PDA

View Full Version : My first mp3 here

perceive
06-13-2005, 12:14 AM
Hi all,

Well this is the first mp3 I have posted a link to here.

I am definitely in the rank amateur category so please don't get your hopes up!

The libraries used were:

EWQLSO Gold
DKFHS
VOTA (Tho all choral librarires will hopefully be replaced with EWQLSC after tomorrow *drool*)
SAM Trombones
DIVA Bundle.
Gigapiano

Oh well here are the links:
Retalliation 128 Kbit (http://www.songsofsolitude.org/ccount/click.php?id=12)
Retalliation 320 kbit (http://www.songsofsolitude.org/ccount/click.php?id=13)

Thanks for listening!

Steve

Kayamb
06-13-2005, 01:14 AM
Hi!

You say you're amateur, but you have a killer weaponery! :eek:
I wish I had all that ;)

This piece is cool. Very mysterious. These sustained shrilling violins help to get this atmosphere. The female voice is spellbinding.

In the end (since 3:38), I think the violins feel too weak compared to the percussions. On the other end, the low percussions resound too much! My desk was trembling :D

Maybe there's too much reverb on the percs or, maybe you should cutt off low frequencies of the reverb.

Good job!

perceive
06-13-2005, 03:06 AM
Thank you so much for your comments and your very observant criticism.

Maybe the drums comes from listening to too much industrial music? :D

Anyway I have changed the mix somewhat....added some frehnch horn to buffer the midrange and reduced some of the lower end for a flatter mix. It is a little rushed and I ought to be sober to do it, but it is an improvement IMO.

I must say the EWQL sounds are generally so wonderful I wish I had a subwoofer just to make sure I can hear the detail all the way down to those scary frequencies down in the real low regions..

perceive
06-13-2005, 03:26 AM
Okay site was down while I uploaded newer mix following kayamb's suggestions. Sorry about that!

tchoyy
06-13-2005, 03:51 AM
Interesting,

Is the woman breathing sometimes ?
This is a little thing that I think is not very realistic,
She is singing during 1 minutes without breathing, you should cut a little bit sometimes.

Kayamb
06-13-2005, 06:35 AM
Hi Perceive,

I agree with Tchoyy, I think you want to let her breathe some times ;)

I have listened your update, I don't want to be contradictory, but I think that now your low percs are too weak.

I think that compression may be useful with it. You want it to be loud, but not resounding too much. It also has to do with the reverb but I am not too sure.

So, I'd suggest: try to compress your low percs track (what kind of percs is it by the way?), and add some gain. It'll be loud but you'll keep it under control.
Considering the reverb, try to cut off low frequencies ("low cut" or "high pass") on your reverb plugin.

Finally, you want to turn up the gain of the master track. Use a normalizer or a maximiser. You also can use a compressor to make it even louder. I think your track is interesting but it suffers from being too weak in volume.

The violin in the end, also sounds a bit mechanic. You want to slightly change the velocity of each note, and maybe add some reverb on it, to make it feel less dry.

That's only my guess from what I can hear.

Good luck! ;)

Daigohji
06-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Hi

Considering that the first half of the track is pretty much the same elements repeated continuously, you could do with giving it more of a progressive build up to stop it from getting monotonous. In it's current form it feels like its supporting visuals that we can't see, and can't quite hold the listener's attention on its own. Additionally, considering the way you're playing the strings towards the end, you could get a much more natural sound by switching them out for a staccato articulation.

I'd say my over-riding impression was that you have a specific context in mind for this piece, but without knowledge of it the listener's immersion is diminished.

perceive
06-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Again I must express my thanks all the comments have been quite useful. One of the over riding goals aI had here was to write the track as quickly as possible as it helps me actually stop procrastinating. I think the next couple of tracks I do will be quite flawed, as this one is, while I am still learning but I do find it very valuable that people are willing to spend their time posting their ideas and thoughts that may help me along the way.

Again, thanks.

tchoyy
06-14-2005, 01:05 AM
Laurent Juillet, in one of his doc, said that in order to get something a little bit more realistic, we should take care of voices, brasses and woodwinds.
Obviously, These instruments cannot play the same note during a long time, think that the artists must breathe ! Otherwise, they'll die ! :D
It's the first thing I learned about orchestral writing (thanks Laurent ! ;) )

Kayamb
06-14-2005, 01:11 AM
Lol, what happens if some musicians die while composing our demos? Do we have to send them back to the tech support at EW? :D

tchoyy
06-14-2005, 01:25 AM
Lol, what happens if some musicians die while composing our demos? Do we have to send them back to the tech support at EW? :D

Maybe we should ask Doug... :D

tchoyy
06-14-2005, 01:36 AM
"Hello tech support,

I've got a problem with EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra :

I was playing my demo and a woodwind played a note a long time and so he died.

I'm sending him back to you in order you to send me an another musician.

he was a great artist, rest in peace man...

Thank you... snifff"

Kayamb
06-14-2005, 01:44 AM
Lol, poor guys. It's true that we make it hard for them. ;)