group buy.

I'm running a dual 1ghz G4 with 1.7GB RAM... is anyone running a similar setup, and can you comment on many tracks of the EWQLSO you're able to run without maxxing out your CPU? It sounds like the Platinum Edition is pretty processor-heavy, but I don't know what that would "look like" in real-life terms with Logic.

Input appreciated, cuz I have a little mad-money burning a hole in my pocket right now!

Thanks,

Kerry

perceive
04-06-2005, 06:18 PM
One other question: If I decide to go in on this group buy, but it turns out only, say, 15 other people hop in on it, is it possible to withdraw my order? I'm on a tight enough budget that even $1200 means I'll probably be eating nothing but mac & cheese at my girlfriend's house for a few months. I really wouldn't be able to go any higher than that...

Thanks!
-Chad

Well, the best thing to do is just look at the current amount of people who have put down for the group buy, this is listed in the first post and often updated by Doug. I think you'll find it is already up to 22 on the second day but if you want to wait until it gets to that magical 60% figure I suspect you will not be waiting long.

Cheers,
Steve

cc1
04-06-2005, 08:36 PM
if its getting toward the deadline and you need me to flip in some cash to meet the 81 buyers let me know: ag72041-7204@yahoo.com

cc1
04-06-2005, 09:20 PM
if its getting toward the deadline and you need me to flip in some cash to meet the 81 buyers let me know: ag72041-7204@yahoo.com

<i posted this elsewhere - but i think i replied to the wrong thread - sorry for double post>

amo
04-07-2005, 02:17 AM

And then you'll offer it a very nice french man ? Oh thanks man ! Yep, it feel you don't really want it.... :D

Sorry, I couldn't help......

Regards,

Amaury

Doug Rogers
04-07-2005, 06:25 AM
There are now only 9 slots left to get the additional FREE EW ProSamples Platinum title of your choice.

Discount is currently 40%. 10 more and we will be down to 50%!!

Counter
Date: April-7-05
Number of subscriptions: 31
Current Price: $1797,-
Days left: 28 days

Scott Rogers
04-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Yes, I was one of the bad boys at NSS the day this group buy was announced. I posted a question asking if any others were going to get in on the group buy, and later on the post was yanked and I received a stern, tersely worded admonition as follows.

FORUM VIOLATION:
"There is to be no discussion of this or any other group buy at Northern Sounds. Doug Rogers is aware of this and will go through proper channels when he is ready to make an announcement."

Papa Chalk

Needless to say, I'm a bit put off by this and am more often frequenting V.I. Control as a result.

dcoscina
04-07-2005, 09:09 PM

- Doug

Yep, I just posted my disdain at this on the East West board at Northern Sounds and was promptly contacted by Papa Chalk about it. I told him to take me off that site as I had no interest in staying at a place where the developers weren't allowed to advertise their products. That was my polite version. I cannot print what I really wanted to tell him. :rolleyes:

Scott Rogers
04-08-2005, 12:08 AM
And they've got to be going nuts over at NS over this, because every time I go to the EW area, someone else is mentioning the group buy. I'll bet Papa Chalk's "Platinum group buy" intruder alert filter alarm is going off every 15 minutes. :eek:

Waywyn
04-08-2005, 12:52 AM
i don't like to say that, but i think if papa chalk goes on like this, ns will go down.
when i started posting there and met all the fabulous guys hanging around there it was like "finally, ONE forum were you meet cool composers and guys to talk with, from all over the world", but now it kinda reminds me of the time back in germany when a guy with a little mustache from austria controlled germany. everything what fits not in the high administartors eyes, will be deleted. ... but i don't want to go OT!

sorry for that but i felt like saying this.

mikey251
04-08-2005, 01:27 AM
Hi Doug and all,
I just ordered SO Platinum from this group buy (thanks for this opportunity!)
I am quite new in composing orchestral pieces, and my english is not very good, which makes the PDF guide sometimes difficult to understand.
I was wondering if I could find CPR files on the Internet that would help me get the best of the libraries.
Thanks in advance.
Jean-Michel

Waywyn
04-08-2005, 01:34 AM
Hey Jean Michel,

if you want some small tutorials about how to use the libs etc i uploaded some on my homepage www.cellarroom.de

there is a small tutorial section but it is nothing compared to the official ewqlso guide, just some hints how to use some stuff etc. ... maybe it helps ... dunno

mikey251
04-08-2005, 01:56 AM
Wow, vielen Danke Alex.
Your tutorials seems to be exactly what I need :)

js33
04-08-2005, 02:58 AM
i don't like to say that, but i think if papa chalk goes on like this, ns will go down.
when i started posting there and met all the fabulous guys hanging around there it was like "finally, ONE forum were you meet cool composers and guys to talk with, from all over the world", but now it kinda reminds me of the time back in germany when a guy with a little mustache from austria controlled germany. everything what fits not in the high administartors eyes, will be deleted. ... but i don't want to go OT!

sorry for that but i felt like saying this.

Why is there all of the sudden no group buy talk allowed on NS? There was the GOLD group buy there back in December and it went well (That's when I purchased it). There have also been many other group buys for other products there. So what's the deal? Maybe NS is seeing all the developers make money and they aren't getting a piece of the pie?

Cheers,
JS

Doug Rogers
04-08-2005, 06:37 AM
Hi Doug and all,
I just ordered SO Platinum from this group buy (thanks for this opportunity!)
I am quite new in composing orchestral pieces, and my english is not very good, which makes the PDF guide sometimes difficult to understand.
I was wondering if I could find CPR files on the Internet that would help me get the best of the libraries.
Thanks in advance.
Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel,

One of our Italian users is translating the guide into Italian currently. Perhaps you can interest one of your people to do the same in French. We will compensate the person. Send me a PM if you know someone that is interested.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-08-2005, 06:40 AM
The discount is now 50% after only 4 days!!

Counter
Date: April-8-05
Number of subscriptions: 41
Current Price: $1497,-
Days left: 27 days

Journeyman
04-08-2005, 07:29 AM
Greetings.

There's one aspect of Platinum that I really need clarity on, and I'd really appreciate anyone's knowledgable insight:

There's been lots of talk about one computer not being enough to use Platinum, and that has me concerned. I'm getting ready to buy a new Mac Dual G5; whatever their current fastest speed is. I'd be using Platinum as an adjunct to my pop/rock/jazz productions. I'm not an orchestral composer as most of you are, but want to take advantage of EWQLSO's quality in my productions. That being the case, I'd probably be mostly using the closest/dryest miking technique most of the time, and adding reverb after the fact, unless the wetter miking techniques just "happened" to fit with the rest of my mix.

So I wouldn't be doing full orchestral mock-ups, but using Platinum as the orchestral component in my pop/rock/jazz productions. Everything (sequencing, other plug-ins, Vintaudio C4), would be taking place on the one and only aformentioned Mac Dual G5.

So, will one top-of-the-line Mac Dual G5 with tons of RAM, be sufficient? If not, I'll probably stick with Gold. I look forward to your responses. Thanks!

ComposerNYC
04-08-2005, 09:14 AM
I'd like to echo that post... I'm also about to upgrade to a Dual G5 & am considering the Platinum Group Buy to use in conjunction with the VSL, but I'm not sure how much processing power it will take to run it, and I don't know of any way to farm out the processing to a second Mac. Any mac folks have experience here?

Journeyman
04-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Kerry,

If you're using Logic 7, you can buy a second G5 to use as what is known as "a node". But I don't know anything more about it. My issue is that I have no intention of going beyond one computer at this time.

linwood
04-08-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm with you guys. I'm in on the group buy already and i have a dual 2.5 with 4.5 gigs of ram. i also have a 74 gig 10k wd raptor installed. i hope it'll run on this beast. Maybe I can at least get a fiddle going....

daustin
04-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Couldn't resist this, what a deal!

currently running Gold on a G4 DP 867, 2GIG RAM, Logic 6, no problem running a full orchestra, that's what the Freeze function is for, after all: could be a problem for composers who 'make it up as they go along', but the trick is to score the whole piece as if for real, and then just play all the parts in, freezing instruments as you go; works for me, anyway.

Seems to me the real problem is Ram capacity, and THAT may force me onto G5/Logic 7, which I really don't want to do, as all is dandy with G4/Logic 6.

Always wary of "updates" when something is working well as it is..

Derek Austin

Waywyn
04-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Couldn't resist this, what a deal!

currently running Gold on a G4 DP 867, 2GIG RAM, Logic 6, no problem running a full orchestra, that's what the Freeze function is for, after all: could be a problem for composers who 'make it up as they go along', but the trick is to score the whole piece as if for real, and then just play all the parts in, freezing instruments as you go; works for me, anyway.

Seems to me the real problem is Ram capacity, and THAT may force me onto G5/Logic 7, which I really don't want to do, as all is dandy with G4/Logic 6.

Always wary of "updates" when something is working well as it is..

Derek Austin

yeh i know, you can open a complete orchestra on a 1,2 GHz CPu with 512 MB as long as you use freezing or do audiobounces all the time.

.. but for people who needs an open mix because of edits etc, it could get a real problem.
i was also working like this and then i saw the problem, when gamedevelopers or producers wanted the song just 10 beats faster or maybe the song 1semitone down etc, all that stuff.

so i recently set up my desired system (for now :)):

i use three pcs connected with fxt,

main machine is amd64 3,8 ghz and 2gb ram,
1slave is 3ghz and 2gb ram
2 slave is 2,6 ghz and 1,2 gb ram.

i am now able to open all gold articulations and programs i need, so i have everything from solo piccolo flute to the big french horn programs.

i really feel much more comfortable with such a big setup because i don't need to search for programs. when i need tremolo strings or solo stacc oboe. its all there.

sure it's a money thing, but if you work professional it's the best thing to have your mixes open and editable all the time. another coll thing is it saves a lot of MB when you save the mixes with just midi files instead of having a session full with bounced audio files.

Abel K.
04-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Why is there all of the sudden no group buy talk allowed on NS? There was the GOLD group buy there back in December and it went well (That's when I purchased it). There have also been many other group buys for other products there. So what's the deal? Maybe NS is seeing all the developers make money and they aren't getting a piece of the pie?

Cheers,
JS

I have also posted the GB gospel at NS and then had a hard talk with Papa Chalk. He got really mad when I posted new thread titled:
"Nu Great Britain of XXXX Symphony Orchestra". Has been deleted. LOL

Stefan Podell
04-08-2005, 12:29 PM
I have also posted the GB gospel at NS and then had a hard talk with Papa Chalk. He got really mad when I posted new thread titled:
"Nu Great Britain of XXXX Symphony Orchestra". Has been deleted. LOL

LOL. Did he explain *why* people can't talk about Group Buys anymore?

Abel K.
04-08-2005, 12:47 PM
He said advertizing is not allowed if you don't pay and he can delete any post he doesn't like for any reason, and I can go to other forum if I don't want to follow the rules...

CENSORSHIP I say!!!!!

Scott Rogers
04-08-2005, 01:04 PM
That's a mighty peculiar definition of "advertising".

dcoscina
04-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Papa Chalk obvsiously has power issues. And speaking of power, how about those wonderful individuals who have signed up for the group buy for Platinum reducing its cost significantly in a matter of days since its inception. Three cheers!

fvicente
04-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi,

If you're using Logic 7, you can buy a second G5 to use as what is known as "a node". But I don't know anything more about it. My issue is that I have no intention of going beyond one computer at this time.

The "node" technology only works with Logic plugins. Even at that, Logic's sampler (exs-24) is excluded from this capability at this time. A "node" will not do you any good with QLSO unfortunately.

FVicente

AndyFinkenstadt
04-08-2005, 03:33 PM
CENSORSHIP I say!!!!!

The thing is, he has the absolute right to enforce whatever rules are desired. He can live with the consequences, also, intended or otherwise.

To call his behaviour nazi-ish is to cheapen the atrocity that was the Holocaust, and is something I personally would avoid.

Abel K.
04-08-2005, 04:01 PM
he has the absolute right to enforce whatever rules are desired.

To have the right (not absolute though) and to manipulate it effectively creating censorship are two different things IMHO. He builds his own definition of "advertising" and overuses his right to "delete any post for whatever reason" -- which is legal of course but plainly unfair.

Stefan Podell
04-08-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't think I've ever seen the size of EWQLSO Platinum. How many GB is it?

(I'm just dreaming that I might be able to get it, so I have to figure in a new hard drive, maybe ;))

And then... How big are Gold Pro (which I've ordered) and Platinum Pro (which I'd love to order) going to be?

cc1
04-08-2005, 07:22 PM
what is the pecking order of EWQLSO? silver, gold, platinum, platinum pro?

Stefan Podell
04-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Silver, Silver Pro, Gold, Gold Pro, Platinum, Platinum Pro (for those who value articulations over mic positions and bit depth)

or...

Silver, Gold, Platinum, and each has a pro upgrade (for those who value mic positions and bit depth over articulations)

Adambomb337
04-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Question:

Does Gold Pro have close up mics?
what is special about gold pro that is not in gold?

Is Gold completely useless if I have Platinum?

The only way I think I'll buy this is if I can at least get half the money back I payed on gold recently... Will the price be even cheaper for those who have gold?

why get pro platinum in the future?

Steve Karl
04-09-2005, 01:36 AM
Question:

Does Gold Pro have close up mics?
what is special about gold pro that is not in gold?

Is Gold completely useless if I have Platinum?

The only way I think I'll buy this is if I can at least get half the money back I payed on gold recently... Will the price be even cheaper for those who have gold?

why get pro platinum in the future?

Yea it would be nice to have a page that says very clearly:
This is Gold compared to GPro and the difference is exactly this.

Also listing the upgrade prices for every specific instance in the same place
and with the same simplicity would be good.

Also I wonder about the gramatic usage of this sentence:
"The instruments and articulations that were not included in the original Gold Edition from the original Platinum Edition will be added to the GoldPro upgrade."

Specifically "will be added to" ... does that mean "are now included in ..."
And isn't it possible to have close mic. on all Platinum sounds?
So will that be the case with the platinum sounds included in Gold Pro?

Steve

amo
04-09-2005, 01:43 AM
Yea it would be nice to have a page that says very clearly:
This is Gold compared to GPro and the difference is exactly this.

Well.... Talking of Gold and Gold pro, going to the gold pro page tells you the answers:

PLEASE NOTE: The instruments and articulations that were not included in the original Gold Edition from the original Platinum Edition will be added to the GoldPro upgrade.

then it has been said that Gold pro is the same size as gold, or nearly, and it contains, in addition of those missing articulations from platinum, tons of new articulations. They are listed on Soundsonline website.

If it is to be understood, the two products will be the same, but Gold+Gold Pro is 1 mic position, 16 bits, and Platinum+Platinum pro is 3 mic positions and 24 bits. Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Regards,

Amaury

Steve Karl
04-09-2005, 01:51 AM
Well.... Talking of Gold and Gold pro, going to the gold pro page tells you the answers:

then it has been said that Gold pro is the same size as gold, or nearly, and it contains, in addition of those missing articulations from platinum, tons of new articulations.
If it is to be understood, the two products will be the same, but Gold+Gold Pro is 1 mic position, 16 bits, and Platinum+Platinum pro is 3 mic positions and 24 bits.

Regards,

Amaury

So then to be accurate the quote should read:

"The instruments and articulations that were not included in the original Gold Edition from the original Platinum Edition are now included in the GoldPro upgrade.
Those samples, however, will be down graded to 16bit and only have 1 mic position available." ??????????????????????????

Also, can it be construed that the above quote means:
All of the original Platinum instruments and articluations are now included in the Gold Pro package.
Can it? ?????????????
Was there anything in the original Gold that was not in the original Platinum?

Does the Gold Pro upgrade require part of original Gold to run, or is it complete
as a package in itself?

None of this is really clear enough for me and seems to pre-assume knowledge.

Steve

amo
04-09-2005, 02:03 AM
To me it is quite clear, but I would let Doug clarify this for us, in the end. For sure there are articulations in Platinum that are not in Gold, like Wagner Tuben, some keyswitches etc.... The new PDF Manual is quite clear about that, it says:

The quantity of articulation files varies from Platinum’s 605 separate articulation files recorded
with the F mic (and an equal number for each of C and S) to Gold’s 484 and Silver’s 185 articulation
files.

Then it says on the Gold pro page:

PLEASE NOTE: This upgrade must be used with the original library.

So I guess it answers your questions. Of course it take for granted that all those infos are right and will not change, but once again, let's Doug clarify this for us, even if he did already in the past.

Regards,

Amaury

Steve Karl
04-09-2005, 02:08 AM

then it has been said that Gold pro is the same size as gold, or nearly, and it contains, in addition of those missing articulations from platinum, tons of new articulations. They are listed on Soundsonline website.

If it is to be understood, the two products will be the same, but Gold+Gold Pro is 1 mic position, 16 bits, and Platinum+Platinum pro is 3 mic positions and 24 bits. Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Regards,

Amaury

Ok... so this means the only difference between original Platinum and Gold Pro is the bit rate and the mic positions?

Steve

amo
04-09-2005, 02:14 AM
no, gold+gold pro contains then more articulations than Platinum itself.
The analogy you make is between Gold+gold pro and Platinum+platinum pro, the only difference between those two once is mic position and bit depth. But I would like some confirmation from East West people.....

Doug Rogers
04-09-2005, 09:31 AM
So then to be accurate the quote should read:

"The instruments and articulations that were not included in the original Gold Edition from the original Platinum Edition are now included in the GoldPro upgrade.
Those samples, however, will be down graded to 16bit and only have 1 mic position available."

Also, can it be construed that the above quote means:
All of the original Platinum instruments and articluations are now included in the Gold Pro package.
Can it?
Was there anything in the original Gold that was not in the original Platinum?

Does the Gold Pro upgrade require part of original Gold to run, or is it complete
as a package in itself?

None of this is really clear enough for me and seems to pre-assume knowledge.

Steve

Steve,

Let me see if I can clarify this.

There are 3 original versions -

Silver (small 2+GB version, basic articulations, basic instruments, designed for laptops or low end systems, one 'stage' mic position, 16-bit, no release trails).

Gold (15 Gigs of data, one interface, most of the articulations from Platinum, but not all. Most of the instruments from Platinum, but not all, one 'stage' mic position, 16-bit).

Platinum (68 Gigs of data split into four Kompakt interfaces so you can run them simuiltaneously on multiple computers if you want, 3 mic positions (close-stage-hall) that you can mix. 24-bit. This is the version offered here in the Group Buy).

Last year we went back to the same hall with the same team and recorded more instruments, many more articulations and variations, added most of a "user wishlist", the result of which will approx. double the size of the original version (we will know the exact size when it's finished, this is just a rough preliminary estimate that is subject to change). There will be 3 versions of this also, Silver Pro Upgrade, Gold Pro Upgrade, Platinum Pro Upgrade. The differences between these versions will be the same as the originals. These three versions will operate independently from the originals, so if you want to use Gold and Gold Pro together you will have two interfaces on your screen. When we say you must use Gold Pro with Gold, that is simply for musical reasons as the original library has all of the essential instruments.

Regarding the missing instruments and articulations from the original Platium that are not in Gold currently - they will be added to Gold Pro, so anyone that uses Gold and Gold Pro will have exactly the same instruments and articulations as Platinum and Platinum Pro, except the Gold and Gold Pro version still only have the stage mic position and 16-bit samples. Our reason for doing this was compatibility. Compositions that were created in Gold will now work perfectly with Platinum and Platinum Pro after an upgrade, except you will now be able to mix them in Platinum 24-bit with all three mic positions which is obviously going to sound better.

Information about Silver is here -
http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-161

Information about Silver Pro is here -
http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-161PRO

Information about Gold is here -
http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-160

Information about Gold Pro is here -
http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-160PRO

Information about Platinum is here -
http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-155

Information about Platinum Pro is here -
http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-155PRO

I also encourage you to download and read through the EWQLSO Guide which is full of useful information here -

If I missed anything, please let me know.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-09-2005, 09:38 AM
35 to go to reach the lowest price.

Counter
Date: April-9-05
Number of subscriptions: 46
Days left: 26 days

Steve Karl
04-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks Doug,

It's very clear now. Much appreciated.

Steve

neoTypic
04-09-2005, 10:10 AM
So it is technically possible to use the Pro versions as standalones. Which is great for those of us on a budget that would like the new Qlegato instruments but can't afford another 3k purchase immediately.

Doug Rogers
04-09-2005, 10:13 AM
So it is technically possible to use the Pro versions as standalones. Which is great for those of us on a budget that would like the new Qlegato instruments but can't afford another 3k purchase immediately.

Technically, yes - but I wouldn't. PRO is designed to add-to the original version which has the essential instruments and articulations in it. You could use the original version on it's own, thousands have for the last 18 months, but you can't really create a piece with just PRO.

- Doug

dcoscina
04-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Technically, yes - but I wouldn't. PRO is designed to add-to the original version which has the essential instruments and articulations in it. You could use the original version on it's own, thousands have for the last 18 months, but you can't really create a piece with just PRO.

- Doug

Doug is there any way to copy the files into the original Silver or Gold instrument folders so we can combines Pro samples/articulations with the original samples? It would also be cool to have keyswitch programs that encompass ALL articulations i.e. solo oboe- have staccato from original Silver library, but also the Qlegato samples from the new where one can switch between the two on the fly.

neoTypic
04-09-2005, 09:21 PM

- Doug

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I wasn't planning on using it just by itself, but perhaps as an add-on to Platinum since I can't afford another 3k but would love to use the new solo instruments with Qlegato. I can't afford 1k right now, but it leaves that option open. I figure by the time I can afford Gold Pro it would be nice to use Gold/Pro on a laptop and then mix up to Plat on a daw farm. That's my dream ideal setup though. ;) Won't happen for some time to come.

By any chance will there be upgrade prices for the pro editions as well? Say from Gold Pro to Plat Pro?

And thank you very much for all the information you've provided so far. It's nice to get straight answers from the devs.

Doug Rogers
04-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Doug is there any way to copy the files into the original Silver or Gold instrument folders so we can combines Pro samples/articulations with the original samples? It would also be cool to have keyswitch programs that encompass ALL articulations i.e. solo oboe- have staccato from original Silver library, but also the Qlegato samples from the new where one can switch between the two on the fly.

You should be able to do this Kontakt.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Oh no, don't get me wrong. I wasn't planning on using it just by itself, but perhaps as an add-on to Platinum since I can't afford another 3k but would love to use the new solo instruments with Qlegato. I can't afford 1k right now, but it leaves that option open. I figure by the time I can afford Gold Pro it would be nice to use Gold/Pro on a laptop and then mix up to Plat on a daw farm. That's my dream ideal setup though. ;) Won't happen for some time to come.

By any chance will there be upgrade prices for the pro editions as well? Say from Gold Pro to Plat Pro?

And thank you very much for all the information you've provided so far. It's nice to get straight answers from the devs.

Yes, there will be an upgrade path from Gold Pro to Platinum Pro.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-10-2005, 08:09 AM
Group Buy is going great - tell all your composer friends about this so we can reach the magic 81 number to get the maximum discount!!

Counter
Date: April-10-05
Number of subscriptions: 62
Days left: 25 days

daustin
04-10-2005, 10:50 AM
So, I've gone for the Group Buy, but then I read that Gold Pro has more articulations than Platinum "non Pro".

While it's nice to have 24bit, and certainly nice to have more close mic options, multitudinous articulations, and some some sort of legato peformance tool a la VSL, are what I really need as a composer. Doing very nicely with 16 bit, thank you, and I can't see that 24 bit will actually sell my music any better than 16, so have I made the right choice going for Platinum rather than the Gold Pro?

As I said, horribly confused...

Derek

josejherring
04-10-2005, 11:18 AM
So, I've gone for the Group Buy, but then I read that Gold Pro has more articulations than Platinum "non Pro".

While it's nice to have 24bit, and certainly nice to have more close mic options, multitudinous articulations, and some some sort of legato peformance tool a la VSL, are what I really need as a composer. Doing very nicely with 16 bit, thank you, and I can't see that 24 bit will actually sell my music any better than 16, so have I made the right choice going for Platinum rather than the Gold Pro?

Derek

I think Platinum just sounds more professional than Gold. I don't think that you would go wrong either way. They both are great products.

Legato tool would be certainly helpful though. But are you sure about the articulations? I think that Plat. non-pro and gold pro are close to the same in that way.

Stefan Podell
04-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Group Buy is going great - tell all your composer friends about this so we can reach the magic 81 number to get the maximum discount!!

Counter
Date: April-10-05
Number of subscriptions: 62
Days left: 25 days

After the Gold group buy, I was sure you guys would rescale the magic numbers. Now, after this, I'm *really* sure.

But please, don't :)

Prophecy
04-10-2005, 12:02 PM
hello

i've got 2 questions.. for this group buy

1) if 81 is reached will the buy be closed? or will this buy accomodate as many buyers untill it ends on 4 may?

2) any experience with ordering from the netherlands? i know there will be extra taxes and stuff. but does anyone know how much

thanks

greetings
Joris

Blazinghammer
04-10-2005, 01:33 PM
hello

i've got 2 questions.. for this group buy

1) if 81 is reached will the buy be closed? or will this buy accomodate as many buyers untill it ends on 4 may?

2) any experience with ordering from the netherlands? i know there will be extra taxes and stuff. but does anyone know how much

thanks

greetings
Joris

I can answer the first: No limit on the number of buyers until the GB ends May 4. The Gold GB reached somewhere in the neighborhood of 820 buyers (!)

HTH,

Blazinghammer
04-10-2005, 01:38 PM
I think Platinum just sounds more professional than Gold. I don't think that you would go wrong either way. They both are great products.

Legato tool would be certainly helpful though. But are you sure about the articulations? I think that Plat. non-pro and gold pro are close to the same in that way.

No, Gold Pro has all the instruments and articulation of Plat, and a new set of each (approx. double the samples in all), albeit 16 bit and only stage mic position.

Blessings,

Esperlad
04-10-2005, 02:28 PM
This sounds like a good deal that I should not pass up. I got Gold, and enjoyed using it, and then I ordered Gold Pro. If I get Platinum, I would only want to get Platinum Pro...is it possible to 'swap' the pre-ordering from Gold Pro to Platinum Pro?

Adambomb337
04-10-2005, 04:11 PM
2 Questions for Doug:

Since the idea of the group buy is to acommodate those who wouldn't normally buy the product, do you have some additional discount for those who just bought the Gold group buy?

I am no orchestra composer, so I see no need to get plantinum (16bit is fine) unless there is some additional discount to make platinum worth buying... Dishing out another $1000 + doesn't seem worth it to me... because I already have gold...
I'm sure you would get a lot more buyers if you added something extra for the gold group buy people...

Also, do you have extended discounts like Image-line does? For instance, if I own other east west products, do I get some kind of discount on other purchases?

neoTypic
04-11-2005, 06:06 AM
Quick question: are there "downgrade" prices to say Gold or Silver? Eventually I'd like to purchase one or the other for use on a laptop so I can compose "in the field" and then mix up later.

I don't think Silver Pro contains all the missing articulations otherwise I'd definitely go for that for a laptop. Doesn't need to sound absolutely stunning, just enough to get an idea of the sound and to be able to sync up presets that will match while being able to load up a full orchestra on a laptop.

Doug Rogers
04-11-2005, 09:32 AM
Quick question: are there "downgrade" prices to say Gold or Silver? Eventually I'd like to purchase one or the other for use on a laptop so I can compose "in the field" and then mix up later.

I don't think Silver Pro contains all the missing articulations otherwise I'd definitely go for that for a laptop. Doesn't need to sound absolutely stunning, just enough to get an idea of the sound and to be able to sync up presets that will match while being able to load up a full orchestra on a laptop.

Contact sales@eastwestsounds.com for details.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-11-2005, 09:33 AM
This sounds like a good deal that I should not pass up. I got Gold, and enjoyed using it, and then I ordered Gold Pro. If I get Platinum, I would only want to get Platinum Pro...is it possible to 'swap' the pre-ordering from Gold Pro to Platinum Pro?

Yes, you can do this. Send me a PM if you want to do it.

- Doug

Michael Naz
04-11-2005, 10:17 AM
2 Questions for Doug:

Since the idea of the group buy is to acommodate those who wouldn't normally buy the product, do you have some additional discount for those who just bought the Gold group buy?

I am no orchestra composer, so I see no need to get plantinum (16bit is fine) unless there is some additional discount to make platinum worth buying... Dishing out another $1000 + doesn't seem worth it to me... because I already have gold...
I'm sure you would get a lot more buyers if you added something extra for the gold group buy people...

Also, do you have extended discounts like Image-line does? For instance, if I own other east west products, do I get some kind of discount on other purchases?

Additional discount besides $1800 off??

Doug Rogers
04-11-2005, 11:10 AM
NEWS FLASH!!! NEWS FLASH!!! NEWS FLASH!!! NEWS FLASH!!! NEWS FLASH!!!

THE 60% DISCOUNT HAS BEEN REACHED IN JUST ONE WEEK!!

THE PRICE FOR ALL PURCHASERS UNTIL MAY 4, 2005 WILL BE $US1198 - NO ADDITIONAL PAYMENT WILL BE REQUIRED!!

GROUP BUY COUNTER (will be updated daily)

Counter
Date: April-11-05
Number of subscriptions: 83
Days left: 24 days

amo
04-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Congratulations for that sale and to all the future happy-users of Platinum !

Regards and cheers to all
Amaury

I wish I could be one.... :o

cc1
04-11-2005, 02:30 PM
1. I would like to purchase the platinum pro version.
2. Do I buy the GB platinum version then upgrade?
3. What would be then be the total price (GB platinum + pro upgrade) to go to platinum pro?
4. How would I go about ordering it (buy the GB platinum first -or buy the pro version with a GB discount)?

Tks,
-c

Doug Rogers
04-11-2005, 03:25 PM
1. I would like to purchase the platinum pro version.
2. Do I buy the GB platinum version then upgrade?
3. What would be then be the total price (GB platinum + pro upgrade) to go to platinum pro?
4. How would I go about ordering it (buy the GB platinum first -or buy the pro version with a GB discount)?

Tks,
-c

This Group Buy is for the Platinum Edition that is available now at a 60% discount. You can get more info about the PRO UPGRADE here -

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-155PRO

- Doug

FilmComposerZ
04-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Congrats guys. Great Group Buy!

These group buys are awesome. Will be waiting for the RA and Collosus, hopefully!!! Would love Platinum but I am afraid I won't use it's full potential as I don't even use Gold's full arsenal of samples.

Chaim Goldman
04-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Congrats guys. Great Group Buy!

These group buys are awesome. Will be waiting for the RA and Colossus, hopefully!!!

Same here just adding Symphonic Choirs as well. :D :cool:

neoTypic
04-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Wow, congrats on the great success you've had already with the group buy!

Thanks ever so much for your quick responses and help Doug.

johnyc
04-12-2005, 12:22 AM
With a single license how many different computers can the full platinum library be installed and used on?

Brian2112
04-12-2005, 12:48 AM
With a single license how many different computers can the full platinum library be installed and used on?
2 per module = 8 computers (if you spread it out that way)
...2112 :)

calaf
04-12-2005, 05:54 AM

Derek
I don't undestand also (except mics position and 24 Bit) what is the exact difference between platinum and gold pro? i need to know in order to take the proper decision ;and the prices of the upgrades from silver to gold pro and from platinum ro platinum pro.
some help will be appreciated .thank you

madfiddler
04-12-2005, 07:02 AM
Just a note of caution to Doug and Nick... after the Gold Group buy, a certain number of the libraries were on ebay.co.uk so you may want to keep an eye on that..

M

Doug Rogers
04-12-2005, 07:43 AM
I don't undestand also (except mics position and 24 Bit) what is the exact difference between platinum and gold pro?

That is the difference, but these are significant differences that affect everything, most importantly, the overall sound quality.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Just a note of caution to Doug and Nick... after the Gold Group buy, a certain number of the libraries were on ebay.co.uk so you may want to keep an eye on that..

M

We appreciate this information. Can you PM the links to me and we will have them removed. Ebay are usually very cooperative.

Thanks,

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Counter
Date: April-12-05
Number of subscriptions: 94
Days left: 23 days

daustin
04-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the clarification re Gold Pro versus Platinum, however....

I appreciate the value of 24bit and multi mic positions, but still worry that I've made the wrong choice, as to me more articulations and Qlegato (though I haven't tried that, of course) are more urgent.

Am I right in assuming that Plat Pro has ALL the articulations and Qlegato that Gold Pro has?
If so, that's great, but then I'm looking at an upgrade from Plat to Plat Pro, currently listing @$2995, unless, of course, there are plans for a Group Buy for that update....?

Have I got this right, at last, and if so, can I cancel my Plat Group Buy order in favour of a Gold Pro update, if I should want to?

Many thanks to Doug for his help to us all, and by way of encouragement, (not that these guys need it) I can tell you that several friends here in UK who have spent big bucks on VSL
are feeling a bit green after hearing what Gold sounds like...

Derek

Doug Rogers
04-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the clarification re Gold Pro versus Platinum

Derek,

I sent you a PM about your order.

- Doug

dach
04-12-2005, 12:30 PM
I don't know if this will help anyone, but here's a .pdf comparing Gold, Platinum and the Pro versions. This was pulled directly from the Sounds Online site. I needed to do a side by side comparison to help me determine whether to go with the Platinum Group Buy.

I'm having trouble attaching the pdf... any advice is appreciated.

Chuck

Doug Rogers
04-12-2005, 01:53 PM
I don't know if this will help anyone, but here's a .pdf comparing Gold, Platinum and the Pro versions. This was pulled directly from the Sounds Online site. I needed to do a side by side comparison to help me determine whether to go with the Platinum Group Buy.

I'm having trouble attaching the pdf... any advice is appreciated.

Chuck

Here's the download link -

- Doug

dach
04-12-2005, 06:16 PM
>>>Here's the download link -
Doug<<<

Doug,

Actually, this is a bit different and a little bit easier to digest that how it's represented in the manual. I did a direct side by side comparison of Instruments and Articulations for Gold, Platinum, and the Pro Upgrade. The information was copied directly from their respective pages. This is actually what I've been looking for but could not find it anywhere. I own Gold and ordered Gold Pro but solo instruments and small ensembles that are close miced are a bit more useful for me. I just needed to lay everything out in front of me. Makes for a tough decision.

http://www.wyckhamhall.com/PLATINUM-GOLD-PRO.pdf

Chuck

neoTypic
04-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Doug<<<

Doug,

Actually, this is a bit different and a little bit easier to digest that how it's represented in the manual. I did a direct side by side comparison of Instruments and Articulations for Gold, Platinum, and the Pro Upgrade. The information was copied directly from their respective pages. This is actually what I've been looking for but could not find it anywhere. I own Gold and ordered Gold Pro but solo instruments and small ensembles that are close miced are a bit more useful for me. I just needed to lay everything out in front of me. Makes for a tough decision.

Ok, I see the doc has exceeded the maximum file size of 39.1K. I'll guess I can email to whoever wants it.

Chuck

If you don't have somewhere to host it, send me a PM and I'll give you my e-mail address and I'll host it for you.

Doug Rogers
04-13-2005, 06:48 AM
Doug<<<

Doug,

http://www.wyckhamhall.com/PLATINUM-GOLD-PRO.pdf

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, if you would like to add Silver and Silver Pro to your chart, we will make it available on our site.

- Doug

dach
04-13-2005, 07:02 AM
I add those as soon as my tax extensions are filed!

The doc also probably needs to be checked. Although I pulled everything from the site... I'm going from memory, but I didn't see "Large String Section" listed under the Gold column.

Chuck

Doug Rogers
04-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Counter
Date: April-13-05
Number of subscriptions: 100!!
Days left: 22 days

amo
04-13-2005, 07:08 AM
dach >>>> also, I feel it would be good to put a reminder that all articulations of platinum that were missing in gold will be added in gold pro.

Thanks for that,
Kind regards,

Amaury

Lynne Moquin
04-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Since,
if Gold has very limited artics for eg. solo flute and solo violin, Platinum may be useful for a sprinkling of solo instruments or ensembles without crashing my poor G4 (I mistyped 4 with shift as $, very funny, coincidental.)

Looking for opinions.

All i hear is two bottom lines, "yes you can use Platinum" and "no way can you use Platinum"

many thanks !

Lynne

dach
04-13-2005, 03:00 PM
The revised Plat/Gold/Silver/Pro comparison chart is located @
http://www.wyckhamhall.com/EWQL-comp1.pdf

Someone may want to proof in case of mistakes, however everything was compiled from the website.

Chuck

Doug Rogers
04-13-2005, 08:45 PM
The revised Plat/Gold/Silver/Pro comparison chart is located @
http://www.wyckhamhall.com/EWQL-comp1.pdf

Someone may want to proof in case of mistakes, however everything was compiled from the website.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck.

I uploaded the file to our server here and placed it on each product page with the 'Guide' -

http://www.soundsonline.com/EWQLSO_Comparison.pdf

- Doug

Silicon Audio Labs
04-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Good to see you HERE Doug! Fresh air. Nice move. :)

amo
04-14-2005, 12:41 AM
Hi Dach,

I just looked at your document, and the "large string Section" is empty, for the gold and platinum editions..... I have with my gold a large string section with at least 6 articulations (don't remember right now).
Also, but this is a matter of choice, there is no mention of keyswitches, which in my sense could give a false idea to new customers....
Just thoughts. Nice job, thanks,

Regards,
Amaury

Doug Rogers
04-14-2005, 06:56 AM
I add those as soon as my tax extensions are filed!

The doc also probably needs to be checked. Although I pulled everything from the site... I'm going from memory, but I didn't see "Large String Section" listed under the Gold column.

Chuck

Btw, I didn't have time to check your pdf, so if any mistakes are reported by users, please correct them and send me a replacement.

Thanks,

- Doug

dach
04-14-2005, 07:13 AM
I do know about the "Large String Section" missing in the Gold and Platinum lists. It's not on the Gold or Platinum web pages either. I'll try to correct that today. Does anyone have the correct name and articulations for "Large String Section" used in Gold & Plat?

The other question I have is for "Silver" users. Someone please verify that the following articulations are in the correct category.

"4 Bass/Tenor Bones":
4TB Stac Fast.nki
4TB Sus X-Fade.nki
4TB Sus.nki

"Solo Bass Tenor Bone":
STB Stac.nki
STB Sus.nki

As far as keyswitches goes, I was only making a quick comparison to help me decide whether or not to purchase the Platinum group buy. I don't currently have the time to do much else. If anyone wants to compile that, I'll send them the spreadsheet and they can add whatever they want to.

Thanks,
Chuck

amo
04-14-2005, 07:32 AM
I'll look into the large string section when I'm at home and send you a PM.

Regards,
Amaury

Doug Rogers
04-14-2005, 07:40 AM
I do know about the "Large String Section" missing in the Gold and Platinum lists. It's not on the Gold or Platinum web pages either. I'll try to correct that today. Does anyone have the correct name and articulations for "Large String Section" used in Gold & Plat?

The other question I have is for "Silver" users. Someone please verify that the following articulations are in the correct category.

"4 Bass/Tenor Bones":
4TB Stac Fast.nki
4TB Sus X-Fade.nki
4TB Sus.nki

"Solo Bass Tenor Bone":
STB Stac.nki
STB Sus.nki

As far as keyswitches goes, I was only making a quick comparison to help me decide whether or not to purchase the Platinum group buy. I don't currently have the time to do much else. If anyone wants to compile that, I'll send them the spreadsheet and they can add whatever they want to.

Thanks,
Chuck

It might be good to start another thread about this so we can stay on topic here.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Counter
Date: April-14-05
Number of subscriptions: 105!!
Days left: 21 days

neoTypic
04-15-2005, 04:32 AM
Just to be sure, has shipping started? How long from the time of order can we expect it to arrive?

Thanks!

Doug Rogers
04-15-2005, 06:47 AM
Just to be sure, has shipping started? How long from the time of order can we expect it to arrive?

Thanks!

Shipping has started. Those that ordered first will get theirs first, that's how we always do it, and delivery also depends on location. If you are overseas it takes a few days longer.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-15-2005, 06:49 AM

Counter
Date: April-15-05
Number of subscriptions: 116!!
Days left: 20 days

Lynne Moquin
04-15-2005, 01:40 PM
I'd like to hear some of the solo instruments from Platinum.
As in, more than what you can ascertain from the EW site demos.
Does anyone have an mp3 to send me or links ?
many thanks !

Lynne

Composer
04-16-2005, 07:21 AM
I don't know the link but some one posted a very nice piece using the harp and solo violin from platinum on NS - very pretty and convincing. I dont have an account at NS, though, so I can't search for it. But you may want to check it out. Not only were the samples convincing, but it was actually a good composition too (imagine that!)

Doug Rogers
04-16-2005, 09:14 AM

Counter
Date: April-18-05
Number of subscriptions: 128!!
Days left: 17 days

neoTypic
04-19-2005, 03:03 AM
And now I'm an official participant of the Group Buy. Woohoo. ;)

calaf
04-19-2005, 04:19 AM
since it is the last days of the platinum group buy,i am still hesitating between Gold and Platinum.
My worry is to be able to use platinum on my powerbook,using of course a single mike positon.
How many instruments will i be able to play without having to freeze tracks (Logic 7)?
the issue is mainly about the power consumption of the gold /platinum(24 bit).
I have 1Ghz Ram and a powerbook G4 1,5.
For instance lately i work a lot on classical woodwinds orchestrations (2-2-2-2)often with SIBELIUS is it possible to open such samples on the laptop with platinum or do i need to use gold for the moment (waiting for G5)?
Some help would be nice .

amo
04-19-2005, 04:23 AM
It is very hard to say, Calaf.... If you do orchestrations for only, say, 8 instruments, and for composition you use only one articulation per instrument, then you do a work track by track for more articulations, and make renders, I think you could be fine using platinum.... Maybe some more expert people would help better....
Still, you would need to put the samples on an external fast hard drive I guess.

Regards,

Amaury

Doug Rogers
04-19-2005, 07:52 AM

Counter
Date: April-19-05
Number of subscriptions: 136!!
Days left: 16 days

ComposerNYC
04-19-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm so glad to hear that it's shipping already! Doug, can you give any indication about approximately when it's going to go out, like for buyers 1-50, 80-100, 100-120, etc?

neoTypic
04-19-2005, 08:30 AM
I'm so glad to hear that it's shipping already! Doug, can you give any indication about approximately when it's going to go out, like for buyers 1-50, 80-100, 100-120, etc?

I'll second that. ;) *excited*

Esperlad
04-19-2005, 12:25 PM
I got mine yesterday. There were a lot of boxes. :)

Doug Rogers
04-19-2005, 05:23 PM

It will be a few days before we can resume shipping as we ran out of one volume. Fortunately we had it on order and our fullfillment center will assemble the sets in the next few days.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-20-2005, 08:26 AM

Counter
Date: April-24-05
Number of subscriptions: 155!!
Days left: 11 days

Cobb
04-23-2005, 12:02 AM
Hi,

I'm interested in the current group buy for EWQL Platinum Orchestra and have a few questions.

I'd be using this with Logic Pro 7, Mac G4 1.25Ghz, Dual Processor, 2GB Ram - DTDM, TDM - Digidesign 888/24 audio hardware.

1) Will my computer be powerful enough to run Platinum successfully? I'll need to do "mock up" orchestral arrangements.

2) I also have a G4 400. Is it possible to connect the two computers together to gain more CPU power?

3) How is the Platinum library accessed in Logic? ... What is the AU plugin that I would use?

4) I'm confused about Platinum and Platinum PRO. What is the difference? And what would it cost to upgrade to PRO if I buy Platinum through the group buy?

Thanks for your time,
Cobb

neoTypic
04-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi,
1) Will my computer be powerful enough to run Platinum successfully? I'll need to do "mock up" orchestral arrangements.
It should. It's been suggested to me to add another gig of RAM (currently 1.5GB RAM) and I believe Doug has said the Macs they are running it on are using 3Gigs. Just be realistic and don't expect to be running all three mic positions at once. Write using the close or stage mics and then bounce the three mic positions for all your parts and mix the resulting audio files.

2) I also have a G4 400. Is it possible to connect the two computers together to gain more CPU power?
I believe I've heard it mentioned that Logic has a connection feature. There are programs that exist that allow you to use virtual midi cables over a LAN/network to transfer data as well.

3) How is the Platinum library accessed in Logic? ... What is the AU plugin that I would use?
MAC (VST®2.0, ASIO™, Soundmanager™, OMS™, Audio Units™, Core Audio™, **RTAS™)

4) I'm confused about Platinum and Platinum PRO. What is the difference? And what would it cost to upgrade to PRO if I buy Platinum through the group buy?
Platinum contains the original sound set, PRO is an upgrade that adds new Qlegato instruments as well as more articulations, and new instrument sections. The 30% preorder discount has been recently extended so it would cost roughly 2.1k to purchase the Platinum PRO upgrade if you bought it now.

Hope that helps.

ComposerNYC
04-24-2005, 11:13 AM
I got my Platinum set at the end of the week & after installing & starting to play around with the sounds, I have to say, I'm incredibly impressed with the product. I'm a devout VSL user, so I wasn't quite sure what this library would be like, and I'm thrilled with the quality of it. It will be a great standalone orchestra, but will also blend really well with the VSL stuff. The fact that something so massive is available at the group buy price ($1198?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!) blows my mind, and makes me happy that I splurged and joined the buy. It's easily worth the full retail price.

Congrats on a successful group buy - this one was a steal!

Kerry

Doug Rogers
04-24-2005, 11:47 AM
I got my Platinum set at the end of the week & after installing & starting to play around with the sounds, I have to say, I'm incredibly impressed with the product. I'm a devout VSL user, so I wasn't quite sure what this library would be like, and I'm thrilled with the quality of it. It will be a great standalone orchestra, but will also blend really well with the VSL stuff. The fact that something so massive is available at the group buy price ($1198?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!) blows my mind, and makes me happy that I splurged and joined the buy. It's easily worth the full retail price.

Congrats on a successful group buy - this one was a steal!

Kerry

Thanks Kerry, for VSL users this is a bargain they shouldn't pass up. VSL and EWQLSO each have a different sound, and having both at your disposal guarantees you will have the right tools for the job at hand.

- Doug

neoTypic
04-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Agreed. Whenever I hear someone debate VSL/EWQLSO it drives me batty. I love the sounds of both and I'd love to have both, EW just made the decision of which to get first easier. ;)

I should be getting mine early this week. Glee! :D

Doug Rogers
04-25-2005, 07:15 AM
10 days to go!!

If you are going to join this Group Buy - PLEASE!! - don't wait until the last day. Our server took a beating at the end of the Gold Group Buy and we would like to avoid that, plus your wait to receive the product will increase significantly.

Counter
Date: April-25-05
Number of subscriptions: 157!!
Days left: 10 days

sugar hari
04-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Dear EastWest / Doug (or Jennifer?) - a few days ago, I placed an online order for Gold Pro (extended 30% off discount).

But ...after tossing and turning + pacing with a fair amount of "head-in-my-hands" sudden, intuitive perception, not to mention 4th chakra bellyflops and waking up my 'ol man in the middle of the night to *talk about it*, I realize what that "still small voice" has been trying to say all along --"Why didn't you jump on the Platinum Group Buy wagon? Whadd'ya nutz?" Sure, it's the 60% discount, but also the 3 mic positions that are driving me to drink (apple juice). Is it too late to cancel the Gold Pro in favor of the Platinum? If a new transaction is possible, would a person e-mail the webmaster@soundsonline with an inquiry or telephone (for emergency only) the offices.

:rolleyes: Laurie

Doug Rogers
04-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Dear EastWest / Doug (or Jennifer?) - a few days ago, I placed an online order for Gold Pro (extended 30% off discount).

But ...after tossing and turning + pacing with a fair amount of "head-in-my-hands" sudden, intuitive perception, not to mention 4th chakra bellyflops and waking up my 'ol man in the middle of the night to *talk about it*, I realize what that "still small voice" has been trying to say all along --"Why didn't you jump on the Platinum Group Buy wagon? Whadd'ya nutz?" Sure, it's the 60% discount, but also the 3 mic positions that are driving me to drink (apple juice). Is it too late to cancel the Gold Pro in favor of the Platinum? If a new transaction is possible, would a person e-mail the webmaster@soundsonline with an inquiry or telephone (for emergency only) the offices.

:rolleyes: Laurie

Very funny! ;)

I sent you a PM.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
04-26-2005, 06:38 AM

Counter
Date: April-27-05
Number of subscriptions: 178!!
Days left: 8 days

DallasComposer
04-26-2005, 09:30 AM
I have waited and researched long enough and I had to break down and buy it, now how am I going to sleep!! oh the waiting the waiting!!. Anyone have a word on how long it takes to get this package? I just had to ask. I'm still trying to digest StormDrum and next on my list is Symphonic Choirs, then Ra, then ......... :-)

iGuitarist
04-27-2005, 02:31 AM
Hi everybody!!!

What EastWest SoundsOnline does with this reduced group buy price is MINDBLOWING!!! Having a full high-quality orchestra at your fingertips for less than 1200$ is just CRAZY!!! Compare this to the situation where you had to hire a real orchestra for recording sessions (I guess with 1200 $ you will get half an hour of recording time or so...).
Anyway, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS OFFER!!!
Because you know what? It makes this reachable for anyone! I just graduated on the Conservatory of Antwerp (Belgium) and I know how hard it is to get all this material because normally it's too expensive to get your hands on.
Little remark: NOW THE PLATINUM EDITION IS LESS THAN EDUCATIONAL PRICE!!! (which is 1499$)
For me, this is like winning the lottery... ;)

Well guys, let's make some music now!! When I will have my first demo, I'll post a link!!!
Many Belgian greets,

Peter Knockaert

www.peterknockaert.be (http://www.peterknockaert.be)

Dark Realms
04-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Hi folks.

I eventually bit the bullet and ordered the group buy for Platinum - an opportunity not to be missed - having Gold for almost a year now and the chance to get Platinum for about the same for what I paid for Gold?!! I'd be mad not to go for it!

Thank you so much Doug and all concerned for this great deal.

I also consider it to be an investment as it will never go out of fashion, in that an orchestra will always sound like an orchestra though where future productions will go remains to be seen.

Well, we know the Pro versions are rumbling closer but what on earth is next?

Here's to a great opportunity!

Cheers,

Mazhar.

Doug Rogers
04-28-2005, 07:50 AM
Counter
Date: April-29-05
Number of subscriptions: 190!!
Days left: 6 days

iGuitarist
04-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Just like DallasComposer I'm quiet curious when I can get the package...
Does anyone have experience with the time needed for overseas shipping? (Belgium to be specific...)
Note to Doug and other EWQL-guys: do not feel any pressure, but I'm just so nervous to get my hands on it... ;)

Doug Rogers
04-30-2005, 09:29 AM
201 lucky composers have now joined the PLATINUM CLUB at an unbeatable price!!

:) :)

Counter
Date: April-30-05
Number of subscriptions: 201!!
Days left: 5 days

iGuitarist
04-30-2005, 02:26 PM
WE BROKE THE 200-BARRIER!!!!!!!!!
THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to all the buyers!!!

Peter269
04-30-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm a devout VSL user, so I wasn't quite sure what this library would be like, and I'm thrilled with the quality of it. It will be a great standalone orchestra, but will also blend really well with the VSL stuff.
Kerry

If you have GS3, or if you buy GigaPulse VSTi on release, you can pan VSL inside GigaPulse so that it matches the QLSO panning quite nicely.

deathadder79
04-30-2005, 07:00 PM
This makes 7 boxes worth of EWQL Libraries for me... ;)

MKS
04-30-2005, 07:21 PM
I couldn't handle it. I've lost too much sleep for three weeks straight. I bit the bullet and ordered today. Hopefully I'll sleep very well until the credit statement arrives. :)

Prophecy
05-01-2005, 02:32 AM
Well after 2 months of listening to every demo (official and user) of every orchestral library in excistence i finally orderen EWQL So plat.. (though every library has is pro's and cons this one seemed most complete and right now also the best affordable.. thanks soundsonline for the great group buy idea)

I can't wait :)

neoTypic
05-01-2005, 04:35 AM
For those curious, mine is scheduled to arrive Monday morning. It took a little under two weeks and probably the only reason it took so long was because they had to restock. :p

Congrats on yet another sucessful group buy guys!

Doug Rogers
05-01-2005, 08:48 AM

Counter
Date: May-02-05
Number of subscriptions: 219!!
Days left: 3 days

AndyFinkenstadt
05-01-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm still trying to talk work into buying Platinum... but we're in the midst of preparations for E3, so getting attention at a "sign this purchase order, trust me" level is somewhat difficult. :)

-andy

iGuitarist
05-02-2005, 04:22 PM
My package already arrived!!! In less than a week from US to Belgium (Europe)
This is just to give an idea to the rest of you who are still waiting!

Funny sidenote: at the same time of ordering the library, I ordered an extra harddrive for my G5 for the needed 68GB's...
Well I have my library, but I'm still waiting for my hard drive to arrive :D Absurd, isn't it... :D

And last but not least: TO ALL GUYS WHO DIDN'T SIGN IN FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY: YOU HAVE 3 DAYS LEFT!!! JUST DO IT!!!

neoTypic
05-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Just got it this morning. I only had time to load the strings up on my harddrive and I'm having some problems registering with NI (seems like their server is having hiccups). Having some problems with drop out (probably a combination of wrong buffers and not having time to set it up right.

The solo violin is WONDERFUL. It just felt so natural playing it - just playing to the strengths of the one patch. I can't wait until I have some time to really dig into the patches and do some programming to play stuff on the fly. There is so much potential for expression.

I can't wait until I get through setting it up and getting things working properly.

I'm just blown away by the potential this product holds for people willing to take the time to learn it and I haven't even gotten to install anything but the strings yet.

Thank you!

Expect me to be in the troubleshooting forums soon. You've had your warning! ;) *laughs*

theiss2003
05-03-2005, 05:33 AM
Hi Doug,

although I participated the Gold-Group Buy last year, I want to congratulate you for this successfull platinum-group buy.

To all the 200+ lucky souls: Have fun with this extremely valuable monster-package. ;)

Best wishes,
Seb

Doug Rogers
05-03-2005, 07:32 AM
This ends today at midnight (USA pacific coast time), this is your last chance to save $1800!!!

Counter
Date: May-04-05
Number of subscriptions: 278!!
Days left: ENDS TODAY!!!

DallasComposer
05-03-2005, 10:27 AM
I received mine and installed it and it’s unbelievable! (well 3 of the 4, I'm saving the woodwinds for tonight, I wanted the thrill to linger :) ) A very special THANKS for offering this great deal to us consumers. You guys are truly a ‘world class’ company (as well as Native Instruments) if anyone is still doubting, there is no question about it, buy it now!!

Thanks again Doug and all of you who made this possible. I will definitely be purchasing
more of your great products.

dubaifox
05-04-2005, 06:45 AM
I am kinda bummed. I wanted to jump on this or the Gold Crossgrade deal, but there still has not been an update or fix for the Kontakt player in Pro Tools (RTAS)

When oh when!!!!!!!!!!

I have been waiting over a year for this..........................

Kim Song
05-04-2005, 07:39 AM
Hi there,

I am sitting here in front of my computer in Zurich, Switzerland thinking about if I should really buy this package. I already got the silver edition that is not bad at all except for the some brass instruments.
Can you let me know when the order has to be placed at the latest? Concerning that I am in Switzerland the lateste possibility will not be midnight :-) and I have no idea where you're located at (time difference).

Thanks for all information and keep on trying to convince me to buy that bundle.

cheers
kim

tickdoker
05-04-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm really interested in the group buy. Anyone have any experience running Platinum or Gold on a g4 933 1.5GB ram using Pro Tools RTAS? Can I run the library in Kontakt 1.5 or Kontakt2 more efficiently? Would I be able to have say a violin instrument, french horn instrument, clarinet instrument, and a low brass instrument all open and playing at the same time? I compose for TV where I need flexibility and as many things to remain midi as possible without having to bounce down. Anybody's input using it this way would be greatly appreciated. I would love to make the jump into top professional quality library. Right now I have the Garritan Personal Orchestra and not only is it's sound quality lacking, but I can only run about 2 instruments and it freaks out my computer. I would love some input on the efficiency of the EWQLSO because I want to get in on the group buy.

Thanks,

Tickdoker

Waywyn
05-04-2005, 08:46 AM
even on your pc with gpo you should be able to run a lot of tracks with your computer.
it wonders me that you just can open 2 instruments and your computer freaks out. you should at least be able to open 4 or 5 kontakts on one machine.

but as always it is a matter of your buffer size of the soundcard and the buffer and voice settings within each vsti, like kompakt/kontakt/or kompakt or kompakt players.

if you have these settings right you can handle a complete orchestra with at least one mic position. i work with gold on three computers and i am able to open a preset with around 150 MIDI Tracks with each computer running around 3-4 completely filled up kontakts.

on my main machine (3,8 Ghz, 2GB Ram) i should be able to open at least all necessary basic instruments or section (leg&stacc and some other stuff) without any problems.

amo
05-04-2005, 08:48 AM
To Kim>>>> The time difference between swiss and California (where is EastWest, I think), is 9 hours. I if I make no mistake, you should be able to place your order until tomorrow morning nine. Please anyone correct me if I do a mistake.
Though, I'd advice not to wait for the latest minute to order, just in case anything would go wrong.....

tickdoker>>> You should be able to use at least a full contakt player (8 instruments) with the RAM you have, if you use the DFD option. Do you use it with GPO ? Because two instruments seem very very little.... To turn it on, go to options>DFD.

Regards,

Amaury

dubaifox
05-04-2005, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=Waywyn]even on your pc with gpo you should be able to run a lot of tracks with your computer.
it wonders me that you just can open 2 instruments and your computer freaks out. you should at least be able to open 4 or 5 kontakts on one machine.QUOTE]

He (like myself) is using Pro Tools on Mac. There are well documented problems using EWQL and NI programs on Mac with Pro Tools.

We get about 30% out of our set-ups as other people do.

Just the way it is until Digidesign or NI fixes the problem.

Doug Rogers
05-04-2005, 04:52 PM
This ends today at midnight (USA pacific coast time), this is your last chance to save $1800!!!

Counter
Date: May-04-05
Number of subscriptions: 298!!
Days left: ENDS TODAY AT MIDNIGHT!!!

AndyFinkenstadt
05-04-2005, 09:45 PM
T-minus 135 minutes for me to be tempted . . . .

Doug Rogers
05-05-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks to all of those that participated, another very successful Group Buy

Counter
Date: May-05-05
Number of subscriptions: 326!!
Days left: ENDED

Stefan Podell
05-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Wow, Doug. That's awesome. Congratulations to you and all the new Platinum-ites!

neoTypic
05-05-2005, 08:17 AM
Man that's a lot of money. *laughs*

Stefan Podell
05-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Good point. So my official message is:

"Thanks to all of you who bought Platinum in this group buy. In so doing, you have helped a great company to continue to produce fantastic new sample libraries for all of us."

Chaim Goldman
05-05-2005, 09:02 AM
$1198 X 326 = $_ _ _ , _ _ _ !

I wish you Doug and Nick allot of success on future group buys as well.

FYI, I posted this Group buy announcement on two other forums for you (when it started) I hope it pulled in some sales.

cKaz
05-05-2005, 09:49 AM
$390,548.000 (not bad for a month) ;)

AndyFinkenstadt
05-05-2005, 11:00 AM
1200 - cost of materials (box, dvds, manuals) - cost of licenses (kompakt) - cost of royalties (if any, to the orchestra or hall or other third parties) = gross profit.

net profit is lower.

Any way you look at it, an extra 6-figures of revenue for a mature product.

And well-earned, too!.

Dark Realms
05-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Congratulations to everyone concerned with the Platinum Group Buy!

Thanks Doug and all concerned for the opportunity to own one of the best (if not THE best) orchestral sample libraries ever made.

I'm glad I went for it - hope the rest of you are too!

Best wishes to all,

Mazhar.