PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody !

moro
01-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Hi everyone, my name is Alessandro and I write from Italy, play the piano and trying to get back to composing.
When I was younger I started using only midi expander, never got in touch with sampler or virtual instruments.
Now after some years of a different job I would like to get back to music and composing (I can't stay away from that)
I see in the mean time many things have changed with technology and sounds.
I have listened to theese amazing Eastwest sounds and I am really astonished !
So I have some newbie questions about which are the requirements to use theese fantastic sounds and start composing again !
Which software is needed ? It's enough to purchase sounds (and managing them with a sequencing software with a midi keyboard attached ? Are sample sounds treated as a Midi events inside the sequencing sofware ? What else is needed ?
Now I have the opportunity to buy a Digidesign Mbox2 with Protools (although I have always used Cubase) putting everything on a Dell Latitude D800 laptop with 1Gb of Ram and XP Prof SP2.
Also I own a PC desktop (Athlon xp 1.6 Ghz)
Can I start with this equipment ? Thanks for your replies, I really need yr help at this starting stage and I am a bit confused (sorry for the stupid questions)
If I decide to choose a dedicated MAC, which model is suitable ?
Thanks for you patience I feel like I have to start everything from scratch.:)

Sisyphus
01-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Welcome Alessandro! I'm new here too, and like you, also getting back to composing after years of neglect. I'm maybe not the best person to advise you on software and equipment because I'm just learning this stuff. But you might consider adding more RAM since it's fairly inexpensive and most useful for music production.

-Ken

Beach
01-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Hey Alessandro,
welcome to the forum...
I am italian so let's keep up our flag!!! ;):)

Scrivimi se vuoi...ora pero' sono in LA!!

Ciao,
Roberto

Scott31
01-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Welcome Alessandro,

I am not sure on all the equipment you have but every computer these days comes with some kind of sound card that you should at least be able to access for getting up and running, getting used to your writing program, etc. They usually sound pretty thin but it is a great place to start. When you get around to using Eastwest sounds, I am not sure if 1GB of RAM will really do it or not. Looking at the boxes I have for EWQL products, they say a minimum of 512MB but suggest 1GB. I would suggest you make sure your system is expandible - probably to 2GIG. I have 1.5 and I get audio artifacts from time to time but not as bad since I updated all the programs with the Direct From Disc extension (free updates on pretty much every program you see here from Eastwest/Quantum Leap and at least some of the others they sell.

I am not sure what you have in the way of hard drive space but you will want to make sure you have plenty for the audio. MIDI doesn't take up much more space than writing a letter so you are ok there. The other thing I suggest is backing up your data as frequently as you feel you need to. I hate to lose work I have done over a computer issue.

Really, it comes down to getting comfortable with the tools you have and mastering them. The sounds you can always add as you go. When you are comfortable, you are likely to be more creative and energetic about what you are doing. Play around with it and have a lot of fun!

Good luck,

nickysnd
01-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Alessandro and I write from Italy, play the piano and trying to get back to composing.
Welcome to the universe! :)

Which software is needed ? It's enough to purchase sounds (and managing them with a sequencing software with a midi keyboard attached ?
That's pretty much it, any sequencer will do. You'll need a sampler for playing the samples. Kontakt is a serious option to consider.

Are sample sounds treated as a Midi events inside the sequencing sofware ?
Exactly. All you need is midi skills, working with patches, program changes, and other controllers.

What else is needed ?
Oh, many things, like a lot of time, passion, nerves of an angel, etc. ...

Speakers are most important. Go for powered near-field monitors, check the KRK.

Now I have the opportunity to buy a Digidesign Mbox2 with Protools
Go for it! Although I'd recommend M-Audio Firewire 410 and ProTools M-Powered. Less expensive, and similar audio quality. With the saved money you can buy better speakers!

(although I have always used Cubase) putting everything on a Dell Latitude D800 laptop with 1Gb of Ram and XP Prof SP2.
You'll probably need a firewire external disc at minimum 7200rpm, for your samples. It should be large enogh for your libraries.

Also I own a PC desktop (Athlon xp 1.6 Ghz)
Can I start with this equipment ?
Don't know Athlons. If it's compatible with MBox, then it should be fine, I figure. Read the specifications of the softawres you wanna buy. Read the specs of EW libraries as well.

If I decide to choose a dedicated MAC, which model is suitable ?
The best you can afford! Mac is reliable and friendly. Go for one with at least 1.6 GHz processor and at least 1.5GB of RAM. G5 is a great machine, and not too expensive.

I feel like I have to start everything from scratch.:)
All my admiration for that!

Nash
01-29-2007, 05:15 AM
Welcome Alessandro!

I agree with scott and nickysnd. No passion no nothing:D

Finally, prepare some money because you are about to spend. EW sounds are ADICTIVE!!!!:p

fongi
01-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Hey Alessandro ! this site is full of Italians :D but I love anything Italian especialy Toscana IŽll be back there this summer again, good wine, good food and nice people and just a 12 hour drive from here !! YouŽll have fun here welcome.
Chris

WoodIsGood
02-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Welcome. I was in your country last fall and had a wonderful time! Great people, Tuscany was beautiful, and of course the food and wine was amazing. Not so sure about the drivers though :D

You'll learn a lot on these boards. There are some very intelligent people here who are always willing to help.